Any Ultimatum m390 reports?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpening is part of the hobby for many of us. Taking that out of the equation removes some of the fun , and that kinda sucks! For the pro chef who hates sharpening, or has no time to do so, I understand the fascination, but for anyone else...meh.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy sharpening. This steel, however, makes it quite a bit less fun.

is the steel prone to chipping? if it has extra heft, it kind of defeats the purpose if you have to be really careful how you use it. was originally interested in this due to the size and potential edge retention.

re: sharpening, i'm in a pro environment and HATE sharpening, it's a chore not therapeutic.

is the steel prone to chipping? if it has extra heft, it kind of defeats the purpose if you have to be really careful how you use it. was originally interested in this due to the size and potential edge retention.

re: sharpening, i'm in a pro environment and HATE sharpening, it's a chore not therapeutic.

+100

-AJ

Someone mentioned that all of the knives made by Lamson tend to run thick. From the pictures, it looked like the stock was thick to start with compared to the other knife, not just the area behind the edge. Could it be that the Berger CNC grinders cannot handle the thinner stock? I don't know about the "skinny" M390, but I do know that I can get Elmax stock in the thicker sizes from Bohler-Uddehom in about any flavor I want. They have 5 different sizes just in the .148 to .236 range alone.

The artifex on the whole seems a tiny bit thinner than the ultimatum, but significantly thicker behind the edge. *******, I think you're definitely right about them using thicker stock; the tang is probably just as thick, if not thicker, than my old henckels pro s 8".

WRT chipping, I haven't used it enough to tell. Judging by reviews of the steel in non-culinary applications, it isn't very chippy. Those folks are dealing with significantly thicker edges than we are, but hopefully m390 is just as resilient in knives with very slim geometries.

I haven't looked into M390 that much, but the impression that I got was that in the B-U lineup, it is their super wear resistant (and super pricy) PM stainless that has better abrasion resistance and higher hardness than Elmax, but perhaps not the toughness (apparently few good stainless steels are that tough) or a more "carbon steel like" behavior on the stones like you hear people talk about with Elmax, CTS-XHP and S35VN sometimes..

i just spent a lot of time with a 19c27 version and to say it was thick (BOTH behind the edge and at the spine) would be an understatement. I spent almost 4 hours getting it into better shape.

I also want to mention that i had some customers in to test side by side feelings in sharping between the 19c27 ultimatum and suisin inox honyaki and we came to the conclusion that the HT's are very very different.

I also want to mention that i had some customers in to test side by side feelings in sharping between the 19c27 ultimatum and suisin inox honyaki and we came to the conclusion that the HT's are very very different.
Interesting because if the heat treat on the Ultimatum is being done by the folks in Rhode Island that Lamson referred me to, it could have been done in high temp salt pots to whatever specs they chose.

just hitting the same hrc doesnt equal the same properties... i see a lot of knives in the same steel at the same hrc that act differently

just hitting the same hrc doesnt equal the same properties... i see a lot of knives in the same steel at the same hrc that act differently
Jon, if all of those knives were heat treated by pros who actually know what they are doing, I would suspect that any difference might be the result of someone trying to save a buck or two. There aren't really any super secret heat treatment recipes out their for most commonly available steels, but some methods are a bit more time consuming and costly than the old standard " get it hot then get it wet" technique. :biggrin:

for the most part i agree, but there are a number of things different between the US and Japan with regard to this. Moreover, there can be differences in initial quenching, tempering, etc., that can yield the same hrc, but act differently.

For example, take Devins aeb-l heat treatment versus other aeb-l heat treatments. I've sharpened and used a few, and even at the same hrc, they are different.

The secret to heat treating is the quench. You must quench in the urine of a red headed holy man.

Hoss

That depends on how much Guinness he consumed the night before.

I should also point out, Devin, correct me if I'm wrong, that the "Conan Quench" is used primarily on AEB-L - a stainless steel used in razors and fine cutlery. Because of the type of steel, virtually no reactivity occurs, whether they be smell or otherwise. However, when used on carbon steels, such as 52100, initially there can be a smell similar to "burnt orange and persimmon", which many fund quite appealing.

Back