Another Cliche Newb Stone Suggestion Help Thread (6-8k range?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhwang92

Reaction score
Hello KKF, I'm new to the forum but I've been always lurking through countless threads for years.
This is my first time posting, and yes I have spent hours researching this matter but there seems to be so many dependencies and opinions involved that it's been tough to draw a conclusion.
Therefore, I will make this as organized as possible for y'all, any replies would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Knives I own (in order of most used):
- W1 Gyuto 240mm SS clad
- Ginsan K-Santoku 180mm SS clad
- Ginsan Petty 135mm
- B2 Yanagiba 300mm iron clad
- Wustof 210mm no bolster
(pictures included to illustrate "wide" bevel)

Stones I own:
- SG500
- SG2000

What I want to do (in order):
- Set or sharpen a koba/microbevel. Yanagiba would benefit from a good polish.
- Thin then polish kireha/primary bevel when needed (I am aware I need a lower grit stone like SG320)
- Set a nice Kasumi contrast (working on obtaining an uchigumori finger stone or natural powder for this, aware that I need a tighter progression for a super nicely finished kireha).

What I am asking:
- Not wanting to go and purchase several stones for a tighter progression at the moment, will work on this over time. Interested in only synthetics at this time.
- I'd like recommendations on a singular stone after the SG2000. Ideally I'd be able to polish a microbevel nicely for kitchen general purpose but nicer than the SG2000, but also would give a relatively nice finish on the primary bevel with kasumi prep in mind, assuming I do it all correctly of course. I usually pull out the yanagi when guests come and I serve sushi so I'd like for it to look nice. :)

Narrowed down to but open to other suggestions:
- Shapton Glass 6k HC (anyone have experience with the "HC" variant?)
- Arashiyama 6k
- Kitayama 8k
- Morihei 8k

I'm located in Canada so I'd prefer to shop within the country for the sake of saving on shipping but I'm flexible if the stone is worth it.
Again, thank you for the read!

Attachments

• APC_0051.JPEG
    APC_0051.JPEG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • APC_0057.JPEG
    APC_0057.JPEG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1980.JPEG
    IMG_1980.JPEG
    424.9 KB · Views: 0
I’m afraid I can’t really help with any particular expertise here, but I just thought I’d say…

The reason nobody’s replied yet isn’t because of rudeness or standoffishness! It’s because there aren’t many people (myself included) who’d feel confident to give a proper opinion on what is quite a detailed question, regarding what are some fairly uncommon, higher grit synths.

The person I can think of who’d be best qualified to advise is @inferno, though I don’t know how much he checks in here any more. I seem to recall he liked the Suehiro G-8 quite a lot for the kinda thing you’re asking about, but probably worth having a proper look through this thread of his too:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-grandiose-synth-kasumi-thread.51860/

Last edited:
Knives I own (in order of most used):
- W1 Gyuto 240mm SS clad
- Ginsan K-Santoku 180mm SS clad
- Ginsan Petty 135mm
- B2 Yanagiba 300mm iron clad
- Wustof 210mm no bolster
(pictures included to illustrate "wide" bevel)

Stones I own:
- SG500
- SG2000

What I want to do (in order):
- Set or sharpen a koba/microbevel. Yanagiba would benefit from a good polish.
- Thin then polish kireha/primary bevel when needed (I am aware I need a lower grit stone like SG320)
- Set a nice Kasumi contrast (working on obtaining an uchigumori finger stone or natural powder for this, aware that I need a tighter progression for a super nicely finished kireha).

What I am asking:
- Not wanting to go and purchase several stones for a tighter progression at the moment, will work on this over time. Interested in only synthetics at this time.
- I'd like recommendations on a singular stone after the SG2000. Ideally I'd be able to polish a microbevel nicely for kitchen general purpose but nicer than the SG2000, but also would give a relatively nice finish on the primary bevel with kasumi prep in mind, assuming I do it all correctly of course. I usually pull out the yanagi when guests come and I serve sushi so I'd like for it to look nice. :)

Narrowed down to but open to other suggestions:
- Shapton Glass 6k HC (anyone have experience with the "HC" variant?)
- Arashiyama 6k
- Kitayama 8k
- Morihei 8k

I'm located in Canada so I'd prefer to shop within the country for the sake of saving on shipping but I'm flexible if the stone is worth it.
Again, thank you for the read!

Maybe a Morihei Hishiboshi 4000 -> Morihei Karasu 9000 would be a valid choice for the kasumi-prep and micro-beveling?

I have the Arashiyama 6k and Kitayama 8k.
I jump from an Imanishi 4k to the Arashiyama 6k then the Kitayama 8k and back down to the Imanishi soft 1k for kasumi. I haven't used the other stones so I can't comment on them.

Back