Another recommendation thread: Onion Slayer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can see this for garlic and shallots. but onions are much bigger with more mass to work through. imo 180mm is not big enough. oversized 210 or sakai 240 is my right size for most onions.

Meh.

I use 165-180's as my primary knives and rarely, if ever, feel under-knifed. Onions are no issue at all.

A long knife can always be made shorter by choking up on the blade. I *easily* mince garlic and shallots with a 290mm knife, but my hand is obviously nowhere near the handle.

Short knives, however, will never be long enough to not be short.

Or, since we’re all out there buying multiple knives anyway, you could buy one shorter knife for those occasions where you don’t want to choke up and have a more comfortable experience holding the knife by the actual handle?

The corollary to your closing sentiment: A long knife’s spine will never be round enough to be a handle

Or, since we’re all out there buying multiple knives anyway, you could buy one shorter knife for those occasions where you don’t want to choke up and have a more comfortable experience holding the knife by the actual handle?

The corollary to your closing sentiment: A long knife’s spine will never be round enough to be a handle
Haha fair enough, can't argue with that!

Though, as a corollary to your corollary: a handle is actually a counterbalance, not a thing you're supposed to hold on to. Pinch grip gang gang 😂😂

As an excuse rationalization for buying more knives I want a ones that are fantastic at specific tasks. I don't think there's a day that goes by where I don't cut up at least one onion. That said I want something that will really excel at them specifically. I know that most knives can be great at onions, but I'm thinking a Bunka will be the ticket. I like the tip for horizontal cuts and they're typically pretty TBE so should glide through an onion. I also like their height for large onions. The one trade off for a lasery bunka will be the sticking issue. I could go with a fancy geometry on the grind to negate stickage (this should be a real word) but then I'd lose that lasery feel.

Here's a couple I was looking at recently:
  • Nigara AS Kiritsuke Nakiri (just a flatter bellied Bunka)
  • Masashi Kokuen Bunka
What is your favorite onion slayer? Anything you can suggest that fits the bill here?

KNIFE TYPE
Bunka, but open to other suggestions.

HANDED
Right handed

HANDLE
Prefer Wa, but okay with Yo.

LENGTH
Interested in the 165-180 range

MATERIAL (Stainless or Not)
Doesn’t matter at all, I always wipe my knives down, but something easier to sharpen is nice.

BUDGET
$150-500

KNIFE USE
Home use, specifically dismembering onions!

GRIP
Pinch

CUTTING MOTIONS
Push mostly

EDGE RETENTION
Longer is always better, but it doesn’t matter. This is for home use and I touch up or sharpen as needed.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Hasagawa/wood boards only and I sharpen my own knives.

I just got my Nigara out of the box and just as I remembered, it is slicey but I would not describe it as an onion slayer. In fact there's a hint of drag from the tall textured blade. Not bad in any way, I'm just using the term "onion slayer" as the measurement standard.

Let me know if you have any questions about the knife.

My onion slayer is a 180mm TF Denka Gyuto
from their website. A bit over budget but handles dreamily.... oh yeah it's ugly.
1712798943903.png

1712799031587.png

@SharpestToolintheShed love that! I have a 180 Maboroshi 180 Gyoto that rocks. High on my list is a Denis in 210-240ish range, but the price is so hard to justify with so many other good things to try.
I chose the Denka because I wanted to just yeet to the top and not look back and wonder if I should get something better. I have a Steelport on my list next. The Denka costs more than a custom Edd Works so YMMV. For that kinda money, get on the list with Ed and get something custom made to your designs by the master.

Takamura's are great onion slayers. Whether the Chromax, VG-10 or SG2 versions.

I'll also add in Kippington.

+1 tak chromax bunka/santoku. Will be in stock shortly at tokushu.

https://tokushuknife.com/products/takamura-chromax-santoku

$139 presale and i think you can get another 15% off with KKF15 at checkout.

[EDIT] PS for another $30 they'll reprofile the spine-to-tip and turn it into a bunka with a sharper tip for you: https://tokushuknife.com/products/rhinoplasty-nose-job

[EDIT 2] Damn now I want a nose job santobunka :(

[EDIT 3] $139 presale price + $30 nose job = $169 - %15 KKF discount = $143.65. Can't afford not to get it!

[EDIT 4] I bought one.

^ A dramatic story, in four acts.

Last edited:
Johnny, you were trying to get your hands on my Masashi Bunka and that would have been a good choice. A good under-the-radar smith that makes good lasers is Kobayashi. Some say his laser stands above shibata and the like in terms of performance, but I have yet to try one.

I just picked up the Otsuka Hamono Bannou in Aogami Super and it is an absolute onion slayer. If you email the owner, there might be other options. It is ground very similarly to my Masashi bunka. Thin, with some curves. I've been very impressed with it.

Kiri-cleavers are really great to use and absolutely slay onions. They're really versatile and user friendly. I have two, Eddworks and a Dua Vau V3. A 65-70 mm tall bunka is where it is at.

Yoshida Hamono's Hap40 knives are absolutely fantastic cutters. I got a gyuto of theirs, really tall, 65mm and it's a triangle shape. It's fantastic in the pinch with cutting onions and other things.

@pitted_soul thanks for the thoughtful reply. A tall bunka would be great. I have a 210 Yoshikane K-tip that’s pretty awesome. Was looking for a bunka for shallot and garlic too. Not that the k-tip can’t do it, but wanted to buy another knife to fit another slot. I have a lot of things to look at now with all the great suggestions.

I dice at least 50-100 lbs of onions a week at work all with a bunka. Ryusen has the best bunka on the market imo. The tip is finer and more gradual so higher performance. Yoshimi kato/masakage are also excellent. Shibata has a unique shape that I’m not crazy about, I think it’s a decent blade but the others are better. Imo it’s a bit too tall, and the tip isn’t as fine, it’s a little clunky compared to the others. Also have a Yu Kurosaki Senko bunka that I’m not a big fan of. The tip on mine is kind of thick and it also feels very small.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.mov
    30.8 MB
  • IMG_0792.mov
    44.4 MB
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
As you've seen by the wide variation in recommendations pretty much any knife under the sun can be an onion slayer.
I'd gravitate towards stuff with good distal taper (makes the initial cuts go easier)... and longer (just makes for better ergonomics for me). But feels a bit weird to get a 'special knife' just for onions in a home setting. I don't ever have onions as my only ingredient.

@pitted_soul thanks for the thoughtful reply. A tall bunka would be great. I have a 210 Yoshikane K-tip that’s pretty awesome. Was looking for a bunka for shallot and garlic too. Not that the k-tip can’t do it, but wanted to buy another knife to fit another slot. I have a lot of things to look at now with all the great suggestions.

What you secretly desire is a nakiri. ;)

Don't be turned off by the rounded "tip", they work just fine. You can also look at the kaku style with more squared ends ala Moritaka and others.

There's a 165 Wat on BST right now that might worth considering. :)

Back