Ajikiri, do I need one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score
I already got a 180 deba and a 210 mioroshi.
I deal with lots of mackerel at work and occasionally with horse mackerel when they catch it.
For these I'm using my tojiro dp beater but I think I could get another knife.
Is a 120 ajikiri the answer? Funayuki? Hiraki? Sabaki? Smaller Deba?

I would get a Kiridashi Kogatana.
Single bevel like the ones you've mentioned and carbon steel, so easy to sharpen and gets crazy sharp. 20-30 quid off the bay.
Should work with small fish like mackerel (or sole in my case).
And even if it doesn't work well for you then you're not losing much money and still can use it as a letter opener or whatnot. :)

I have a 135 masamoto deba I like to use on smaller fish like mackerel and small sea bass/branzino. I feel it's a good size. I have a 210, 180, 135 and than a little ajikiri I would put around 100 my chefs brother gifted me from Japan.

I love the little ajikiri and it has a cool story but find I use the 135 way more often.

Need?

Do i need 7 gyutos? absolutely not

Do i have 7 gyutos? yes

Budget is tight unfortunately. Spent all my money on gyutos as well haha

I have a Takeda and Watanabe 135mm Ajikiri, both a very different as one is double bevel and the other is single.

Both are rather light on the wallet.

A small knife from Takeda, the maker known for a very flat price curve (at least when looking at the prices commonly asked in EU :) - it seems a sharp glance from that man will cost almost as much as a tuna sword), light on the wallet?

An inexpensive one to try would be eg some of Dictum's Mikihisa stuff (shirogami with a reasonably proper urasuki for a few tenners, now we are talking light on the wallet :) )

A small knife from Takeda, the maker known for a very flat price curve (at least when looking at the prices commonly asked in EU :) - it seems a sharp glance from that man will cost almost as much as a tuna sword), light on the wallet?

An inexpensive one to try would be eg some of Dictum's Mikihisa stuff (shirogami with a reasonably proper urasuki for a few tenners, now we are talking light on the wallet :) )

Saw those, I was thinking of getting one, that or a tadafusa?

the watanabe standard line ajikiri are really nice. They are not thick and heavy like a Deba, but they get really sharp and maintain an edge. I have a 105mm that I really like. You may want something a bit larger, but I dont think you would need anything huge. They are also not very expensive. You can bump up to the pro line for not that much money,but you said your budget was tight. I'd check it out.

Back