180mm Gyuto's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep there is a video of Teruyasu Fujiwara talking about Mothers handing down knives to their daughters. :) Just saying nothing wrong with santoku design.

Thanks for all the suggestions, also this thread has been funny as hell.

I do feel like anything at or below a 210 gyuto is shunned, but I've found over the years of using a vast spectrum of knives, I personally gravitate towards 210's, at least in an at home setting. I know a lot of people say they're uncomfortable with 240's +, but for me it couldn't be further from the truth, there are many nimble full length knives and although somewhat embroiled in nostalgia, an original KS is maybe my favorite knife of all time and that comes in over 250. But... I still just prefer 210's. And I love longer, taller petty's even though I feel like it's almost the most unneeded knife aside from a nakiri, which happens to be my favorite style, whether impractical or not.

The thing that sucks about 210's though, is a lot of them seem to really alter the awesome profile of it's 240 counterpart, which is what it was probably originally designed as and then shrunk, but never proportionately, or maybe disproportionately. So is it worse with a 180?

But I digress, cause that's why I started this thread haha. Anyway, keep the rec's and the Santoku trashing coming. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with Santoku. Like riding a moped - can be fun but you don't want your friends to see you doing it.....

Nothing wrong with Santoku. Like riding a moped - can be fun but you don't want your friends to see you doing it.....

Lmao, I swear someone just quoted the same to me on FB the other day... :laugh:

Yeah, i used to think i could buy a moped, untill i learned to ride a motorcycle. Then, i was just like uh id rather ride a motorcycle. Anyways, one of my favorite knives for the house is a 240 kono ginsan, which everyone hates on for being so short. Anyways it feels like a 210 and i love it for the house.

I have an extra thick Catcheside 180 monosteel that I use more than almost any other knife. It's a great little beast. Mine is nearly identical to the one in this video.

[video=youtube;6dCZIXpTRpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dCZIXpTRpI[/video]

Idk. Here a scooter is not so useful but when I lived in the city in Spain I had one and it was a very useful means of transportation. Many of my friends had them and many of my students as well. Cheap, good on gas and free parking that you don't have to drive around for an hour to find unlike with a car...Not a moped but close enough. :)

IMG_1419.jpg
My watanabe 180 guyuto in arts-34 could easily pass as a santoku. Either way it works at treat!

this is doi santoku profile, also not bad

faca-japonesa-santoku-suisin-serie-hayate-by-itsuo-doi-tam18cm.jpg

Back