330mm Suji - an Overkill?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long knives take longer to make, so at this time I don't have plans to make them part of the product line.

This is going to be good. Marko, go for it, I have a 360 yanagi, a 330 yanagi, and 300 yanagi. My shigefusa 360 is a joy to use, but it's a thin yanagi with no flex obviously. There is nothing too long about a 330 or 360 if you are on a big slicing station, when you slice a full roast with a single draw cut, I don't see what's to complain about really, would be curious to give a suji a go in that size. But, I personally have no need, most of the meat I slice comes out of a pan, off the grill or out of an immersion circulator and hardly requires more than my 240 suji. I'm sure somebody out there is just salivating over the idea of this knife though hehe, have fun making it, because I bet you are going to be bugged for more than one.

20131119_154526.jpg

I work as a baker at one of my jobs, and I'd love to have something like this. I'm a bit weird though as I prefer to use a knife to cut my dough instead of a dough scraper, but I spend a lot of money on knives so I'm damn well going to get my use out of them. I'd also like to have a 330 mm sujihiki to use for cutting cakes as I prefer to use a medium grit sharpened sujihiki (1200-2000) instead of serrated knives like many bakers do to reduce crumbs.

DSC_1063.jpg

Here is a little brother (270mm) of the big boy. Believe it or not, but grinding a suji is more time consuming than grinding a gyuto. You don't have as much height, so to keep it straight on the edge takes some effort on a monosteel. Very happy how this one turned out.

AEB-L, S grind.

Excuse a gloomy morning picture.

Back