52100 in 1/8" thickness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carpanter steel told me that they have some B52 but werre not sure on sizes or pricing (triple melt 52100) i told them i was interested in it

Also assume you say that sheet rolled out at ____temp in a rolling mill, do you know of a source for the boys around here? I know your dad could do it but he is soooooo busy these days.

The 52100 steel I have been finding in US is made either in Germany or Austria (for Bohler-Uddeholm). Both made to the same standard, so they are practically identical. Sweden and Germany have history of quality steel production, so I doubt you can get wrong with either.

I am not sure where Aldo's steel is coming from (his W2 is German-made) but I have heat-treated his 52100 and can attest that quality is great. I have not had warping or any issues during heat treatment. I can get the steel all the way to 67RC (many data sheets list harden-ability up to 65RC) and then draw down to the hardness I want. I use Wilson Rockwell hardness tester and I have done this repeatedly.

The only thing about Aldo steel that makes it less desirable is that is a notch too thick for kitchen knives. It's an oversize 5/32, so there is a considerable grinding involved, before you make a knife that cuts very well. I spoke to Adlo and he said he might send some of his stock for thinning. I also got a feeling that his next order will include 1/8 thickness.

Marko

PS: There are other sources, but they won't sell to an end-user. You have to be a company to buy it.

As they said there aren't a lot of sources for 52100 in good knife sizes. I can't make any recommendations.

So did you end up placing an order for 52100 Marko? If so could you share where you got it from?

So did you end up placing an order for 52100 Marko? If so could you share where you got it from?

I got it from Bestar. You do however be a company, as they don't sell to end-users or consumers.

M

I want some of that B52 butch is trying to get, butch keep me in mind.

Kelly Kupples in Yakima, WA sells it by the pound and will cut to your spec size.

Ill try finding his number.

God Bless
Mike

I ordered 20# from Aldo today. Was having to grind it down to 1/8. Will let you know when I get it how it turns out. Also did mention to tell all he had this, so I think its somthing he is wanting to carry.

God Bless
Mike

Thanks Bill!

I had lost his number. Great guy to work with and very knowledgable! A-1 in my book.

Have any of your thought about trying some of Aldo's thin 1084FG stock? He also carries .103 W2 in narrow sheets up to 6 x 36.

Back