Australian in Indonesia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suntzu

Reaction score
hi folks,

im originally from Brisbane, spent a lot of time on the gold coast, and have now been in Indonesia for over 3 years now.

i dont have a collection of Japanese hand crafted knives as i've never had the need for them, but that doesnt mean i dont want some in the near future.

my favourite knife would be the elephant Sabatier, it has a wonderfully small handle and nicely weighted blade that in my hands allows me to do small cutting and also fish filleting with little effort.

up there for adaptability would be the chinese chopper, i love the chinese choppers for their ability to process vegetables on a smaller cutting board setup.... but if i do have the cutting board real estate then i enjoy to get active with standard push cutting technique on the chef knife.

sooooo... im considering that a santoku may be the next knife of choice, although i might also consider a Kiritsuke.

anyhows, thats enough rambling in the intro.. i hope i can share information with like minded folks who are as passionate about the benefits of well crafted knives that are fit for purpose.

many thanks for the welcomes everyone.

to Marek07.. .. im mostly interested in the Kiritsuke for its size and shape... but as im a mollydooker with kitchen knives i guess that idea is out the window.. so down to the Santoku it is.

i will head to that link you posted.. at least it will point me in the right direction.... many thanks for the great advice :)

Welcome to the forums mate.

As Marek mentioned, you can certainly find a lot of kirutsuke shaped (aka K-tip) gyutos around. I have a Kagekiyo and quite like the flattish profile. Just be sure that you are getting a K-tip gyuto and not a single bevel kirutsuke (unless that's what you are after).

And yeah, fill in the questionairre- we love helping people spend their money!

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Kiritsuke shaped gyutos may still be in your future. They are dual bevelled.

I have mixed feelings about kiritsuke shaped gyuto. Before I joined here and was still a noob, I asked for a kiritsuke from tsukiji masamoto and instead, they sold me a kiritsuke gyuto (I had no idea so I just assumed what I was sold was what I wanted).

the profile is very flat and I'm not a fan of it but that's just me

Back