1st attempt Saya-Like object

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a fatal error with the saya.
It does not fit snug to the bolster because I did not thin the glue on the inner edge of the spacer and this prevents the blade from going all the way in. So this is a temporary saya until I make a new one.

I was happy with the rest of the shaping and finishing. I have had this ebony for a while and had never made anything with it. It is a lot nicer than I thought.

s002-1.jpg

s003.jpg

s004.jpg

s005.jpg

After talking with Pesky for a while yesterday he/we came up with the idea to taper the spacer from top to bottom.
That should help to match the blade taper for a better fit.
So that is what I will try on the next one.
If that doesn't work out, I will get some chisels and try that way.

your getting there for sure, and that wood looks outstanding. soon ill make saya orders from you :D

Very nice!!! I really like the way you did these with the spacer and wood panels on the outside, so I went to WoodCraft yesterday and got some 1/8" thick pieces to try some saya's out! I even found a bent neck chisel for like $15 or so, so I can try carving some out, too! These look like a fun project!!

Looking really good Mark. You've come a long way in a very short amount of time. Can't wait to see more.

wow. :doublethumbsup:

i would love to see a saya and handle from same piece of burl wood in line. :D

Mark, Those are beautiful. I really like the dark striped one, what ebony is that

Mark, Those are beautiful. I really like the dark striped one, what ebony is that
The ebony is striped ebony from indonesia.
Not sure the exact variety.
There are a couple dozen varieties. Usually generically called Macassar though incorrect.
This came from drops I bought from a sawyer who milled them for an importer back in the 80s.

Back