Another "Which Knife Should I Should I Buy" Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to a recommendation, if you don't mind a 210, take a look at the Sugimoto wa-gyuto, it's a steal at $80.

BTW, welcome to KKF!

Rick

This. Superb blade.

http://tinyurl.com/7qw3d4n

Tanaka VG-10 210/240mm are $130/140 respectively. I have a Tanaka petty in blue steel; which is an awesome little knife. Fit and finish is adequate, but at this price level you takes your choice. I've not seen any negative comments about the cutting performance of Tanaka's knives.

http://tinyurl.com/74x2jby

Tanaka 210mm in Ginsanko (a very highly regarded stainless) is $110. Somewhat thicker than the VG-10 and blue knives apparently.

http://tinyurl.com/74x2jby

Personally, I'd get the Sugimoto, if you can live with the cheap (but perfectly functional) handle.

OK, 2 more added to the list of consideration:

Tojiro Shiragomi ITK
Tojiro DP
Miyabi Kaizen
Sugiimoto CM
Tanaka Ginsanto

I realize the Tanaka is $110, which is over my budget, but it looks like a good knife.
So, which will it be?
Lenny

In regards to the ITK's reactivity; I removed the kirouchi finish, which took literally 30 seconds, as it is really of poor quality, and spent about an hour polishing the blade to near mirror. Reactivity has been zero since, It has taken a nice mirrory blue patina.

A little time rounding the choil and spine, and a new handle and this knife FAR outperforms its pricetag.

Its edge retention has been on par with other white #2's as well.....

So, how did you remove the black finish and mirror polish the blade.
And how much does a rehandle cost?
For $60, a new handle might not break the bank.
Lenny

In regards to the ITK's reactivity; I removed the kirouchi finish, which took literally 30 seconds, as it is really of poor quality, and spent about an hour polishing the blade to near mirror. Reactivity has been zero since, It has taken a nice mirrory blue patina.

A little time rounding the choil and spine, and a new handle and this knife FAR outperforms its pricetag.

Its edge retention has been on par with other white #2's as well.....

Since this is a someone's first japanese kitchen knife, and they use an EP, I'm guessing that removing the kurouchi finish and mirror polishing the blade might be a bit much for them.

So, how did you remove the black finish and mirror polish the blade.
And how much does a rehandle cost?
For $60, a new handle might not break the bank.
Lenny

You can remove the KU finish on a stone or with low grit sand paper. Then a mirror polish is just going up with higher grits of sand paper, it takes some time.
A new handle, depending on whom you get it from of course, is probably in the range of $100-$200 including shipping and installation.

Andrew,
I don't think I'll have any problem removing the finish, or polishing the blade if I decide to.
However, I'd rather not have to do any of that to a new knife.
Clearly, though, a new handle is out of the question.
Lenny

I got mine upgraded directly through cktg for less than $100, total. The kourichi literally wiped away with wet sandpaper....

Come on guys, let's get down to business.
Here's my list.
Which would you recommend?
Are there any I should completely not consider?
Could you rank them?

Tojiro Shiragomi ITK
Tojiro DP
Miyabi Kaizen
Sugiimoto CM
Tanaka Ginsanto

Thanks,
Lenny

It looks to me like you want a German knife (almost) or a Shun. That is, lots of the advantages of a Japanese knife are not things you describe wanting in your original post. (Some of them are, so I don't wan to be too simplistic about this. Like... a Japanese handle, for one).

That is, the sharper the knife, the more relaxed and "softer" pinch grip you get to use. You primarily use a hammer grip. The J-Knives are lighter and more agile "i.e., easier to point") in part because the lower tip on the profile makes them so; you do mostly "rock chopping" and want a bigger belly on the knife. Rock chopping with a hammer grip and a bigger belly means lots more "powering through", less sharpness needed or helpful, less agility needed or helpful. And a shorter knife with a bigger belly gets rid of one big set of very important concerns that lead people to J-knives. (Mind you, I get there are some edge characteristics that will still be better -- most of those are much more at issue for someone who is sharpening by hand, too. Not all).

Now, you *also* said you were going to experiment with different grips, which might lead to different cutting styles and more use for a sharper more agile knife, so maybe I'm wrong. And you do want a wa-handle, which you'll get only on a Japanese knife. I say this just to prove I'm reading, and let you know that none of what I said above is meant to be construed as telling you what you *should* want, I just want to point out that it may be helpful to do more thinking about why you want what you want. And if you're willing to learn a slightly broader set of knife skills, all my original concerns go away.

That said, from your list, I can't rank them because I've only handled a few of them. Just based on price and past recommendations, and that I think the Tojiro Shirogami is probably more reactive than you might truly be wanting to deal with, I'd recommend the Tojiro DP. On the other hand, given that you might be entirely in this just for a non-western handle, I'd recommend whatever is least expensive and re-think after some time of dealing with it.

PLEASE ignore all of this if it is indeed not helpful to you.

Wagstaff,
Thanks for your input.
I should've put this more simply right up front.
I want a Wa handled Japanese knife mostly because I've never used one before and I want
to see what they're all about.
I'm by no means a chef, and in all honesty, have very little kitchen experience.
I'd just like to experiment with my Western Hoffritz knifes vs a Japanese knife to see
what I like and dislike about each.
Lenny

I get that you want a Japanese handle -- that just seems to be a bit at odds with some other things you want so.... I wanted that considered. GIVEN all that, I'd pretty much suggest get the cheapest (probably stainless) Japanese handled knife from your list. (I know that's not helpful for all the advance-obession fun!)

He should buy one or both of Son's Myabis, They fit his bill like a glove!

Back