2023 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday, July 16, Washington, DC Area

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was an absolute blast, great to meet folks in person. Thanks to David for hosting the chaos.

Since the paper planes were popular, here's my super secret recipe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_plane_(cocktail)
Paper Airplanes were going down too easy.
Great meeting lots of folks in person for the first time. Delicious cocktail, and some amazing foods. Ribs, pork chops & ribeye, fresh made pizza and killer tacos. Such a good time. Thank you for being the host with the most, David, and thanks again for the bandaid

20230716_124219.jpg
20230716_124229.jpg
20230716_144302.jpg
20230716_144234.jpg
20230716_144237.jpg
20230716_144243.jpg
20230716_144248.jpg
20230716_144253.jpg
20230716_144257.jpg
20230716_144309.jpg

Dave puts on such a great event that my wife joined me for the second year in a row!

It was great to see so many KKF guys in person like @marc4pt0, @julestools, @Chang, @musicman980, @tylerleach, @ch_br, @FishmanDE, @toddnmd and others.

We also had some great knife makers present including Tony LaSeur, Henry Hyde, Butch Harner, and Billy Nelson of E1even Knives. I didn't get to meet or speak to everyone, but it was a great event and I hope to be back next year!!!

So many gems, but I'll say this one stood out just on sheer design creativity. Plus it was freaking comfortable in hand. And having used a few of his (Laseur) knives, I imagine it'll perform just as well as it looks/ feels.

Not sure what he's going to call this style, frame integral?

So many gems, but I'll say this one stood out just on sheer design creativity. Plus it was freaking comfortable in hand. And having used a few of his (Laseur) knives, I imagine it'll perform just as well as it looks/ feels.

Not sure what he's going to call this style, frame integral?
How about "Tuxedo Topper"? :D

Randy's knife may have been knocked down slightly to 2nd after a decade or so.

Kind words from such an attractive man 😌

Welp, a majority of it is gonna hit BST soon, so pay attention y’all!
Pro Tip: You can sell for a premium if you include a set of worn underwear with each knife. Of course most buyers will immediately put them on eBay for big profit!

Biggest hurdle is you'll need to start wearing underwear...

Great to see everyone again this year! I have finally made it back on the forums to post. Hopefully I can maintain some activity again. ~_~

Some beautiful knives, and amazing food as always. Thanks again to Marc for taking over cocktail duties this year, and a very big thanks to David for hosting us once again!

I alllllmost made it to actually looking at/playing with knives before everyone was packed up and heading out. It -will- happen next year.

And yeah, Chef @Chang 's collection is insanity.

... I bought a knife which I should not have this year. It will be used next year, to make poke bowls and sashimi. Maybe even sushi pizza?!

Great to see everyone again this year! I have finally made it back on the forums to post. Hopefully I can maintain some activity again. ~_~

Some beautiful knives, and amazing food as always. Thanks again to Sam (@captaincaed ) for taking over cocktail duties this year, and a very big thanks to David for hosting us once again!

I alllllmost made it to actually looking at/playing with knives before everyone was packed up and heading out. It -will- happen next year.

And yeah, Chef @Chang 's collection is insanity.

... I bought a knife which I should not have this year. It will be used next year, to make poke bowls and sashimi. Maybe even sushi pizza?!
Mike, you were a freakin' trooper! (yet again, I should add) Andrew, Pat and Colin went waaaay beyond the call of duty with the ribs and pork shoulder tacos, but you brought it to another level. You ran a full pizzeria largely by yourself. Thanks a million! And for you too, @rogue108 .

I made an edit to your post to properly recognize Sam for his stellar work on the cocktails. That was a massive contribution by someone who flew across the country to be here. Not to minimize Marc though -- he's been a cornerstone of ECGs for many years. And this time he actually stayed past 3:00 pm and found out the event is much more relaxed after the main crowd departs.

WRT Chang's Essence, I'm pretty sure he could partner with Kim Khardashian and roll out a product internationally.

Mike, you were a freakin' trooper! (yet again, I should add) Andrew, Pat and Colin went waaaay beyond the call of duty with the ribs and pork shoulder tacos, but you brought it to another level. You ran a full pizzeria largely by yourself. Thanks a million! And for you too, @rogue108 .

I made an edit to your post to properly recognize Sam for his stellar work on the cocktails. That was a massive contribution by someone who flew across the country to be here. Not to minimize Marc though -- he's been a cornerstone of ECGs for many years. And this time he actually stayed past 3:00 pm and found out the event is much more relaxed after the main crowd departs.

WRT Chang's Essence, I'm pretty sure he could partner with Kim Khardashian and roll out a product internationally.

Thank you for the edit, and again to Sam. And also Marc. And everyone else, really. And thanks for the props, I was pretty happy with how the pizzas turned out after not having done more than 2-3 in my own kitchen since last summer.

Also big thanks to Chang and Andrew and Pat and Colin and everyone else who I missed for cooking. Also the hatch chili pimento cheese that Russ brought was fiiiire. I still need to figure out what I want to do with a hot sauce with the ones he brought for me.

Also, another big thanks for the young lad who came down from Boston with the coffee. Sorry I forgot your name! T_T

Next year, poke bowls and sashimi/sushi rolls. Or if the weather is not as hot, pizza again but with a prep table setup outside next to the oven.

I think I will actually be able to get Dan from Chacho and Daniel back out again for a bit more of a full bar setup like previous years.... hopefully!

Mike O: Dang, another year of me taking on something for the ECG that kept me working non-stop the whole time.

also Mike O: Next year I'm going to do even more! :laughingchef:

Coffee station was Tim (@stumpt ). He travels in style.

Hahaha, too true. It's only because I refuse to drop my (rescheduled) Saturday commitments for prep duties ahead of the event. ~_~

4th time is the charm!

Latest posts

Back