Are you a wolf, or a sheep?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I sit in the office after a good 12-16 hour shift, and just listen to the restaurant breathe.

I do the same thing after really intense shifts. More to collect my thoughts and return to normal than anything else.

i hate being in the office, i try to avoid going in there as much as possible cause it always means i'm doing paperwork/ordering/emails etc.
after a long ass shift i'm outta there in a rush to the nearest pub.

office stinks in my opinion nothing better than fresh air after a Saturday night service

My restaurant is in a hotel. There is no stopping to hear it breathe. I'm sure it would sound like Darth Vader if it did.

I walk out to the bar and order what ever I freaking like.

Maybe watching my staff buy houses and make babies isn't really why I'm in this?

So you want to be the chef! This world attracts a very special breed. Not everyone can do it. It’s a great life, you get to work six day, 80 hours a week. During the crazy season you might not see the light of day. The surroundings are beautiful, like the kitchen. This is where you get to sweat out of every pore of your body because it’s a 120° in July with 90% humidity. Some people call in hell, I call it home. The staff becomes your family (sometimes a dysfunctional one) after all you to see them more than you see your real family. Their problems become your problems and you pray to God that they show up sober every day. You also pray that the vendors got your orders right, arrive on time and intact with no backorders. Ah, yes a lovely life. Get in early put the stocks on, start getting your mis en place together, get specials together, take in orders. Check the line make sure they have all their mise en place together, fire of some specials and have the wait staff taste and understand them. Lunch crowd comes in. You try to survive lunch just to get to dinner. At 3:00 flip the kitchen over to the dinner menu. We start again by getting your mis en place together, get specials together, take in orders. Check of the line make sure they have all their mise en place together, fire of some specials and have the wait staff taste and understand them. Dinner rolls around and Genghis Khan and the hordes arrive. The micros machine sounds like an overly caffeinated telegrapher; if everything is working great it’s like a perfectly choreographed ballet. If not your in the weeds with the alligators and their taking chunks out of your posterior end. At the end of your shift if you haven’t gotten cut, burned or both it was great, if not your hands a look like 98¢ worth of ground round. The kitchen has to get cleaned up, you have to take inventory and get all your orders in, all while hoping that you have enough product to start getting mis en place for tomorrow. Mentally critique how service went and how to make it better and to get it out faster. Put out fires in the family/staff. You smell like a kitchen, grab a cold one and a shower. Yea, a very special breed. I wouldn’t change a thing! AS for lambs make mine herb crusted medium rare and a good Zin.

Harissa brined/ cherry wood smoked lamb racks, grilled and finished with Marcona almond/piquillo pepper romesco and preserved Meyer lemon relish. Heart breaker.

Haha I have experienced the majority of what is been discussed. I have no idea how long you have all been doing this gig for but for me it changes depending on what section I'm working and how confident I am. When I'm cooking, I'm definitely a lot louder and always have a bit of trash to talk as I guess I'm more in my element. In general though, I tend to work better during services when I can just focus on what I'm doing and I tone myself down a bit, especially when I'm plating and watching over the rookie cooking for me. I wouldn't say I'm a meek sheep though.. maybe an analytical owl. Once upon a time there was a running joke that putting me on the pass makes me angry as I suppose I'm very serious and hate people messing with my section. I got up one of the cooks the other day for leaving around used tongs and tea towels every time he passed through my section, leaving dirty arse skidmarks all over my bench. Not cool. These days if he still does it I just throw the tea towels and tongs at him

Latest posts

Back