A few questions before I put myself in pain. Aritsugu A-Type

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grind is asymmetric. Nearly flat on the left side. Hardness was tested by Rottman: 58 hrc. It's not as tough to grind as you might think. I prob put a full day or two into mine on a 1k SS. I'm sure it would have been a lot less if I'd used a decent coarse stone. It is a fantastic cutter, if I do say so myself. The steel is tough, holds onto a wire edge like it's nobody's business but the edge it does take feels super keen and aggressive. I love that edge. The 270 is a monster. Totally different than the 240 which is a fairly nice knife OOTB barring factory sharpening which is sharp but jacked up in every other way imaginable.

I did a heavy thinning job on a 270 for a friend. He's a lefty so I thinned and ground the inside/left face. It worked quite well, improving the performance significantly. Without a belt sander, it would have been a monsterously nasty job.

Looks like Takeshi gave a good grind to your blade,nothing wrong wt. a 90/10 if you are rt. handed.Never had an A- Aritsugu,but have had J-Gyuto pretty much single bevel OOTB.You might thin the 30% angle,this can be done gradually wt. each sharpening.No need major surgery all at once.

I would deff. stay with the almost SB grind of the blade.For the backside not too much on the stones,more just removing the burr at a very low angle.Over time you will find it easy to sharpen(just one side).SB Gyuto are great for peeling just about anything.If using as a workhorse blade(splitting Lobsters etc.)you prob should put a miro-bevel on the rt. side.:knife:

Thank for the advice saltydog. The more I look at it the more I think that it doesn't really need that much. I was initially going to thin and convex the right side, with just a very small angle on the left side, pretty much keeping a single bevel. I don't think i"ll go crazy with it now, just thin it and get that right side angle down a bit. A micro bevel too prob.

Totally different than the 240 which is a fairly nice knife OOTB barring factory sharpening which is sharp but jacked up in every other way imaginable.

I think this applies to the sharpening job straight from Aritsugu. Takeshi at aframes gets them unsharpened from Aritsugu and puts the edge on them when one gets ordered, before he ships them. From what I've seen the job he did on mine looks significantly better than the jacked up ones from Aritsugu.

What kind of work do you think your knife will need RR? Any big tasks or just fine tuning?

What kind of work do you think your knife will need RR? Any big tasks or just fine tuning?

Rdm, I just made a Thai Jungle Curry using the A-Type, so I could go through a variety of product to test out the knife out of the box. I minced shallot, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemongrass, chiles. Trimmed and cut up a pork shoulder. Diced eggplant, batonnet carrot, and chiffonade some basil. I can say the bevel aframes put on it is completely useable, but it's potential isn't there yet. I expected it to wedge a bit, especially with the carrots, but it wasn't too bad. It's light and nimble, even for not being in the laser category, but it's perfect for what I was looking for.

I'm just going to thin down that high right side bevel a bit, try to get it to about 12-15 degrees. I'm hoping a Beston 500 will handle it, but I've got a ******** *** 60 grit stone if it gives me any crap!

Actually, this reminds me. A while back, I compared my A-type to a much older one and a new one. The new one was MUCH thinner than mine or the older one. IIRC, prob 30% thinner. I'm not sure I'd grind a whole lot off the newer ones like I have with the oldies.

I got my 270 gyuto years ago from the aframes and don't know the thickness difference between 240 and 270.
It took long time for me to thin it and to put convex grind on the right side.
(the steel of it was very sticky on my stones until I removed factory grind lines on the suface of the blade).
Now it performs really great - just a little shy of Shige laser but it is a real tank.
I hope you still enjoy your knife. :)

Received my A-Type 240 Gyuto from aframestokyo yesterday. Four days from Hawaii to Florida, not bad. Here's a couple of pics on how it arrived out of the box, sharpened by Takeshi Aoki at aframes. In an earlier email, he said he sharpens them at 90/10, 30 degree right hand bevel. I'm not good with guessing degree's, but I think the A-Type will be getting a little steeper edge in the near future. I'm pretty happy with what he sent me though. The 240 is thinner than I thought it would be, and I'm not going to have to remove as much material as anticipated. I've read the horror stories about how bulky the are, but I think that mainly applies to the 270's. BTW, it came sharp enough to shave my arm hair, and push cut paper. I'll put it through some food tomorrow, just to see how it wedges and all with this bevel.

Back