Apple Watch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chang

Gay for Gyutos
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
my fellow BOH'ers, I got a question.

so I'm not a watch guy at all, I'll maybe wear one if I have to dress up, but I've been entertaining the thought of possibly grabbin' an Apple watch. Anyone have any experience with wearing one and working service? I dunk my hands into my soap bane a lot, I'd feel super nervous if I had on any watch because of the constant exposure to water.

I wear a Casio Mud Master at work. I think I could run that thing thru high temp dish and it would be fine. A kid that works as an aide wears an Apple watch. The only thing the kid and the watch is good for is setting timers - but he still burns the cookies.

If you are really washing your hands that much, I'd say nah. I mainly see the mid or GM people wearing them because they do more "dainty" tasks. I used to wear a Nixon at work because it could easily take the abuse but eventually, I ditched it because it'd get irritating. But all of this is dependent on where you work, your tasks, how messy it is, etc..

I wear a Casio Mud Master at work. I think I could run that thing thru high temp dish and it would be fine. A kid that works as an aide wears an Apple watch. The only thing the kid and the watch is good for is setting timers - but he still burns the cookies.
Is his name Dennis? If so, I've worked with him before. He only lasted 2 weeks though.

I wear one doing prep a couple days at a restaurant and then doing my own small catering hustle. I find the timer and reading texts etc without getting my phone out of my pocket to be pretty useful. Washing at the hand sink doesn’t make me overly worried nor really my sani bucket. But ofc I don’t know what your service is like so if it’s truly hectic and you’re dunking a lot it might not work out.

I wear one in the hospital. Sanitize and or wash my hands all day. No issues. Many of my colleagues wear them as well because we get a lot of important texts throughout the day. I actually have a hand wash app on mine that roughly detects and counts down for proper time. I wouldn’t sweat it. The newer gens. are pretty durable. Could always get a year of apple care for it just to be safe as well.

I wear one in the hospital. Sanitize and or wash my hands all day. No issues. Many of my colleagues wear them as well because we get a lot of important texts throughout the day. I actually have a hand wash app on mine that roughly detects and counts down for proper time. I wouldn’t sweat it. The newer gens. are pretty durable. Could always get a year of apple care for it just to be safe as well.
This. They’re meant to be waterproof to a decent depth for a decent amount of time, so washing hands shouldn’t ever be an issue.

The main issue I have with mine is I find it annoying to wear all day, but that’s just watches in general for me.

my fellow BOH'ers, I got a question.

so I'm not a watch guy at all, I'll maybe wear one if I have to dress up, but I've been entertaining the thought of possibly grabbin' an Apple watch. Anyone have any experience with wearing one and working service? I dunk my hands into my soap bane a lot, I'd feel super nervous if I had on any watch because of the constant exposure to water.
Works great. I get all my notifications from reps without having to pull my phone out, I can send text messages without having to pull my phone out either and if I have to work a service it's an awesome timer. The newer watches are water proof enough to handle the kind of water exposure you are talking about, I hand wash mine every night.

Works great. I get all my notifications from reps without having to pull my phone out, I can send text messages without having to pull my phone out either and if I have to work a service it's an awesome timer. The newer watches are water proof enough to handle the kind of water exposure you are talking about, I hand wash mine every night.

Ok just to be clear, how I was my hands, I have a bane filled up with soapy water for my pans, and I usually dunk my hands in and rinse. That should be ok right?
This. They’re meant to be waterproof to a decent depth for a decent amount of time, so washing hands shouldn’t ever be an issue.

The main issue I have with mine is I find it annoying to wear all day, but that’s just watches in general for me.

yeah, i'm the same way, always hated wearing watches. felt like it restricted my range of wrist motion.

"Apple Watch Series 2 and later can be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean, but you shouldn't use models other than Apple Watch Ultra for diving, water skiing, or other activities involving submersion below shallow depth or high-velocity water."

From the apple.com site. I wouldn't run a 3 compartment sink with one through a service on but you should be able to simply dunk and wash your hands without issue.

Gonna grab it from Amazon, if it doesn't work out, back it goes.

big brother whatever GIF by Big Brother After Dark

I've been wearing one for about 8 months now and haven't had any issues with water exposure. The ability to run multiple timers off of your wrist is awesome, like REALLY awesome. Plus it's easier to check texts and stuff during service.

FWIW I shower with it on and it's no problem. If you want a cheaper option get a G-Shock.

I know nothing about Apple Watches but it looks like you can buy water proof cases for yours if you’d like.
Side note: the timer alarm for toast monitors is the most annoying sound in the world, people just turn the alarm off just to make the sound go away without regard for whatever is about to burn in the oven. I just use my phone.

I know nothing about Apple Watches but it looks like you can buy water proof cases for yours if you’d like.
Side note: the timer alarm for toast monitors is the most annoying sound in the world, people just turn the alarm off just to make the sound go away without regard for whatever is about to burn in the oven. I just use my phone.
Ever since @Currantly told me about these:

https://www.thermoworks.com/timesti...kysdYi2liLQoqPI2AIkN4xsiDKOSGLLBoCsO4QAvD_BwE
We’ve been using em religiously at the restaurant. One on each station (2).

The only con is that when the batteries start to go, they just start to shut off randomly, which has led to me cursing up a storm during prep haha

I wear mine everyday and throughly enjoy it. Water shouldn't be a big deal as they are pretty waterproof without the actual waterproof feature turned on.

I've seen friends and coworkers Use Apple watches with no problems but it's not like our hands are constantly submerged in hot soapy water 🤷‍♂️

I wear my g shock, I'd probably break doing any activity before the watch does. Also solar powered and radio controlled so its set and forget. Was dunking my hand in the dish pit tonight so there's some residue ha.

Attachments

• 20230820_022858.jpg
    20230820_022858.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The Apple Ultra watch is waterproof to 100m. You can swim with such a watch so no issues in the kitchen whatsoever

Swimming is different than exposing a watch to pressure spraying water, high temps, caustic cleaners, sani solutions, bumping hell out of it, etc. My silverware presoak would eat small childruns if left long enough...

Apple may have it's place- but not my place.

I have an Apple Watch. I use the timer more than anything for cooking. You can set multiple timers if you want. Mine also has a cell so I can leave my iPhone behind sometimes and only use my watch. No problem wearing it in water or salt water as I do.

You probably want an iPhone to go with it as it does use blue tooth to the iPhone for a lot of things. There are 2 models of the Apple Watch one is blue tooth and the other has a cell built-in for a little more money. My wife always carries her iPhone so we recently turned off her cell as it functions fine without cell service.

The Apple watch also tries to keep you healthy as it tracks steps and exercise.

Back