3 Chefs - Tokyo culinary research trip(need help)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingkor

Reaction score
Hi, we're three chefs flying to Tokyo in mid-October for a 10-day culinary research and adventure trip. After eating and working at some of the top restaurants in the world, we're taking a short trip to Tokyo. We've done tons of research! But compared to anywhere else in the world, it seems impossible to actually get seats at any of the top sushi and yakitori restaurants.
Our goal was to get to at least one of these restaurants(currently, we failed) - Saito, Sugita, Namba, Shunji, Sawada, Arai

If you have any recommendations/connections/secret apps/tips/cults/concierge services/etc... basically anything that can help get a reservation to these restaurants we'll forever remember it and would love to return the favor if you ever come visit Israel.

P.S. We'd also love to hear about any recommendations, hidden gems, bars, experiences, or other reservations you recommend! Thanks in advance :)

Hi, we're three chefs flying to Tokyo in mid-October for a 10-day culinary research and adventure trip. After eating and working at some of the top restaurants in the world, we're taking a short trip to Tokyo. We've done tons of research! But compared to anywhere else in the world, it seems impossible to actually get seats at any of the top sushi and yakitori restaurants.
Our goal was to get to at least one of these restaurants(currently, we failed) - Saito, Sugita, Namba, Shunji, Sawada, Arai

If you have any recommendations/connections/secret apps/tips/cults/concierge services/etc... basically anything that can help get a reservation to these restaurants we'll forever remember it and would love to return the favor if you ever come visit Israel.

P.S. We'd also love to hear about any recommendations, hidden gems, bars, experiences, or other reservations you recommend! Thanks in advance :)
A dream trip for me, hope u guys enjoy it a lot!! 👏👏

Depending on your hotel, it’s worth asking your concierge. Concierges at top class hotels can secure you otherwise unavailable spots sometimes. If you haven’t already booked your hotel, any of the top ones known for hosting western clients will be able to help. I strongly recommend calling or emailing them ahead of time. They’re able to do so much more with some lead time.

If you can’t get your dream list lined up, they’re still easily able to connect you with other top class restaurants. Don’t overlook their other recommendations just because they’re not famous online or in the west.

Yeah the odds of those restaurants is super low. Tableall sometimes gets a bunch of last minute seats from some of those, but they upcharge significantly. I think if you register with your dates there, they will email you. Last time, I got emails from them for Namba and Arai, but I didn't anticipate it so couldn't make it.

Other than that, there's a few options on Omakase.in. I think the highest tabelog rating one that is easy to book is Sushi Inomata in Saitama (not exactly in Tokyo, but reachable) so might be one to look at it. It's ~4.4 when some of the ones you listed are around 4.5. Sushisho Masa is also well liked and easy to book, although lower rated on Tabelog (but I think overindexing on this score is not a great idea) Hakkoku also pretty easy to book.

Last edited:
Yakitori Omino and Omino (Kamiyacho) were like the only highly-rated yakitori places that were somewhat bookable online for a foreigner, and they aren't super super hard to book. I went to Omino (Kamiyacho) which is slightly less yakitori style, but had a good time. Overall comparable to the top spots in NYC (one of which is the sister restaurant of Torishiki)

Btw, a lot of these top places are pretty much invite only. Like Saito is completely closed, and Namba is kinda perceived to be that same way, although they sold some seats to Tableall. I'm sure this goes for a lot of other restaurants, even if their Tabelog score is lower.

For those you listed with only 1 month left, I'd say the best shot is hotel concierge, and better the hotel better the chance.
Gems, there're too many, which kind are you guys most interested in, and which city?

BTW, a lot of spots are just not gonna be available on omakase.in. A lot of reservations will have been made in person when people have dined there. For example, at Sushi Hashimoto, vast majority of the spots were never available online at all. Good reason to set your sights lower, but you probably won't be missing much honestly.

BTW, a lot of spots are just not gonna be available on omakase.in. A lot of reservations will have been made in person when people have dined there. For example, at Sushi Hashimoto, vast majority of the spots were never available online at all. Good reason to set your sights lower, but you probably won't be missing much honestly.
Indeed. Top restaurant in JP are tedious for its 紹介制(intro by regular customer only) but somewhat protects the restaurant to maintain its quality operation.

Michelin is worth completely ignoring in Japan (and arguably everywhere, but that's a different story). Many issues there:
- Some restaurants banned the inspectors because they felt like they didn't know anything.
- Many highly esteemed restaurants are not part of it as a result
- Allegedly they have very few inspectors and many restaurants have not been re-inspected in years
- If you look at non-Tokyo ramen rankings, you can tell it's complete nonsense because the ones listed are mediocre. (Some people complained about the Tokyo ones, but at least all the starred Tokyo ones are actually fairly respected, even if it's not number 1 or anything)

Tabelog is probably the best, but it has its own issues. For one, the algorithm heavily favors influencers who get special treatment as a result. Also the criteria Japanese people use will probably not match your own.

Any chance you can go to Kyoto instead? Tokyo is tedious “kaiinsei“ members only nouveau riche bubble age style bull. Edomae is questionable anyway, a lot of sauce on everything. Go Kansai. Ha. Of course this was just a rant. I would still sign it though, it’s not too far off the mark.

I’d say do one place in Tokyo for Edomae and then get out. I’d try Akasaka, places like Matsumoto.
In Kyoto I’d go to Kinobu for Kaiseki, Izuu for Kyoto style sushi, in Osaka to yoshino sushi for Oshizushi. Kikunoi is also a giant in the industry of course.
Sushi is a wide field but if I were a cook I’d definitely blow all the budget on Kaiseki. There‘s just so much more with regards to techniques and ingredients.

I really enjoyed:

Soba - Kyorakutei

Sushi - Umi although the Chef at the time was Ryujiro Nakamura who has since left and opened Sushi Ryujiro.

Nihonryori/Kaiseki - Goryu Kubo, Ishikawa, and Kohaku. All three are amazing bucket list restaurants whose food I dream about years later. Goryu Kubo stands out as being $$$$ and is slightly less approachable for westerners than Ishikawa and Kohaku, but if I could only eat at one restaurant in Tokyo, it would be there.

Latest posts

Back