Artisan Utensils

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn’t really sure what to title this but I’m looking for nice and practical utensils but higher end. It would be even better if they were from smaller boutique sellers or handmade.

Basically I was poking around on the internet earlier and came across this spatula by Endeavor works and was thinking it would be amazing to have a set of similar utensils.

I know eating tools sells some titanium one, and they are some great handmade wooden utensils out there (I have some by Earlywood I enjoy).

Please recommend more and if you have experience with anything mentioned please share. Don’t mind spending some money on nicer things, but don’t want to waste it.

Due Buoi makes some nice utensils, including some stuff with titanium blades. Due Buoi also offers stiff (super duty) and flexible stainless spatulas in addition to "normal" flexibility. The olive wood is nice, or you can get the POM for cheaper and rehandle it.

There's also New West Knifeworks: https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/products/g-fusion-slotted-fish-spatula?variant=40419571826775
Is that a sharpened fish spatula??

Keep an eye out if RDG does another batch of these very nice offset spatulas: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/new-batch-of-rdg-titanium-offset-spatulas.69330/
That’s just the kinda thing that I’m looking for!!

Kuramoto make some really nice wooden utensils, they're carried by bernal. I have one that's basically my daily driver for any home cooking in pans. You can also use the wider ones to fluff rice or stir bigger pots of things in a sweeping motion that gets everything moving

Can't say I'm thrilled about that endeavour design in the OP; I hate these kind of 2-piece designs where the spatula is a seperate piece from the handle.
Personally I also steer away from any utensils that can't go in the dishwasher or are so expensive you become hesitant to use them. They're tools first of all.

Personally I also steer away from any utensils that can't go in the dishwasher or are so expensive you become hesitant to use them. They're tools first of all.

Are you like that with knives too? Personally, I want my utensils to inspire me to use them just like my knives do. If that means I have to wash them by hand, so be it.

Are you like that with knives too? Personally, I want my utensils to inspire me to use them just like my knives do. If that means I have to wash them by hand, so be it.
With knives there's a significant tradeoff in performance... I don't really see that with utensils. I have better things to do than unnecessarily adding more items to the handwashing list.
And so far my experiment of just throwing all my wooden spatulas in the dishwasher is actually working out really well.

Haven’t seen Due Buoi before, thanks for the recommendation
Quality is good, but pay attention to knuckle clearance if needed though.

I bought one of their spatulas, but when sitting flat my knuckles would touch due to the shallow angle of the handle.
I had to return it because of this, couldn't rest on a hot surface without risk of burning and couldn't use it at all in frying pans.

Can't say I'm thrilled about that endeavour design in the OP; I hate these kind of 2-piece designs where the spatula is a seperate piece from the handle.
No dishwasher here so not a problem 😆. Everything gets hand washed so I’m not too concerned about damaging it or anything

I know a bunch of the chefs on here swear by their spoons, but as a lowly home cook I don’t get the point yet. Guess I need to work on tasting while I cook
I have a small tub of various sized spoons from tiny tasting ones to large serving ones. I also used to not get it but once I set this up I would now hate to be without them. I find myself reaching for them often. I use cast iron and stainless a lot so grabbing a metal spoon is of no concern with that cookware. From peanut butter to basting, I got a spoon for that. :)

Every time I go to a thrift store, I look for cool spoons. I don't find many, but the ones I do tend to be pretty neat.

i relish a simple life.

my goto spoon is a $3 Korean Food spoon. its longer so it is great to cook with, stir with, etc.

i am not even interested in Artisan utensils. not my jam.

I have a small tub of various sized spoons from tiny tasting ones to large serving ones. I also used to not get it but once I set this up I would now hate to be without them. I find myself reaching for them often. I use cast iron and stainless a lot so grabbing a metal spoon is of no concern with that cookware. From peanut butter to basting, I got a spoon for that. :)
you bring up tasting. i have taken to using a tiny dish to taste with. it is the one i use for wasabi/soysauce.

i tend to keep redipping if i use a spoon. i have been cooking for others, so i just want to not re-dip a spoon a bunch of times.

Seems like I need to get some spoons now and see what I think.

you bring up tasting. i have taken to using a tiny dish to taste with. it is the one i use for wasabi/soysauce.

i tend to keep redipping if i use a spoon. i have been cooking for others, so i just want to not re-dip a spoon a bunch of times.
Are you saying that you scoop food into the tasting dish w/ the spoon and then eat out of the dish? So that the spoon isn’t eaten directly off of

Seems like I need to get some spoons now and see what I think.

Are you saying that you scoop food into the tasting dish w/ the spoon and then eat out of the dish? So that the spoon isn’t eaten directly off of
Yes. Mostly to taste gravy, soups sauces.

I'm going to do a spoon video one of these days. I really didn't much care for the Gestura spoon at first, but now I have seven of them (3 normal, 1 slotted, two gold normal, and one gold slotted). Almost all of them were factory seconds. It took me about two weeks to come around to them and now I really love them and wouldn't want to be without them. That said, they're very expensive for spoons but very inexpensive for kitchen tools. And there was so much thought that went into their design and manufacture, and the scale of their production is so small, that I don't mind paying the price (again, for mostly factory seconds). The length is very, very nice. The design is a bit esoteric, but the "wings" on the side help make it a much better stirrer, and the tip was specifically to reach into the corner of a Cambro. They are beautiful and a bunch of manufacturing steps goes into producing one, so on such a small scale.... I dunno. Just add one or two to your Bernal or JKI or wherever order that you can impulse buy one or two and get free shipping and see what the hype is or isn't about. But at first I didn't love them and now I do. They're not for everything, but they're for a lot of things.

Last edited:
Back