• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD 240 Shiro Kamo R2 Damascus, 230 Spare-MCX Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a couple of good knives that I just don't reach for as often as they deserve. Both were used very lightly, a shift or 2 at work. Honestly, I really need to sell like 20 knives. Seems like every time I open a drawer, I find a good knife that I forgot I owned.

The Shiro Kama was a knife that I coveted for a very long time. Specs showed it a little thicker out of the handle than the other R2 production knives out there. The black damascus pattern is really striking. When I first got the knife, I did a lot of nice work on it, eased the spine and choil, did a rehandle and saya. I did scuff the blade side near the choil just a bit with the dremelm which can be seen in a certain angle. The saya is some of my favorite work. It is crafted from highly figured walnut, with an inlay on 1 side that features the handle materials, stabilized Tasmanian blackwood, cypress burl and g10. The walnut on the off side of the saya is just gorgeous. The handle design is unique. There is a swell that nicely fits the palm which tapers towards the hilt. I cut octogonal chamfers that provide outstanding grip and index for the user. It is very comfortable!

Length - 245
height - 54
weight - 187
spin at handle - 2.84
Core steel - R2 with black damascus cladding

Asking $300 with PayPal and shipping in the ConUS
20230508_145546.jpg
20230508_145556.jpg
20230508_145624.jpg
20230508_145630.jpg
20230508_145648.jpg
20230508_145710.jpg

I am also listing a Frederick Spare MCX Honyaki . This is from the first release of the MCX special partnerships. It was one of my first "high end" knife purchases, before I was completely aware of my preferences. I am a 240+ kind of guy. When the knife first arrived I was immediately struck by the quality. Great fit and finish for a knife in this price range, this knife is nimble but with enough sturdiness that I never felt I had to be tentative on the board. It is thin at the tip and thin behind the edge. Profile has a nice flat area and a little sweep towards the front, though I would say it accomodates pull and push cuts better than rocking. The handle is crest shaped bog oak with a dimpled brass face plate. As many know, I swap out handles on most of my knives, but this one is comfortable enough and cool looking enough to pass muster on my rack. I did craft a custom saya out of ebonized oak, with a brass accent strip to match the handle.

Length - 230
Height - 52
Weight - 174
Thickness out of handle - 3.67
Monosteel 26c3 differentially hardened

Asking $300 with PayPal and shipping in the ConUS

Pics of the Spare to follow....

Last edited:
Back