Any women knifemakers killing it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Mark, Mori is the Smith and Myojin is the sharpener.

Been googling a bit. Can't speak to the blacksmith... but the Konosuke website says Myojin is the sharpener:

During his time at Konosuke, Myojin has been the sharpener on our MM series, the FM Fujiyama, as well as our newly released ‘Tetsujin’ line, which is made in conjunction with his longtime friend and blacksmith Tetsu.

We are also very happy to be able to unveil the newest feature of all knives sharpened by Myojin- his own stamp.

From this point on, all knives Myojin sharpens for Konosuke will have this ‘kokuin’, to help our faithful fans from around the world better identify Myojin’s excellent work.

I guess it can't get more definitive than that?

I’m pretty sure Kosuke said in a thread on the other forum that there will be no more MMs due to lack of interest.

The line isn't listed on their website 😞

A little surprised no one has mentioned Rachel Ray 🤔
Shocking
I hope she still had 10 digits by the end of this shoot.
8347c4e4-1725-45eb-945e-2d176cd1c349._SR300,300_.jpg

They’ve just sat there on the shelf, instock for quite some time.
Wassup with that? Ugly cktg handles?

All the handles I saw were the kono khii ebony, which are pretty nice.

It’s hard to say why these didn’t get as much interest as they deserved. Personally I think part was the timing of them being released so close to when the old Fuji’s discontinued. The last old Fuji’s were 2017/18 and these came out early 2018 iirc. All the hype on konosuke was how they would handle replacing their flagship knife and as such there was a lot of interest with what was going on with these new FM and FT Fujiyamas. So when the MM wasn’t overshadowed by this it was directly compared to the old Fuji even though it was different smith and sharpener and not meant to be the same knife. People wanted their Fuji and this wasn’t it, not that it wasn’t ‘as good’ just that it was different and it lost momentum. My thoughts anyway who knows... To bad they are great knives, great reviews of them out there. I’ve really enjoyed my ginsan and it’s nice to have a women smith knife in the collection.

I was not aware of Elaine Leblanc prior to seeing the post above. Her work looks awesome for sure.

Vanessa Martin kills it:

204977E7-0410-4A3D-BBE9-76985168FC74.jpeg

Andrea Lisch is definitely on my list, as well as Haley DesRosiers.

As for the Kono MM smith, yes she is a younger woman that was once on hiatus for maternity leave. Her skill at smithing is really up there. Given the MM and the Fujiyama FM were both sharpened and polished by the same guy (Myojin), I found it very difficult to tell them apart as far as steel was concerned. That really says something for her smithing considering the FM is by Y. Tanaka himself.

I was not aware of Elaine Leblanc prior to seeing the post above. Her work looks awesome for sure.

Vanessa Martin kills it:

View attachment 90658

Andrea Lisch is definitely on my list, as well as Haley DesRosiers.

As for the Kono MM smith, yes she is a younger woman that was once on hiatus for maternity leave. Her skill at smithing is really up there. Given the MM and the Fujiyama FM were both sharpened and polished by the same guy (Myojin), I found it very difficult to tell them apart as far as steel was concerned. That really says something for her smithing considering the FM is by Y. Tanaka himself.
MM sounds like a bargain.

All the handles I saw were the kono khii ebony, which are pretty nice.

It’s hard to say why these didn’t get as much interest as they deserved. Personally I think part was the timing of them being released so close to when the old Fuji’s discontinued. The last old Fuji’s were 2017/18 and these came out early 2018 iirc. All the hype on konosuke was how they would handle replacing their flagship knife and as such there was a lot of interest with what was going on with these new FM and FT Fujiyamas. So when the MM wasn’t overshadowed by this it was directly compared to the old Fuji even though it was different smith and sharpener and not meant to be the same knife. People wanted their Fuji and this wasn’t it, not that it wasn’t ‘as good’ just that it was different and it lost momentum. My thoughts anyway who knows... To bad they are great knives, great reviews of them out there. I’ve really enjoyed my ginsan and it’s nice to have a women smith knife in the collection.
I agree with this concerning the overshadowing. The one thing ill add is that the mm might benefit from a little more of a unique finish. Not that it was finished poorly. It just wasnt as sexy imo as the FM. Personally, i think they should keep that line going, maybe make the spine a little thicker like they started out with and have really nice distal taper. Perhaps, just tweak it a touch, but its seems sort a shame to discontinue it.

I agree with this concerning the overshadowing. The one thing ill add is that the mm might benefit from a little more of a unique finish. Not that it was finished poorly. It just wasnt as sexy imo as the FM.

Yes this too. Shouldn’t matter but seems average customer expects visual extra from Konosuke. I’m ok with understated looks if there’s good performance. Life lessons kids ;)

Eliane Leblanc, violin maker and restorer, part-time bladesmith.

Jeez what have I done with my life??? Seriously good on her.

Julia Kalthoff

From @RDalman over at the Naturals from outside japan thread. Thought I would share her work here. Although she makes axes, i reckon that counts!
I can definately recommend her axe. Use mine alot, it's fantastically tight, in design and execution. And that shes a great person doesn't hurt either, but her axe really markets itself I'd say. We shared shop for a bit when I was in Stockholm.

Im surprised you can make a living off handmade axes... Good for her!! I know there are some dedicated communities but it still seems wild to me!

Im surprised you can make a living off handmade axes... Good for her!! I know there are some dedicated communities but it still seems wild to me!
I think there's a quickly growing interest currently in greenwood carving and "sloyd". Accessible craft, a axe and knife and no dustmaking. You can do it in the living room.

Have you seen how many trees there are in Scandanavia and wood burning fires? Makes total sense. CM better watch out, there's a new kickass chick on the block.

Back