Aritsugu knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a short nakiri in white #1 from the Kyoto shop just last week. love the market it's in.

Not to be nitpicky, and I have been completely wrong before, but just for my own edification I thought Aritsugu have not made any knives themselves for many moons, but orders to their specs from various independent Smiths. Yes, no?

Rick

Is there anything "wrong" with them contracting out to independents? Does it imply an inferior product? How many of the vendors do actually make their own knives?

Just curious

I don't think there is any issue. Provided they have a standard they want to achieve and the QC to make sure it had been met. I really like my a-type Aritsugu gyuto. No complaints from me.

I still have my a type that I got 4 or 5 years ago, it was my first Japanese gyuto and I still use it time to time. I remember I was on a mission thinning it but it was all fun actually. Smoke a j, put some music on and just get at it. Haha. Jon used have a great video on how he sharpened his a type and I remember just trying to copy what he was doing.

Does anyone here could give me some info about the third kanji? This is aritsugu yanagiba honyaki. I know the third kanji means 2 and what could be its meaning? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_064200.jpg
    IMG_20231130_064200.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231130_064122.jpg
    IMG_20231130_064122.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231130_064140.jpg
    IMG_20231130_064140.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone here could give me some info about the third kanji? This is aritsugu yanagiba honyaki. I know the third kanji means 2 and what could be its meaning? Thanks.

The third kanji is 仁 meaning "benevolence" or "charity", and I can only guess it's a character from one of the makers' names, or perhaps some custom engraving.
I think you were confusing it for 弍 or 二.

What do you think of the Aritsugu honyaki yanagiba in use so far?

Latest posts

Back