Modifying a Suien VC?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado_cutter

Reaction score
Hi folks. I recently picked up a Suien VC cleaver (thanks, Ben!). I like my CCK 1303 a lot, but wanted to try out something with better steel and in a larger size. My only trepidation was the belly on the Suien- I'm used to something flatter. I figured I'd try it out anyway. As it turns out, yep, I do have a preference for more blade on the board and less rocker.

How tough would it be to modify the Suien to be flatter? I have a Beston 500 as my coarse stone, but no diamond plates or anything like that. Also have a few coarse cheapo aluminium oxide stones. Suggestions?
thanks!
John
Boulder

I did just that to my Suien VC.I think it would take too long & wear a grove in your Beston.I used a Belt & a constant water bath.I dip the blade in a pan of water every few seconds.I was concerned that the blade edge would be wider in the middle,but after I thinned behind the edge wt. Atoma 140 all along the blade road it worked out fine.

The quality of the steel in the Suien VC is better than the CCK 1303.You deff. do not want to mess it up wt. heat damage.You could try it wt. your coarse oxides or a sidewalk,but I can tell you it will take alot of elbow grease doing it that way.

I just did a thinning on one for one of friends of mine.
It was not nice to thin, so I think to change the whole shape of the blade would be hell to go through without a sander.

Not to montion that this cleaver is waaaaay to thick to begin with.

Sell me the Suien and buy a cleaver with the profile you like :)
Well, that's an idea. :biggrin:
But what else is out there that is nice carbon and has a relatively flat blade? The Sugimoto #6 comes to mind, but that's a little more than I want to spend, even used...

Latest posts

Back