• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

180mm or 195mn Kato Gyuto (Kiyoshi Kato)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Khashy, I think that warrants a UK meet up. If you are local to London, I know a couple of us here that would be interested.

It's possible. I'm supposed to be based in London but end up having to move around quite a bit. I think a meetup is possible with sufficient planning.

I'll stay out of the Kato debate in the thread. I'm clearly biased and there are enough posts about the positives that people have experienced.

It's possible. I'm supposed to be based in London but end up having to move around quite a bit. I think a meetup is possible with sufficient planning.

I'll stay out of the Kato debate in the thread. I'm clearly biased and there are enough posts about the positives that people have experienced.

kato is a great knife no doubt but at the same time there are other goodies out there hehe

My experience is i have owned a 240 workhorse, and held a 210 non-WH for comparisons to other knives.
Its a great knife for many reasons but i do somewhat feel somewhat duped by the community, because i only read amazing things about the blade. It seems that its all that is talked about. My dings against it: 1. The edge retention is decent at best 2. Its excessively tremendously reactive i would say 3x more reactive then any other steel i have ever held. Its so reactive with fresh exposed steel that it will discolour potatoes, with a little patina not so much but by that time the edge is dull.
And the one thing that is amazing, just stupendous about the knife is the grind, best grind i have experienced. but that does not stay once you need to thin the thing. All your left with is reactivity, and decent edge holding. ** YMMV **

Sorry everybody. At the very least you can show your friends the cool knife while watching the maxim video in the background. :spin chair:

Great to hear your views LucasFur and it helps make this community "keep it real". I think thinning will be my greatest challenge on Kato, but that will not be for some time.

Inzite, damn I wish I could try out your custom denka cleaver. Could you pm me how much it cost. I'm pretty sure it is out of my price range though.

And found a 180 Kato workhorse!

Much appreciate all of the responses.

It's going out soon.
wa4LoXv.jpg

Back