Angle vs Result

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tip gouging while sharpening is rough on the stone. You can maintain freehand angle integrity trailing stroke when at the tip you drag the tip across the stone without gouging. Some like thin tips I'm in that camp, so behind the edge thin geometry. Burr removal is a light touch.

Personal pride. This is the path for just really seeing what you can accomplish. This is striving for hair-whittling, atom-splitting edges and obsessing over every detail.
Just wanted to share – where one might find oneself, after a few decades of walking this path

http://bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=277&pid=2509#pid2509

1710136838909.png

Just wanted to share – where one might find oneself, after a few decades of walking this path

http://bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=277&pid=2509#pid2509

View attachment 307028
I'm guessing he is the guy from the knife grinders australia youtube channel.

That is an interesting thought, the thickness of the oxide layer forming in stainless effectively thickening an apex to make it not appear to have as fine of an edge radius.

I wouldn't really personally stand by any of that stuff 100% until some electron microscopy could verify what is actually happening there.

Otherwise its just guessing. And sometimes things that happen on that small of a scale don't do what we might expect.

I'm guessing he is the guy from the knife grinders australia youtube channel.

That is an interesting thought, the thickness of the oxide layer forming in stainless effectively thickening an apex to make it not appear to have as fine of an edge radius.

I wouldn't really personally stand by any of that stuff 100% until some electron microscopy could verify what is actually happening there.

Otherwise its just guessing. And sometimes things that happen on that small of a scale don't do what we might expect.
Dr Vadim Kraichuk RIP 2022

He talks about it more in his book on page 54

Dr Vadim Kraichuk RIP 2022

He talks about it more in his book on page 54
Yeah, i need to get it.

Before i do i still need to finish going through the 4th volume of tool steels, just hard to find time to read right now.

I've seen that book mentioned quite a bit though.

Back