2017 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday May 21 in Alexandria, VA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is a seat still available for Zaytinya and no one from out of town steps up my daughter (15yo) was pretty upset I did not reserve a place for her so I will claim it - if it stays open. She is a little on the quiet side but enjoys being around adults. She's up for trying any food so I'm good with the chef's choice for her.
Bill, the spot got claimed within minutes of me sending the note, but I will reach out to the restaurant and see if they can add one more. They are very accommodating, so I suspect it will not be an issue.

David,

Just wanted to express my gratitude -- which I am confident is shared by the other ECG attendees -- for all the work you did to make it what I regard as a totally successful event. You were a terrific host and so generous in opening up your great home -- love that kitchen! -- to all of us.

(Now if I could only remember and figure out how you explained I might find the recipe for that excellent chicken . . . .)

Thanks,
Larry

P.S. Thanks of course to all the others who contributed, including (but certainly not limited to) Dennis, Bill, Butch and Doug.

Larry:

Thank you for the kind words. It was great getting people from 5 states + DC together in one place again.

I will scan the recipe tomorrow and email it to you. I forgot about pulling out the magazine yesterday afternoon so you could take a digital pic. A scan on a real machine will be better anyway, though.

Ditto on the sentiments from Larry. David, thank you for hosting and organizing, and thanks to everyone else for the delicious food and enjoyable company!

Is anyone going to post pictures? (My iPhone attempts were too substandard.) If any pictures are posted -- maybe even of the dinner the evening before? -- might also be helpful, at least to me, to attempt to identify some of the people pictured, since I am always so bad with names, and matching names to faces. Just a thought.

I posted a few pics to Instagram, but will try and get them onto KKF tonight. Not promising I'll meet a schedule though -- as it is, I forgot to bring in the magazine w/ the jerk chicken recipe today, even though I laid it right next to me wallet and keys last night. :O

As far as pics with faces and names, I personally avoid that on public forums, unless the person/ people are already a public presence (like some of the makers). Lots of $$$ tied up in peoples' knife collections, so I would hate to shine the light on someone and have someone out there target them. I may be a little extreme here, but I generally assume if someone does not use their full name on a forum they really are not trying to be easily identifiable to random strangers.

If you tried out any of Don Nguyen's knives at the ECG, please send me an email with your thoughts/ comments, and I will compile and forward to him.

Thanks!

David,

Let me be another voice thanking you for another wonderful event. Tricia was concerned initially that she might not fit in, but was blown away at the kindness and generosity of the members with their time and expertise. I left with one of Butch's beautiful blades, and she left with a new found desire for expensive metal. What have we done? :biggrin:

Russell

P.S. I wouldn't mind a copy of that chicken recipe as well.

. . . .
As far as pics with faces and names, I personally avoid that on public forums, unless the person/ people are already a public presence (like some of the makers). Lots of $$$ tied up in peoples' knife collections, so I would hate to shine the light on someone and have someone out there target them. I may be a little extreme here, but I generally assume if someone does not use their full name on a forum they really are not trying to be easily identifiable to random strangers.

Makes sense -- but, frankly, I only had first names in mind.

Back