1st Pass-Around Effort . Cleaver Anyone ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
some of the cleavers i have mic.ed that had "distal taper " was really more like a clip point grind with the thickest part of the cleavers tip/frone edge being about mid way up the blade
not the fluuly flat ground distal taper that one normaly thinks about
i thihnbk i will haver ot photoshop a pic to show what imm talking about

Bill is a very talented knifemaker that I'm drooling over the thought of what he'll come up with for kitchen knives, this cleaver project should be a lot of fun too.

ok kind of like this but since i did it quickly its a bit crude
cleaver-grind.jpg

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave , I'm hoping to have some fun with it .

Butch , Thanks for showing me that pic , I'm going to shoot for a true distal taper . Hope it turns out as well as my minds' eye sees it .​

That looks nice. And I like the overall dimensions - my favorite cleaver is 100mm tall. It's flatter than I've ever seen a cleaver before. I'm not sure how that would translate into cutting on the board. At 220mm, that will be a lot of blade in contact with it, and I've never needed to slice anything that long! (except maybe noodles).

Re: distal taper, my Forum cleaver doesn't have any at all, either full or the type that Butch describes. It makes for some extra weight, but it's certainly thin at the edge where it counts, and the spine on my cleaver's not going through any food anyways either at the tip or elsewhere, so I'm not sure that a distal taper matters as much as with, say, a gyuto where the entire width of the tip is cutting through food so you want it thin throughout.

The only time I've ever thought "this tip should be thinner" on a cleaver is while "dicing" mango or avocado.
I'm looking forward to seeing this come to fruition, Bill!

After much searching of the forums , past and present , I looked at everything I could find about Fish and his plethora of rehandle work .
I see why he is held in such high regard ...​
One of the last things I read was a statement Andy made on another forum , about he and Fish speaking on cleaver handles . Basically they agreed that a short , stubby handle and fatter toward the rear is best ; regardless of whether it was Wa ,Western or Round (if I read it right) .​

I really wanted to do a Wa handle , so I'll do my best to respect tradition , while at the same time try to bring something from the lessons taught by Fish ...​

I cut the steel out today and took some pics . I'm not sure about posting a WIP yet , but I'll keep taking photos .​
Going to the grinder now .. I'll keep you posted ..​

Bill​

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. Good luck, can't wait to see some results.

I went crazy and cut out 3 cleavers ...

2 will have Wa style handles .. the 3rd will have a Western handle .​
And the 3rd .. I took some liberties with ...​
I'll try to post pics later .. Been having some trouble with that lately .​
Bill​

I remember that discussion, and in case you didn't see it, I have the pictures but can't figure out how to upload them here. I can send them to you though.

3 your a brave man. I have been asked to make one MP3 pl so we shall see

There is a BBQ joint out east of Tampa that makes killer grub. But the other thing I find cool about it is that the guy prepping the meat uses two standard western style meat cleavers to chop it up the for sandwiches and he does it with rhythm than sounds like he is playing a drum solo. Seeing that done for a number of years makes me want to eventually try a cleaver.

I found this thread kinda late, but better late than never. There's been a lot of great discussion and advice here already and it sounds like Bill has been serious about doing his homework and then jumping in with eyes&ears wide open.

I dont have much to add at this point, but id be really excited to get in on the passaround.

I found this thread kinda late, but better late than never. There's been a lot of great discussion and advice here already and it sounds like Bill has been serious about doing his homework and then jumping in with eyes&ears wide open.

I dont have much to add at this point, but id be really excited to get in on the passaround.

I think this is dead and gone. Haven't heard much from BillT lately.

Oh...
Got here from a link in another post.... didnt see the dates on this one.
Bummer! There was a lot of good info put into this one and BillT sounded promising...
I hope everything is OK with him, life has a way of getting in the way of plans. Also, maybe he discovered that grinding big square things is harder than small pointy things.
Well, hopefully the info in this post will be useful to the next ambitious guy who wants to climb the cleaver mountain.

I got to talk with him at last year's ECG. Shortly after I believe he had a disagreement with one or several people on this board and decided us kitchen knife folks were too fussy to deal with, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back