3K stone recommendation for a poor quality individual

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCHine

Reaction score
I've managed to crack 2 JNS 3K red stones in a row. Treated them the same as the 800, 300 and 6K but after a little while they crack and eventually shatter. Maksim was more than generous and replaced one and that lasted longer (but not long enough). It may be environmental (we have wild swings in weather and both stones died around the same time of year after a sharpening session) or that I'm just a poor quality individual (more likely).

For those of you that listen to the Cooking Issues podcast will understand the expression "Poor quality individual"; someone that does things wrong (unripe tomatoes in the fridge) or it is used a term that I should be able to do/like/own "I know I should like potatoes cooked at 76C but I'm a poor quality individual; they taste like crap".

Love the speed and toothyness of the JNS Red as a finishing stone for western style J knives and some french stuff. Will also get used to maintain a set of more traditional single bevels.

Open to Nat's but do not want to go down the JNAT stone rabbit hole. Had naniwa's (non pro version) and did not like the speed, feeling or toothyness of the finished product.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
the best stone in the 3k department is the shapton glass 3k (dictum.de if you are in europe). feels really smooth and creamy and removes metal fast. also gives and almost mirror finish. its one of the very best stones i have ever tried all round. only better stones i have tried are the shapton pro 2k and glass 2k and pro 12k.

neither the glass nor the pro stones will crack since they dont absorb any water

Naniwa Professional #3000 grit is good. Cuts fast, splash and go, leaves a nice polished edge and doesn't dish fast

the naniwa pro 3k is a 5k. and it will most likely crack, shaption 3k wont. and is probaby a better stone imo. much better

the naniwa pro 3k is a 5k. and it will most likely crack, shaption 3k wont. and is probaby a better stone imo. much better
Can't speak of the Naniwa Pro 3k as I've not used it, nor have I used a Shapton Glass 3k. In my experience the Naniwa Chosera is a very good 3k stone and is certainly not prone to cracking. As far as I can tell, it really is around 3k.

AFAIK the only Naniwa that has reported issues with cracking is the 8k Junpaku (Snow White) though this hasn't happened to me. Wouldn't recommended it in any case.

+1 for shapton glass. Splash and go so easy to de with, food feel and easy results.

chosera:
the 800 is a 1200
the 1000 is a 1500
the 3k is a 5k.

they finish at that at least.

i have owned and used the 1k and 800. and i think this is accurate. i gave my 1k away. its a subpar stone imo.
the 400 is "slow" (aka higher grit). the 1k is a good 1500 stone though. but the shapton pro 2k is faster, cheaper, much slower wearing, faster drying (20 minutes max), better finishing (imo).

the shaptons dont release any stone particles either. unlike the choseras which make a total mess almost innediately.

bottom line is:
these are slow drying stones. 24h or so.
much slower material removal than the shapton 1k pro and much much slower than the glass 1k. the glass dries in 5 minutes.
and the glass is at least 2 generations ahead of the choseras.

you can almost get a shapton pro 1k and 2k for 1 chosera 1k.

no shaptons ever has been prone to cracking.

the glass series is faster than the pros, but more expensive per millimeter of stone than pros.

my glass 220 is faster than my pro 220. wears slower too. the pro 220 will abrade more metal over its life though. 7mm vs 15mm.

the pro 1k is an 800, ands very fast. the glass 1k is a 1k and just as fast and wears much slower.

the 2k i think is on par in both speed and feel with the glass and pro.

i also have the 8k and 12k pro and these are very good.

have tried the 6k and 8k gray hc glass. and i think the pros are better in the high grits. both faster and feel better.

basically all shaptons are about 100% faster that the naniwa pros/choseras. and they dont wear!
the do feel like bricks though. the choseras are always smooth and creamy. only the shaptons above 3k are smooth imo.

you could use the shap pro 2k as a 1 stone solution imo.

the chosera 1k not so much.

the best 1k stone is the 1k glass. its also the least economical 1k. since its only 5-6mm stone on there.

my best s are the 500glass, 1k glass, 2k glass, 3k glass.

choseras/naniwa pros dont compete in the same league imo. but yes they are still good. probaby much much better than the rest.

this is all personal and i value total time spent.

Can't speak of the Naniwa Pro 3k as I've not used it, nor have I used a Shapton Glass 3k. In my experience the Naniwa Chosera is a very good 3k stone and is certainly not prone to cracking. As far as I can tell, it really is around 3k.

AFAIK the only Naniwa that has reported issues with cracking is the 8k Junpaku (Snow White) though this hasn't happened to me. Wouldn't recommended it in any case.
You have me knocking on wood now for good luck.My Snow White has yet to crack but my Naniwa Pro Choseras 400,800 and 3k have all cracked.So far they,the chos, are just spider webs and not naguras.

The glass series is convenient, my main metal remover is a SG500. But since you said you were open to nats, I've always used an aoto for my 2-4k stone. They're a bit slower, no soaking required, they don't crack (generally speaking) and they have awesome feedback.

Open to Jnats? Well,I wanted to give them a shot also so went with stones that are more wallet friendly and still offer me the experience.So,I first bought an Aono Aoto ,then found a couple Aizu's and then my most recent is an Oouchi. I absolutely enjoy them and I love the edge they put on my knives.Quite frankly though,I could finish off the Aizu and be more then satisfied.The Oouchi just adds a little refinement to an already perfect edge.
If you want best bang for the buck and stones that will be forgiving,easy to care for with less worries of cracking and get the job done pronto,then Shapton Pros would be my recommendations.

Can the Glass stones be damaged by soaking?

I believe they can be damaged from soaking. Dont Do do it. There's no need anyways you literally" splash and go ", hence the term.

yeah... soaking shapton stones can cause problems with them... they will also tell you not to soak them. They are a cement based stone (like the chosera, but the formula is much more resistant to cracking... its one of the things shapton does best).

The red was treated the same as all the other stones; a quick 15 sec run under the tap wetting all sides and an occasional splash/5 or so seconds under the tap. Closest thing to soaking is a quick 15 second dunk if the sinks are full.

It started to show signs of cracking 12 months ago and after sharpening 6 knives on a 34C day the weather cooled to 16C for a couple of days then spiked back to 36C. Went to sharpen a knife and ran the stone under the tap. The last 75mm just fell off. It looked damp about 4mm into the stone. As we live in an older area our water supply lines are deep and coming out of even our mild winter cold tap water is about 12C.

No room in the house of all the sharpening equipment so they get stored thin edge down on an angle in a crate with lots of ventilation holes. The crate is on a wire shelf out sunlight in a garage without temperature control.

At least you aren't an enemy of quality. Have to have standards. ;-)

Back