“One-man” operations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some are prelaminated, some are not. Sending him some metal as we speak. Similar to Mizaki, the less expensive stuff is prelaminated

I’m curious what the woman does? Also, if each smith works on one part or if each one does 1 project when it comes to special orders like mine.

I feel they will become much more popular over time. I have a really special project that was agreed to that I think will really push things to a new height.👍🏻

Isamitsu use prelaminated bar stock (maybe the iron clad lines are forge welded in house) and def not a 'one man' operation. Its actually a 2 man, 1 gal operation.

Is Isamitsu heat treating AS to the same levels of hardness as TF? What about their white steel treatments?

Have they also adopted TF's ability to hand forge the stainless cladding over the core steel? Or are they using pre-clad billets?

Last edited:
Toyama doesn't forge weld the majority of his production so I would be tempted to eliminate him from the list. And K. Kato doesn't appear to install handles (maybe for some retailers), although its the blade that should be primary consideration here. Bonus points to Jiro and Kato for using the traditional Sen.
What's traditional Sen?

Toyama doesn't forge weld the majority of his production so I would be tempted to eliminate him from the list. And K. Kato doesn't appear to install handles (maybe for some retailers), although its the blade that should be primary consideration here. Bonus points to Jiro and Kato for using the traditional Sen.
Kato uses a beltgrinder, no sen (every bladesmith/knifemaker said this with just a look at his work) . Look at his finishes. This is a simple belt grinder finish..... Maybe for his single bevels.
Toyama forge weld nothing (rumours say they are forge welded by Watanabe ;) ), like Maxim said. No one of them makes the handles...
But this is in no way quality related. All good knives.

If you want real warikomi you have to buy a tsukasa river jump....

SirCutALot

Kato uses a beltgrinder, no sen (every bladesmith/knifemaker said this with just a look at his work) . Look at his finishes. This is a simple belt grinder finish..... Maybe for his single bevels.
Toyama forge weld nothing (rumours say they are forge welded by Watanabe ;) ), like Maxim said. No one of them makes the handles...

SirCutALot
Well the vids of Kato show him using a sen. You don't achieve the complex subtle curvature pattern on a belt grinder. Maybe the final brush finish is done on a belt grinder or wheel. Maksim might say otherwise.

Jiro does real warikomi construction too. He also makes the handles on his Yo blades, not sure about the Wa.

Last edited:
Well the vids of Kato show him using a sen. You don't achieve the complex subtle curvature pattern on a belt grinder. Maybe the final brush finish is done on a belt grinder or wheel. Maksim might say otherwise.

Jiro does real warikomi construction too. He also makes the handles on his Yo blades, not sure about the Wa.
Is't Wakui's blue Warikomi also?

Wa handles on Jiro are from Hitohira. Their wenge handles are exclusive to him (at least when I asked about a wenge handle on a different knife, that’s what I was told a year ago).

SirCutALot
Sen only does the rough metal removal, has nothing to do with the final surface finish

SirCutALot
What is “real” warikomi? Is there prelam warikomi used for Japanese knife production?

Jiro does real warikomi construction too.
I own two Jiros and they are both made with San Mai technique not Warikomi.
I think he makes it like Kato with only iron tang and cutting steel only on the blade., but i`am not sure about this.

What is “real” warikomi? Is there prelam warikomi used for Japanese knife production?
Real Warikomi is like the on the picture from Miyazaki. If you can see the cutting steel on the knife neck it is "just" San Mai.

But this does not matter at all, and has nothing to do with quality of a knife. I love reactive claded knifes but technically monosteel is always better even better then damascus (depends on used steel for sure).

SirCutALot

I know I may catch flack for this, but ill say it anyway.

While not Japanese, he's greatly influenced by the Japanese style and traditions...

Daniel Cauble @DanielC creates blades, performing everything start to finish himself... And that's including JNat polishing.

He even makes incredible crucible steel.

I know I may catch flack for this, but ill say it anyway.

While not Japanese, he's greatly influenced by the Japanese style and traditions...

Daniel Cauble @DanielC creates blades, performing everything start to finish himself... And that's including JNat polishing.

He even makes incredible crucible steel.
I haven’t used a blade from him but have talked to a few people who own/have done customs with him. Based on what I’ve seen him create, I’d take a knife from Daniel before anyone who’s listed in this thread.

A knife that has been forged, shaped, sharpened and handled by a single skilled craftsman adds significant value.

What your guys’ opinions are on Jiro’s knives being more sought after than other Japanese one-man operations?

Mazaki is the only other one man operation based in Japan that comes to mind at the moment.

I've not read through the entire thread, apologies of trodding over the same footsteps.

For me, it doesn't add value if a knife is forged, shaped, sharpened and handled by the same hands. I typically value a knife that's very well made—be it from a single person, or a workshop, etc.

Some of my knives are from one-person shops—Yanick, Bryan, Bjorn, Jonas, Mazaki. While others are forged and sharpened by different people—Takada, Tetsujin, Kikumori, Watanabe, etc. All good knives, just different business models. I do like collabs of people doing what they’re expertise is.

Industrial pre-laminated warikami billet is called "Rikizai". Most blacksmith will use industrially made rikizai or san-mai. The failure rate of in-house forge welding is quite high (10-30%ish) apparently.

Here's an explanation of the process that Junichi-san made for me.

IMG_20230615_081755.jpg

and a few workshop pics
DSC_0790.JPG
DSC_0789.JPG

Industrial pre-laminated warikami billet is called "Rikizai". Most blacksmith will use industrially made rikizai or san-mai. The failure rate of in-house forge welding is quite high (10-30%ish) apparently.

Here's an explanation of the process that Junichi-san made for me.

View attachment 248728

and a few workshop pics
View attachment 248736View attachment 248737
Rikizai (prelaminated/sandwiched) bar stock is not warikomi, which is a style of metalworking whereby the core steel is inserted into the cladding. Basically the softened cladding steel is partially split into a 'V' and the core is then inserted into the gap. Traditional nihonto uses the same technique. Jiro shows how it's done. I don't know of any commercial source of warikomi and neither, I assume, does @Markcg, hence his question. He's yet to get a response.

warikomi.jpg

Last edited:
The terms Warikomi and San mai are used interchangeably in Japan. I'm guessing this is where a lot of the confusion comes form.

Does anyone really care if there is soft steel wrapped over the spine? What the hell difference could it possibly make in a kitchen knife?

It’s just a whole lot of fun to say “Birgersson taco”. Don’t take that away from me.

On a more serious note, taco would be cool for damascus-clad so you can see it flow uninterrupted over the spine.

Rikizai (prelaminated/sandwiched) bar stock is not warikomi, which is a style of metalworking whereby the core steel is inserted into the cladding. Basically the softened cladding steel is partially split into a 'V' and the core is then inserted into the gap. Traditional nihonto uses the same technique. Jiro shows how it's done. I don't know of any commercial source of warikomi and neither, I assume, does @Markcg, hence his question. He's yet to get a response.

View attachment 248739
Ahhh, this is something I misunderstood, I always thought Rikizai was warikami bar stock and San-mai was the 3 layer sandwich flat billets.

Back