Are Takedas still worth the price?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of custom options did you go for on the Moritaka? I didn't think they would make anything as expensive as that, aside from their damascus.

Cheers,
Josh

It was this one here. It is in a lot of my cooking pics.

BrFPx.St.117.jpg

Here is the specs I asked for:

Style: Chukabocho (Chinese cleaver).
Size: 22x11cm
Steel: Aogami Super Steel / Hammer-patterned Kurouchi / Damascus
Blade: Very thin and light, for vegetable slicing only.
Octagonal handle
Please make the edge slightly curved.

I would also like the blade polished about a third up from the edge before
going into the hammer pattern.

Here is a picture of them putting on the hammer pattern.

uMBGq.St.58.jpeg

It's rock solid. I was very impressed. Honestly, I assumed it was not a Moritaka because it was so "together".

I have around 10 Chinese cleavers, but had this one made to be my dream cleaver.
Aogami Super Steel and Damascus, but with the black finish going 2/3 up in homage to the traditional Chinese Cleavers.

Bought a Takeda 240 ish Gyuto after reading many positive reviews, however when it arrived it had the new profile, which is really thick down the edge. Currently it is back in the box; due to it keeps digging in and gripping the chopping board each time I use it.

It is also extremely high which people do mention, however this should not be overlooked as someone’s personal preference or a style which you can easily adjust too. If this is your first knife or you have not been cooking for long it may suit; however if like me you have been around for a few years it will take some getting use too and disrupt your usual cutting style drastically.

In all it is a slower knife to use than a traditional shaped “chefs” knife, which does slow production down in a professional kitchen environment. However for the home cook, foodie, hobbyist they are great talking points.

I think now unfortunately Takeda may be a case of fashion over professional practicality.

I love using my takeda in a pro kitchen. Not on the line but as a prep monster. And I usually use knives with less hight (masamoto, mizuno,fowler) but find the takeda quite enjoyable and a nice change of pace that can really cut anything.

I have around 10 Chinese cleavers, but had this one made to be my dream cleaver.
Aogami Super Steel and Damascus, but with the black finish going 2/3 up in homage to the traditional Chinese Cleavers.

Nice cleaver,most of mine have been barrel handle chinese carbons.A cleaver I use at home is the Suien Virgin Carbon,takes a sharp edge & holds it well,I don't mind a larger blade wt. a little weight.Works well as spatula putting food in the skillet.

In all it is a slower knife to use than a traditional shaped “chefs” knife, which does slow production down in a professional kitchen environment. However for the home cook, foodie, hobbyist they are great talking points.

Not many J-knives take the shape of a "traditional chef's knife". The Takeda's I've seen do have some belly, allowing for some rock chopping, but many professionals here prefer a flat profile.

I love using my 240 Takeda old skool in a pro kitchen. Prep and on the line. (Silver spacer one turbochef)

can takedas be fully custom ordered? say if i were to want a thicker one that doesn't flex and not quite as tall with way less belly. if you have gone through such a process, what was the wait time?

pretty sure Mr.Magnus has done just that…

but if you change the knife that much, is it possible that you don’t want a Takeda?

I think Magnus only waited a couple months. Another option might be Watanabe.

I wouldn't buy a Takeda these days. Too may other options that you'll know perform.

got a chance to try out mhenry's custom 270 and i'm so floored by it that i decided to order my own. i didn't think i would like it because it's so thin and light, but it performs more like a beefy knife yet with the agility of a whimpy one.

got a chance to try out mhenry's custom 270 and i'm so floored by it that i decided to order my own. i didn't think i would like it because it's so thin and light, but it performs more like a beefy knife yet with the agility of a whimpy one.

Pics or no truthiness

haha, all i needed was one day to know (for sure) i want this knife. i've already sharpened real nice and packaged it up to send back to mike. i'll post pics when mine arrives. i'll even let you take it for a spin josh, but craig is first in line.

it is a flat profile exactly 270 length and 56mm height with a low sitting nose per mike's concept, apparently he sent takeda a drawing and it came out just as he envisioned it. pretty much exactly what i want, except i want 57mm height :D and perhaps 265 length and slightly thicker spine if possible.

i was also considering a masakage koishi, but i get the suspicion it's more of a drawer queen type if that makes any sense. takeda is supremely easy to sharpen which is great, i'm really not a fan of stainless cladding due to its annoying behavior on stones.

haha, all i needed was one day to know (for sure) i want this knife. i've already sharpened real nice and packaged it up to send back to mike. i'll post pics when mine arrives. i'll even let you take it for a spin josh, but craig is first in line.

it is a flat profile exactly 270 length and 56mm height with a low sitting nose per mike's concept, apparently he sent takeda a drawing and it came out just as he envisioned it. pretty much exactly what i want, except i want 57mm height :D and perhaps 265 length and slightly thicker spine if possible.

i was also considering a masakage koishi, but i get the suspicion it's more of a drawer queen type if that makes any sense. takeda is supremely easy to sharpen which is great, i'm really not a fan of stainless cladding due to its annoying behavior on stones.

Uh...isn't Takeda using SS cladding now?

Hope to take a closer look at those new stainless clad versions at the New York Custom Knife show in New Jersey :) next weekend! He is listed has having a table again.

normally i would look in bst, but i am looking for specific attributes so custom is the only way, i like the 'new style' grind, wedging doesnt bother me as that can be worked out, stuff sticking to the side of the blade drives me nuts however.

Back