ATTN: WRISTWATCH GEEKS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the suggestions gents. Decided to go with one of these suckers:

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1449795908.571074.jpg

Victorinox 241518. Suits the majority of my needs appearance and performance wise, and I found it for a ridiculously low price with a no questions asked return policy. Thanks winter solstice sales! I'll probably switch out the band for a stainless bracelet sooner than later if it passes my nit-pickedness. I'll report back if anyone's interested.

Funny, as I'm also a fan and now currently wondering if I'm fan enough to splurge for this one. .

Thanks for all the suggestions gents. Decided to go with one of these suckers:

View attachment 29974

Victorinox 241518. Suits the majority of my needs appearance and performance wise, and I found it for a ridiculously low price with a no questions asked return policy. Thanks winter solstice sales! I'll probably switch out the band for a stainless bracelet sooner than later if it passes my nit-pickedness. I'll report back if anyone's interested.

I presume you realize that watch is an automatic, not a quartz. From the perspective of watch nuts, that is a big plus, since it has a real mechanical movement in it, rather than a quartz movement. No quartz watch is really worth any significant price from the point of view of a watch lover.

Nevertheless, the couple of comments. First, this watch will need to be serviced every few years (likely every 2 or 3), so you will need to budget for that. Also, if you don't wear it (automatic is wound by your arm's movement) or wind it, it will stop running after something like 48 hours -- depending on how long the 'power reserve' lasts. Then, you will need to reset the time and, more importantly, the date. If you change the date when the watch is between say 11pm and 2 am (when the date mechanism is moving the calendar wheel), it can damage the movement, so read your user's manual about that.

Good luck with the watch.

Yep, I am aware. Thanks fo the heads up though. I did a little research and this model has fairly accurate and reliable movement, especially at the price. I believe the power reserve is around 40 hours. If I do take a liking to this model, I'll be wearing it 12-14 hours a day, so it'll be interesting to see how well it operates in that respect. I originally was looking at Quartz just based on durability, but I think I may have been a bit off with that thinking. And I'm not too concerned if it loses 10-20 seconds a day. Thanks for the info regarding the date I wasn't aware that could be a potential issue.

Hmmmm, perhaps I should try to find where I put my Rolex diver! Haven't worn it in 15 years since cell phones became small enough to fit in pocket. I bet I could get a few nice knives outta it.

Hmmmm, perhaps I should try to find where I put my Rolex diver! Haven't worn it in 15 years since cell phones became small enough to fit in pocket. I bet I could get a few nice knives outta it.

On the link that Chuckles shared there's a lot of talk about rolexes, sounds like they hold their value pretty well.

"Watches. Dress watches or plain watches tell me the person is not a very physical individual or does not lead a physically demanding existence. Heavy-duty watches like G-Shocks are an indicator of the need for durability, which might indicate a certain toughness about a person. Expensive watches like Sinn or the like generally tell me the person will not go physical for small reasons, but if they do it will be serious."

(From a book on violence research, "Campfire Tales From Hell: Musings on Martial Arts, Survival, Bouncing, and General Thug Stuff")

Those are very handsome watches, and right around my price point for a couple models. I worry about how well they'd stand up to daily wear and tear though...

These are very good watches. Britsh brand, swiss made. They only sell direct via the web and bang for the buck is well up there. If you are considering a mechanical movement, Good pieces there. They have sales on very frequently so if you are considering this and are not in a hurry, wait a bit for a sale of some sort.

I do second Hamiltons. It was between a Hamilton and a CW for me until I found that I can get a brand new Baume et Mercier in the states from JomaShop for an unbelievable price. This is what I ended up getting as I was after a chrono:

http://www.jomashop.com/baume-mercier-8591.html

bill, isn't it? it's very understated yet elegant still. my favorite part admittedly is the strap, i havent seen anything else quite like it. i used my tax return to fund the purchase, you should too.

I really like my Hamilton Khaki. I wasn't fond of the strap so I swapped it out for a panatime thick leather strap with pre-v buckle. That Ti Khaki looks great!

I'm gonna try to get my hands on an Urban Jürgensen BIG8 at some point later this year. A steel diver's watch just doesn't go too well for formal occasions.

fcb6e49ebc26dc42503e1cb395467f6d.jpg

I'm gonna try to get my hands on an Urban Jürgensen BIG8 at some point later this year. A steel diver's watch just doesn't go too well for formal occasions.

Beautiful watch, many $$$$. would live one, I really the stuff they have come up with post the revival of the brand and now that it's back in Danish hands.

Look forward to pictures when you get it

My latest watch is a British brand Nite. I bought it because its tritium tubes are the brightest I've found. I really hate watches with painted on luminance that starts out bright as a neon beer sign but fade to unreadable after a couple of hours. Case in point-Lum-Tec watches.

I still regret not snatching up an omega SeaMaster at Costco several years back when they had them for or a little over 1K. Personally I really dig the Filson watch in the OP. I've been wearing a Submariner for over two decades and I could still get back every penny I paid for it so in the end I expect like most things value is fairly subjective. If I were buying a new one today I'd probably have to go with Shinola.

watchuseek.com has a forum that's even bigger and more active than this one if anyone want to go down that rabbit hole too. Watch recon, as someone already noted, is another go to for used watches

Watchuseek is where I buy my watches. Great community aswell.

IMG_20170107_213802_333.jpgIMG_20170107_212748_745.jpg
I like trying and trading watches as much as knives. Nothing too expensive as my lifestyle is rather tough on them. Big G-Shock fan for in the kitchen.

this one has the breguet look going on.

this one has the breguet look going on.

Urban Jürgensen predates Breguet.

Regarding the guilloche dial, Breguet has long since moved over to doing it the cheap & easy way, where instead of doing it on a solid silver dial, they do it on a gold dial and then paint it silver. This is a cheaper process because of the softness of the gold, but the guilloche pattern isn't as "clean" as when done on silver. Urban Jürgensen still do their dials in silver, the right way to do it.

https://www.urbanjurgensen.com/legacy/craftsmanship/guilloche

Also, the hands on a Breguet are most often stamped out and then chemically blued. Again, UJ goes more than one step beyond.

https://www.urbanjurgensen.com/legacy/craftsmanship/hands

Urban Jürgensen predates Breguet.

Regarding the guilloche dial, Breguet has long since moved over to doing it the cheap & easy way, where instead of doing it on a solid silver dial, they do it on a gold dial and then paint it silver. This is a cheaper process because of the softness of the gold, but the guilloche pattern isn't as "clean" as when done on silver. Urban Jürgensen still do their dials in silver, the right way to do it.

https://www.urbanjurgensen.com/legacy/craftsmanship/guilloche

Also, the hands on a Breguet are most often stamped out and then chemically blued. Again, UJ goes more than one step beyond.

https://www.urbanjurgensen.com/legacy/craftsmanship/hands

definitely notches above a breguet!

I´ve looked at a multiplude of watches before finaly buying this one:
http://manniche.com/product/cph-st1/

I´ve been picky, resulting in that I haven´t been using a watch in aprox 8 years.
Now I wear this every day.
It´s a limited collection of only 50 in black, and 50 in white.

@NO ChoP everyone considers G's just another digital watch until they worn one for several years and find it still doesn't look worn :)

Maybe someone can get them do to a version with a crox/diamond loaded armband, a contactless thermometer/FLIR and several easy to operate timers :)

Back