advice for a fancy knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the gifting of the knife that's important, not the fate of the knife. In this scenario he's wrong.

Except we like knives and were actively interested in learning how to use and maintain them. That's how we became better.

99% of people don't give a sh!t. He isn't wrong.

OP said "On the contrary, this knife should look and perform way better then any other knife she has ever used. I believe that's the only way that may guide her into learning about kitchen knives and proper care. And it may happen that she already knew how to deal with such stuff, as she's very knowledgeable person."

You are welcome to be as clubby as you want to, but it's not a pretty sight.

I've watched you with some of your re handles. I wish I was on your birthday list. I suspect as a cooking enthusiast she will love what you give her. Maybe include a little history of the maker, the re handler and recommended care and sharpening.

Yep, I saw this too.
mount-fuji-180-santoku.jpg

It is a really pretty looking knife.
The price for 180mm santoku is AUD 469.99 here.

Just how long do you imagine that pretty scene of Mt Fuji will remain pretty? Or is it etched in?

Rick

An hour ago I got an email from JCK about new collection of Mr.Itou knives. After checking those knives I decided that Itou knives aren't suited for this occasion. I mean I'm going to make a custom handle, and Itou knives already has a pretty special handles, so it would be an act of vandalism from my side to rehandle it.

Almost completely settled on Yoshikane petty. Just can't decide if I should go with EE, or save 100$ and get a similarly looking Richmond Damascus (which is also made by Yoshikane).

Almost completely settled on Yoshikane petty. Just can't decide if I should go with EE, or save 100$ and get a similarly looking Richmond Damascus (which is also made by Yoshikane).

Same maker, not same steel. The one's sold by EE are SLD at around RC63, the richmond is ATS314 at RC61. Not familiar with ATS314 and couldn't find it on Gators site, but I really like the Yoshi SLD.

Be well,
Mikey

Same maker, not same steel. The one's sold by EE are SLD at around RC63, the richmond is ATS314 at RC61. Not familiar with ATS314 and couldn't find it on Gators site, but I really like the Yoshi SLD.

Be well,
Mikey

Mikey , I think it's ats 34

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Yeah, probably, but the dum bass lists it as ats314.:dontknow:

Be well,
Mikey

The parcel with knife arrived today, so here's what I got: a 150mm Richmond Damascus. I wasn't really comfortable ordering something under Richmond brand, but price was too good to resist.

Richmond logo is there, but you'd need to look hard to spot black logo on black damascus. And that's a good thing.
Blade looks pretty in terms of F&F. OOTB edge was one of the most sharp OOTB edges I've seen.

So far this knife looks pretty promising. I might post a small update later, when I try cutting some food with it and make a new handle.

May I suggest you to carve the recipient's name into your custom handle, specially & exclusively for her so that she will really treat it like gold. This is one majestic knife.

May I suggest you to carve the recipient's name into your custom handle, specially & exclusively for her so that she will really treat it like gold. This is one majestic knife.
Good idea. I'm considering taking handle to professional engraver so that I wouldn't screw it myself :)

Or, even ask another professional to engrave on the soft iron as well! It's a sign that this item only belongs to one particular person.

I think I would engrave her name onto the blade, but not the handle. Maybe have her initials in an inlay inspired by Mikey's honu mana handles with the turtle inlay...

The way I see it is that when you put together a knife for loved ones, if it's too "nice" the knife won't be used. And that's the point I feel a knife is a faliure, people tend to forget that a knife is a tool, a tool made for cutting things.

A tool should never be a hurdle, even if it looks fantastic... that's just a bonus.

Removed old handle (couldn't just knock it off due to TONS of epoxy inside, so had to destroy it) and put some older handle just for the sake of taking photo :)

this time Richmond logo is better visible

Ah, I was wondering if you went stainless. How does it sharpen?

Ah, I was wondering if you went stainless. How does it sharpen?
I've no idea. It came very sharp OOTB so I don't see any reason to sharpen it now. While making new handle for it, I'll probably use it few times to cut vegetables, and will decide from there if it needs to be sharpened before gifting. Anyway, my experience would be very limited and couldn't not justify how this steel really performs. My bet is that Yushikane wouldn't make crap even if you specifically ask them and pay for it :)

Anton , I believe you can get rid of the etched logo by sand paper or grinder and re etch and reveal the ground sided of the knife again by 400grit sandpaper.
Good thing is it is nearly not visible from the pictures

Very nice looking knife! Horrible logo :( Mark better change it.

The way I see it is that when you put together a knife for loved ones, if it's too "nice" the knife won't be used. And that's the point I feel a knife is a faliure, people tend to forget that a knife is a tool, a tool made for cutting things.

A tool should never be a hurdle, even if it looks fantastic... that's just a bonus.

If this is the case,.. well, it can be paired up with another cheap Japanese knife for actual use purpose. Human is weird, I'm one of those people who won't use a tool when it looks too majestic and precious. Same for those tameshigiri guys, who wants to use an authentic Katana for cutting hard stuff?

+1, knives not used as tools = pointless.

Knowing Yoshikane, this thing will not need babying/be a fragile knife.

Don't think she will mind the Logo. Maybe get her a saya for it. It is true most people abuse their knives couple years ago eating at my nieces house, they had a German knife block set, very dull battered edges. I gave her a Togiharu thin profile Inox with a saya. Taught her how to sharpen it & knife care lecture. She cooks all the time for Husband & 3 kids, luvs the Togiharu and takes very good care of it. It only takes a couple minutes to teach knife care, most people are ignorant, all it takes is a change in mindset.

Anton, the handle is beautiful, looks great with the blade. I suspect she will be thrilled with what you gift her.

Made a few handles specifically for this blade, so my parents could choose the one the like the most. Yesterday they made their choice. Picked of the older handles that was made for completely different blade, though it looks very similar to the previous pic that I posted.

Hope new owner will enjoy using it.

Great knife with a beautiful beautiful handle. Awesome gift Anton. In case you were wondering, my birthday is June 23 :D.

Back