264 layer ladder pattern in the works

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir, I don't have any of the big tools some makers have, so it took about 4 hours to forge.

And thanks! :)

OK, finally got it together, work has not been kind to the old fart! (Well not that old, just older Thanks Jon Bon)
Here you have it, nickle silver/copper mokume, pure nickle and black vulcanized fiber spacers, green tone mammoth tooth
Exhibition desert ironwood burl, and a single mosaic pin. There are other pins, those are hidden.
I hope you like it! Comments welcome.

Pierre

Picture1545.jpg

Picture1549.jpg

Picture1546.jpg

Picture1550.jpg

Picture1551.jpg

Oh yeah, those spacers are curved, PITA but I think it worked out OK. Rounded choil and spine. :eek:vg:

I saw the curve in the spacers, has me baffled. Will you please stop raising the bar, how will I ever catch up? :)

Pierre!!! You have my two favorite materials going on here.That sure is a nice chunk of tooth,did you get it from Charlie?

Is that Charles Turnage? Are you the guys who always outbid me on this stuff? :D

Actually, I haven't bought one in a while, still have a few sitting here, not really knowing how to deal with them. Two of them fell apart when I looked hard at them, this stuff can be really brittle. How do you work the mammoth tooth? What tools for drilling and cutting?

Oh, and I am not totally clear: What do you mean with the spacer is curved? In which direction? Should I be wearing my glasses? :)

Of course, the knife looks stunning, beautiful work!

Stefan

The curve is happening between the spacer components, they are ground at a 3" radius, the black and silver spacers are then bent to match the radius in the other components.

Yes Charles Turnage, sorry, some stuff I got to have :D

For working it, a thin cut off disk in the angle grinder to cut it, belt grinder to shape and polish it, and diamond burs or carbide bits to drill it. If it cracks CA glue will hold it together, also use CA to fill any voids and seal cracks.

That is what you call kitchen jewelry! Just fantastic, beautiful work. I don't know about that weird bolster with the threaded rod, tho..................
:biggrin2:

It's to help with those long slicing cuts to help keep them square to the board! :chefcut: :tongue4:

WOW! That's one pretty knife. That mammoth sure has some magic to it. Excellent work, Pierre.

DarkHOeK

Beautiful blade and handle.......Who's the lucky knifenut.

I know he hung out a bit at KF, not sure about here. I gave him the link to this thread, so he knows about it. Marko knows him...

I can, I invited him to the forum to see the pictures. Seeing he chose to remain anonomous, I will respect that.

Can you ask for some pics after use?
Im VERY interessted in this steel combination :)

Back