A start to finish WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work, Pierre. Do you forge a little bit of taper into the blade?

Absolutely beautiful knife, sheath looks like sting ray skin. Will definitely have to get a custom from you Pierre, mad skills!

Thanks guys! Yes it is sting ray.

Yes taper is forged into the blade. My toughest part is keeping the core centered on such a long blade.

Robin, I'm going tp drill a bunch of holes in the blade, and then insert those little rhinestones (spelling?) I was thinking purple or orange. What do you think?? ( :D Kidding of course!)

Amazing as always, Pierre! You are stupidly talented. It makes my head hurt!

There are supposedly ways to make both tapering and keeping the core centered "easier" like using a rolling mill that will taper a bar like the little McDonald design, but I suspect that the thinness of kitchen knife blades makes that process more difficult no matter what kind of cool gadgets you may own.
Thanks guys! Yes it is sting ray.

Yes taper is forged into the blade. My toughest part is keeping the core centered on such a long blade.

Robin, I'm going tp drill a bunch of holes in the blade, and then insert those little rhinestones (spelling?) I was thinking purple or orange. What do you think?? ( :D Kidding of course!)

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the process. It was a chalange, but a lot of fun as well.
That billet was actually the second attempt, the first wasn't up to snuff. :bladesmith:

Oh, I forgot to add at the begining, the core is O1, and the bright ribbon you see seperating the core from the san mai cladding is pure nickel.

Great looking knife Pierre.

Do many san mai knives have a different metal to separate the core from the cladding? The only other knives that I know for sure that have that are the Jin knives that Jon sells. They have a copper liner. It looks tremendous.

Can you explain what the purpose is for using a different material to separate the core from the cladding?

Did you say diamonds inserted in the end cap? My wife would like that! Especially if it's her new "benchmark" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Diamond since we visited Washington.

Looking forward to discussing this further. I am a bit of a minimalist in knife design, but i might make an exception. :doublethumbsup:

Great looking knife Pierre.

Do many san mai knives have a different metal to separate the core from the cladding? The only other knives that I know for sure that have that are the Jin knives that Jon sells. They have a copper liner. It looks tremendous.

Can you explain what the purpose is for using a different material to separate the core from the cladding?

Micheal, in this knife, the nickel serves a dual role, the first is asthetics. It draws the eye, and gives a visual seperation between the core and cladding damascus. Secondly, to control carbon migration between the core and damascus.

Hope that helps.

Micheal, in this knife, the nickel serves a dual role, the first is asthetics. It draws the eye, and gives a visual seperation between the core and cladding damascus. Secondly, to control carbon migration between the core and damascus.

Hope that helps.

Aye, sailors! One doesn't want the carbon to escape from the O1 core. The Black Pearl is afloat! "C'mon yer useless land-crabs! Bring me that horizon!"
Yo, ho-ho and a bottle of Rum... :D

OMG! This is so incredibly bad-ass cool I almost soil myself :D

DarKHOeK
(Commander of The Black Pearl)

It is finally finished! I promised Harald a while ago something special, something he had no clue about, and tormented him incessently about it. As you know H called the suji the "Black Pearl" from the black lip mother of pearl spacer. I added an amonite to the butt, essentially a fossilized shell, and keeping with the ocean theme, I selected materials to protect the knife. A saya was necessary, I didn't think I could match Haralds woodworking skills, so this is what I came up with. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 5348View attachment 5349
View attachment 5350View attachment 5351
View attachment 5352View attachment 5353

Sorry late to the party my wife has an still is in the hospital since Thursday. Definitely wanted to say this knife and saya raised the bar. Really really amazing work!!

Sorry late to the party my wife has an still is in the hospital since Thursday. Definitely wanted to say this knife and saya raised the bar. Really really amazing work!!

I hope your wife is all right.

I hope your wife is all right.
Thanks I appreciate it. Originally thought it was food poisoning or flu, but it went downhill fast. ER, cat scans with contrast etc. Had me spooked. I had visions of no wife and raising our four kids without her. She has some form of collitis they are still trying to figure it out she will be there a few more days, but be ok.

Add my prayers! She will be fine!

I'm glad you liked the knife. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Pierre

Deckhand, sorry to read about your wife's trip to the hospital. Pass on our love to help with a speedy recovery.

Once more, great work, Pierre. Sorry, but I came back and looked at it again!

Thanks guys! And yep that knife and saya are amazing.

First off:

Pierre get another camera. Your pics truly does not justify the knife.
I had the pleasure of playing with it today.

I have to admit that I was very skeptical to this knife, but when I first saw it: I have to tell that this one is just one hell of a knife.
Haralds skill in sharpening and Markos strop made this knife crazy sharp. It felt really good in the hand, and Pierre is truly skilled.
The saya is amazing. Like small black diamonds shining in the light.

Pierre: I tip my hat. Im truly impressed. Really impressed! DAMN
I know Harald will post a review, and his words are far more worth than mine .)

Thank you sir. That means a lot! I am looking forward to Haralds review as well.

Latest posts

Back