A reasonable yet decent workhorse!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SveinD

Reaction score
So, I'm new here. I recently got help to buy myself some sharpening stones. Now I'd appreciate some recommendations or thoughts on kitchen knives for my workplace.

I work at a Waldorf kindergarten in Trondheim, Norway.
We make all the meals for the children (56 kids between 1-6yrs) from scratch every day. And it's all pseudo vegetarian, which means no meat or fish.
Carrots, turnips, beets, potatoes, Hokkaido/pumpkins, onions, garlic, rotabagas, leeks and the likes are mostly what the knives will be used for.
Wooden cuttingboards, sharpening will be done on stones, maintainance on leather strop with (and without) green compound...

Norway is a small country, so the selection is limited, and we don't have a big budget, so we have to choose between these
(Norway is suuuper expensive to import too, so that is out of the question...)

MAC Chefknife HB-85 - 215mm (Alone or with small knife...)
Masahiro Usuba 165mm
Masahiro MV 210
Masahiro MV 24
Tojiro F-808

I can also buy the same, lame Victorinox or a Global, but I really don't like them too much, so I'd rather not....

Any thoughts or preferences?

-Svein-

the hb85 isn't much of a workhorse. if you want real beater the fujiwara kanefusa fkm is a little more reasonable price than the mac in some markets (like mine) japanesechefsknife.com "fujiwara"

I would recommend possiby a 240mm knife because vegetables can get large, squashes etc.

But I also am not totally solid on what produce is going to be avaliable. sounds like very new nordic food to me :p

fujiwara kanefusa fkm is almost identical to mac pro but with not so good fit and finish, less comfy handle. Solid performers in that line.

Tojiro F808 good too, sometimes people like to complain about sharpening it.

Masahiro Mv with bolster is great. I am in Bergen, I have some for sale, cheaper than norwegian vendors or eBay, but I cannot print faktura. Black sale [emoji6]

Can`t get a Fujiwara in Norway.. Willing is another brand I've seen. Bit they ate cheap, which makes me suspicious.

Masahiro Mv with bolster is great. I am in Bergen, I have some for sale, cheaper than norwegian vendors or eBay, but I cannot print faktura. Black sale [emoji6]

Takk, but I'll need a faktura :p

One vote for the Masahiro then!

Takk, but I'll need a faktura :p

One vote for the Masahiro then!

The one with the plastic handle and metal bolster.
There are 3 different series, that particular one. MV or MVH
Avoid the one on the photo. Too expensive price from the vendor as well.
Check e-bay

The one with the plastic handle and metal bolster.
There are 3 different series, that particular one. MV or MVH
Avoid the one on the photo. Too expensive price from the vendor as well.
Check e-bay

No import.. Makes it too expensive with 25% tax, shipping and $15-25 in handling fees.

No import.. Makes it too expensive with 25% tax, shipping and $15-25 in handling fees.

On the other hand, if you buy from Sweden or Denmark, the dealers should deduct the same VAT / MOMS / MVA as your customs add... so that comes out even. (but shipping and fees may still apply of course).

One of my first proper knife was a Tojiro F-809 and i still use it at work to this day.
The extra 30mm (of the 240mm gyuto) comes quite handy when you have to work with larger ingredients like squash, cabbage, watermelon, etc.

Latest posts

Back