100 degrees and knife shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't thought about it but I drink 2 or 3 of the small cans of spicy v8 each day.
I drink them to keep my blood sugar from going out of whack because I get busy and forget to eat during the day.

With my job, the heat of Ontario summers, and the fact that on a normal day, I'm supposed to drink 3 liters of water and a Gatorade (according to my doc), I've learned to really listen to my body, and also how to rehydrate and get my electrolyte levels up quickly. When I start feeling out of whack, I mix a glass of orange juice, a tablespoon of salt and two cups of water (with sugar, sometimes) and chug it. After that, I have a banana and glass of water and I'm good. To go after a few minutes of sitting down. On top of that, I eat a banana every morning and afternoon (potassium). It sucks, and a trip to the ER, is enough to scare anyone.

For what it's worth, my resting heart rate is about 48-50, so that comes into play as well....

Anywho, I'm gonna try the V8 idea. Great tip, Son!

You guys be careful taking salt tablets as treatment for dehydration. The volume losses due to sweating in a hot environment are very hypotonic; the water losses are much greater than the salt losses. Blood levels of sodium go up in dehydration. Taking salt tablets could make that worse. The best treatment for dehydration is water or gatorade type fluids.

What, are you a doctor something? Oh...wait....

Back