Apex Ultra Isasmedjan Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by Jamie (@thebradleycrew), I want to do my own passaround of some Apex Ultra, which is a newer steel many people have not used, and give back to the community a bit. I am going to copy/modify some rules:

• Estimated value is $800, so if you break it please be prepared and able to buy it or fix it to same condition.
  • Each user is responsible for the packing and shipping to the next person.
  • I'd ask that each person who uses the knife check it very carefully for chips, damage, etc. - we need to address that type of thing head on.
  • The shipper is responsible for any loss, damage, or theft, so please insure it (I recommend pirateship which uses third party insurance that actually pays out).
  • I would like this to be shorter in nature. If you can keep it to 3-4 days before you pass it on that would be appreciated. 5 days max.
  • This is wrought clad. I do not mind a patina build up at all, but try not to let it rust guys 😅
  • You may sharpen it if you feel it needs it, but try a light strop first. I only ask you attempt to sharpen if you are confident in your abilities, and can sharpen without scratching the sh**t out of it LOL.
  • I'm limiting the pass around to 10 people depending on demand, USA only.
I hate to be that guy, but to join, I would like to know you are an active member of the community and not so new. I would say a minimum of a year old account, and at least 100 posts. This is not a hard and fast rule however, I will look case by case basis. If you don't fit those guidelines and want to be in, DM me. Please @ me if you would like to be on the list.

I would love a nice write up with impressions on how you like it before/after you pass it on!

Please note the handle installed is not stock, and is long and thin. I am probably gonna swap it out after the passaround but for now, you will have to #dealwithit

Now onto the specimen: this is 240x53:

Day of delivery with beige handle:

day1.jpg

How we are sitting now:

Last edited:
You may sharpen it if you feel it needs it, but try a light strop first. I only ask you attempt to sharpen if you are confident in your abilities, and can sharpen without scratching the sh**t out of it LOL.
Would definitely advise to keep sharpening to a minimum, if only needed.
The Magnacut Sicard Passaround was the most what the **** moment for me.
After only 5 members some guys managed it to completely alter the knife, make it way too thick. With Magnacut especially you really have to try for that. This is not the first tme I see a PA knife getting handled like that in here.
Also took part in the Hardent PA and found the steel to be quite tame regarding patina and corrosion. With the third person the knives already started to rust!?

Generous offer @jedy617
Jonas work can be quite nice

Would definitely advise to keep sharpening to a minimum, if only needed.
The Magnacut Sicard Passaround was the most what the **** moment for me.
After only 5 members some guys managed it to completely alter the knife, make it way too thick. With Magnacut especially you really have to try for that. This is not the first tme I see a PA knife getting handled like that in here.
Also took part in the Hardent PA and found the steel to be quite tame regarding patina and corrosion. With the third person the knives already started to rust!?

Generous offer @jedy617
Jonas work can be quite nice
There's something about a fancy new steel that seems to have everyone breaking out a dozen rocks and going to town on it... Might be good to dictate that participants only do a brief touch up on high grit stones (say 3k and up) unless otherwise agreed.

Anyway, thanks for putting this on - definitely interested in trying another Isas! @jedy617

There's something about a fancy new steel that seems to have everyone breaking out a dozen rocks and going to town on it... Might be good to dictate that participants only do a brief touch up on high grit stones (say 3k and up) unless otherwise agreed.

Anyway, thanks for putting this on - definitely interested in trying another Isas! @jedy617
Yeah I don't want it to be butchered, but don't mind people giving it a light touch up.

You're first on the list.

Edited list:

1. @timebard
2. @Malcolm Johnson
3. @thebradleycrew
4. @brimmergj
5.@Justinv
6. @mc2442
7. @Delat
8. @Dan-
9. @ch_br
10. @sansho
11. @kman94
12 @T85
13. @ethompson

Last edited:
Experienced polishers are more than welcome to play around with the wrought. I was planning on testing on stones when it came back anyway

I have to wonder what people are doing to need to do more than touch up after a week. Anyway, I’d not go below 2k and then only lightly. My usual is 2k/5k.

Oh, twist my arm… sure, count me in
I'll put you last so you can be free to play around with the polish if you'd like, and that way maybe I can get it a bit cleaned up from what the rest of the goons do to my baby first 🤣

Edit: (Would love you to play with the wrought on your stones but don't feel the need to polish if you don't want, good chance I also play with my jnats with it anyway at the end)

Last edited:

In that case it was agreed that sharpening is in scope but I do think even with that it was seriously thick. It was almost like someone chipped it then sharpened it to hide the evidence, because it felt like a lot more than 6 sharpenings when it got to me

Thank you!

Feel free to replace me if needed. As a home cook I cannot offer the wealth of knowledge or comparison as many here would be able to that would benefit everyone.

Thank you!

Feel free to replace me if needed. As a home cook I cannot offer the wealth of knowledge or comparison as many here would be able to that would benefit everyone.
Nah I am a home cook as well and hell, even I find it hard to describe how something cuts or sharpens sometimes besides "good" or "bad" lol. We have plenty of spots on the list.

Thank you for offering this for the community.

I'd love to be considered for this... It looks pretty fun.

However, would need to be placed number 8, or later, due to my schedule for the next 6 weeks.

Thanks,

That brings up a good question....where is this starting? I am in SD so will be included in the beginning or the end I assume. Although, as long as it is CONUS, I guess it really does not matter.

Back