1.76 Million Dollar Bluefin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wire line for Ono here as well. I think the biggest Yellowfin I've caught was around 80# but we do have taken multiple big eyes over 100#. One thing I've always wanted to do was see the HNL fish Market but we've never done that. This thread is making me want Loco Moco and spam misubi. :cheffry:

Wahoo (ono) do have some pointy teeth, although not the little razor blades like kingfish or Spanish mackerel. If you are someplace like Hawaii, Louisiana or the "Badlands" in the Bahamas where there are enough of them to actually target, then wire is good. With that said, we have caught them by "accident" a number of times on fluorocarbon leaders. Bigeye are more closely related to yellowfin, I do belive, but I think that in some places, people have actually confused them with "schoolie" bluefin and that can cause you some problems if bluefin are off the menu at the time, so to speak and you think that you have a bigeye. :( By the way, my understanding is that the term ahi in Hawaiian is used to describe both yellowfin and bigeye.

Dave you mentioned Yellowtail is not that the same fish as Japanese Hamachi?It is farmed in Japan,the meat esp.belly is very rich & oily.At Kahala we would bring in Hamachi,frozen,wt.out head or tail.Used it VIP Sushi & Ahi- Hamachi combo sashimi.

I'm with you,like that belly meat.When I would clean & cut Salmon filets for service would always save the salmon belly either to fry up on the flatop or use in soup.

Jim you are right most people don't know the diff. between yellowfin & bigeye both are called Ahi

Japanese yellowtail is a member of the jack family also known as the Japanese amberjack, whereas our south Florida yellowtail is a small member of the snapper family. We smoke great amberjack in parts of Florida, but I would say that our best tasting jacks are probably the two pompano species and smaller permit.

I'va had smoked Jack but I have to admidt I never knew any one ate permit. I used to surf cast for Jacks and bluefish in Fl. The larger Permit are a lot of fun on the flats in the Keys or if you can hit the tide right by the Seven Mile Bridge.
Keith I remember for a while there it seemed like every place on the Kohala Coast on the BI was serving the Kampachi they were raising in the deep water pens right off Kona. Did they end up shutting that operation down?

Dave, I have heard that most of the permit that get eaten are the small ones that people sometimes mistake for (or sell as) a pompano.
I'va had smoked Jack but I have to admidt I never knew any one ate permit. I used to surf cast for Jacks and bluefish in Fl. The larger Permit are a lot of fun on the flats in the Keys or if you can hit the tide right by the Seven Mile Bridge.
Keith I remember for a while there it seemed like every place on the Kohala Coast on the BI was serving the Kampachi they were raising in the deep water pens right off Kona. Did they end up shutting that operation down?

I'm not sure,as far as I know they are using those open ocean cages.On Oahu Moi farming was going on in cages off Wainaie.The Hawaiians cultivated Moi in fishponds.there has been an effort to get some of these fishponds functional.Moi is good eating as well tender white meat fish.

With the word demand for seafood,farming is an alternative,it's not problem free though.Sometimes I'm willing to pay a little more for wild caught Alaska Salmon.

Has any one been watching the Geographic channel series Wicked Tuna? Second season starts tonight.

Back