anyone here into edible gardening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. 24 4x10 raised beds.

blog1029.jpg

Nice!

Has anyone heard of dog hair deterring deer from eating your bulbs, etc? I was told it works, but have no need to try it since I live in suburbia.

Don't get me started on Monsanto. And yes, they do sue farmers, if they don't plant all of their seed or return it. And there's the ever popular soy bean that's resistant to weed killer. Yum.

Wisconsin produces the most soy beans in the country. (Hello Kikoman) There's soy bean fields down the street and when the crop dusters come in I hide.

P.S. Better than corn, cops can hide in the corn.

Nice!

Has anyone heard of dog hair deterring deer from eating your bulbs, etc? I was told it works, but have no need to try it since I live in suburbia.

Doubt it. My biggest struggle is with critters. At any one time I have 3 dogs and a cat that prowls. I'd shoot the bastages but I have a rule about that kind of thing. (mice, rats, coyotes and cockroaches are the exception)

I guess I should have said people to.

Wow nice Gardens Mkmk and Salty. I wish I had that much room in my back yard. Last year I started growing Jalapenos and pickling them. Super easy to grow and they take very little space. Most of the gardens I planted I was trying to attract deer not keep them away!
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg

Mine's not so pretty. If I had more time I'd like to spruce it up and show it off to the customers.

We grow quite a few vegetables, namely cucumbers, onions, carrots, beets, green beans, hot peppers / chiles (around 10 varieties) and tomatoes. We planted some fruit trees 3 years ago and they are doing well! Got about half a bushel of apricots, a few buckets of figs and a couple of pears.

I agree with those who have posted before, gardening keeps a person grounded.:eyebrow:

Vegetables and green tomatoes

GardenVegetables_zps5975db0a.jpg

Figs

IMAG0062.jpg

Baby Carrots

IMAG0086.jpg

We even grow a few baby turtles / desert tortoises. Just kidding, they came with the place.......

UnBebeTortugaqueViveenelDesiertodeNuevaMexico_zps05e0d964.jpg

Saludes,

The New Mexican

002.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

Lots **** to rip out,but this was the first year.

Before it was all covered in ****** buck thorn. Now to do more raised beds, but even dirt is expensive on a cooks salary.

I have the 30x40 community garden across the street as well because the city forgot they have no water source, so I take care of it.

20120922_140455_zps78418cba.jpg

20120922_140440_zps4054865c.jpg

After everything starts to die off I get a fall run of red mustard mizuna and spinach.

Looks better in a muscle shirt than I do.

Nice!

Before we put up our fencing we trying just about everything including different animal urines. Never tried dog hair though. I can tell you that when deer are hungry enough nothing will deter them and they'll eat just about anything.

nice to see more people posting. great lookin gardens. am so jealous. the soil in my garden is just dead. been trying to build it up for years. no success yet.

That's a problem I have. Been composting for a couple years trying to build up the soil. It's an organic garden. Currently we're limited in what we can plant. Not such a big deal since we hooked up with the organic farmer down the road. (And the pig farm is just down the road from there. Being in the sticks has it's advantages.)

at least you have access to someone that knows his stuff and pig poo (assuming the pigs aren't diseased or anything).....

i'm actually thinking of doing aquaponics instead. might be easier for me and my back.

We use something called Moo Doo. Gotta love those marketers.

I love to garden. Strictly edible. I even make and sell cedar raised beds for a living here in the Seattle area.

Had some saffron that we grew last night (and it was good!) The saffron crocus's spring-blooming cousins are in bloom right now. Even if they aren't edible, the bees love them, so they're good for honey production. (If you look there's a big fat bumble bee in the middle of the photo. The first one we've seen this year.)

Spring5.jpg

would love to be able to grow saffron here. kinda hard importing whole live bulbs into the country. would love to try though.

I posted this awhile back. It's not purely edible but, about 50 percent edible and 100% medicinal. This is just my mothers front yard. The backyard contains mi fathers vegetable garden and many more plants.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ggEVRpPJ0

Mom's front yard

I thought you guys my get a kick out of my mom's front yard. My parents live in Southern California, El Toro, actually. My mother is Vietnamese and we think subconsciously she is trying to recreate Vietnam. This is just the entrance to the front yard mind you. The part before the gate is the street view and as we walk past the gate you will see a pond filled with water hyacinths. My father and I built that when we first moved into the house in 88" it's about 1500 gallons and three feet deep at the deepest. As you walk over the stone bridge you pass by the waterfall and head into the house. The front yard is full of fruit trees (papayas, mangos, persimmons, longan, litchii, sapotes, donut peaches, white nectarines , many kinds of bananas, guavas, kumquats and the large canopy tree is a cherimoya that puts out 2+ kilo fruit. She is one of the few people in the California that grows pineapples consistently. You can't even fathom what is going on in the back yard. Between the hundreds of varieties of orchids, epiphyllums, 40 different fruit trees and literally 20,000 plus plants, 2 ponds, 1 waterfall, five shade houses, 20 hummingbird and dove nest throughout the yard and dozens of exotic amphibian species that just showed up with the plants. Not to mention the racoons, possums, great blue heron, egrets, hawks and what appears to be a wild family of four wild long tailed weasels that have taken up residents. The ponds were filled with very large and rare species of koi that we raised from goldfish size to 24in before the 4 damn 65 pound raccoons and heron ate them all. We had 2 dozen in the 12 in to 24 in range. Now we just have goldfish, salamanders, turtles and giant apple snails. Hope you guys like it.

What!!!

Nice!

The only thing I have seen deter deer at our place is a dog.

We used to have a few raised gardens for spinach and tomatoes. They have since been converted for raspberries.

I am going to try again this year with gardening. I own a townhouse so I don't really have a ton of room to garden so most of mine has to be done with planters so herbs and smaller things work not sure about anything else. Anyone got any good stuff that grows well in planters?

depends on the size of planters. bush beans, determinate tomatoes, hot peppers in 5 gallon pots (for max yield, but can get away with 3 gallon ones), edible flowers like nasturtiums, lettuce, radish, carrots, celery, spring onions, strawberries.... even lemon, calamansi, kaffir lime, key lime, peaches.... in large pots.

Greens: chard, sorrel, arugula, lemon grass

the pots are 3 gallon stone pots.they cant hold a bunch the only things ive ever been successful with is basil, chives, thyme, cayenne peppers, jalapenos, and cherry tomatoes. but thats i will look into all of those. one another note my fiancees lilly grows back every year but i found a spot in the ground for it. this thing has gotten huge its like 4 feet tall now.

look into growing vertically if space is an issue =D

my hoa is a pain in the ass so i have to find a place to grow veggies and such so i put the planters behind the bush in front of my porch so you cant see them from the road.

I have never seen a deer within 50 yards of our fence with 4 dogs as a deterrent. I only use natural bug deterrents too and it seems that they have built up a liking for hot peppers as they have even eaten into plants covered with those the last few years.

I have a 18x30 garden with about 10 various tomato plants 4-5 peppers a couple of hot peppers (depends on the year and what I am in the mood to grow), 3-4 cucumbers, string beans, chives, parsley, cilantro, squash and various greens. Our soil is very clay heavy river bed type soil so potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips have all done extremely poorly so I have given up on those.

I am going to try again this year with gardening. I own a townhouse so I don't really have a ton of room to garden so most of mine has to be done with planters so herbs and smaller things work not sure about anything else. Anyone got any good stuff that grows well in planters?

Lettuce like Mesclun works really well in very small planters and you get a nice product that regenerates a few times. Herbs as well.

I am hoping to have time soon to do a little more vegetable gardening. Our biggest problem is that we have 2 drainfields in the yard--ours and our next door neighbor's, so it really cuts down on the plantable space. I'm thinking about getting some tables to sit out on the drainfield and start some veggies in pots. A couple added advantages are being able to garden without stooping or squatting, and I could wrap the table legs with copper strips to deter the slugs. For plants that like warm feet it would also get them up off the chilly ground.

Back