Bad case of stinky knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cold, no other problems to affect sense of smell. This one is noticeably worse than my other carbons. My 52100 knife has only had a noticeable smell once, after a big batch of guacamole with a lot of limes and garlic. Otherwise it hasn't had a detectable odor. The 30-plus year old Old Hickory (no idea what the alloy is) would smell occasionally, but nothing like this one. Going to have to work on it--unlike my other carbons, it smells too bad to use as is.

Have you tried Summers Eve for Damascus - when your knife has that 'not so fresh feeling'?

No, sticking to vinegar and hot water for now. :bigeek:

Send it to me. I will butcher a bunch of proteins, build up a nice patina for ya, and sent it back when it doesn't stink. No charge!

Send it to me. I will butcher a bunch of proteins, build up a nice patina for ya, and sent it back when it doesn't stink. No charge!

So, proteins the best bet? I can do that! But thanks for the offer.

I think we just tend to like to use proteins because they don't stink or discolor with carbon like a lot of other items and because you tend to get the pretty blues and purples from it, too.

I think we just tend to like to use proteins because they don't stink or discolor with carbon like a lot of other items and because you tend to get the pretty blues and purples from it, too.

:plus1: Now I have to make another run through the I love Blue thread.:biggrin:

After several rounds of vinegar, mustard, hot water, and soaking in beef blood (rare steaks) more chicken cut up tonite and NO stink. :dancecool: I am a happy camper. Thanks, all.

Is it starting to turn pretty colors?
Oh, yeah. A fair amount of purple and blue--with the damascus swirls, it's kind of like a muted peacock feather. Unfortunately I don't have the knack for getting it to show up in photos.

How deeply was the blade etched when you got it?
Now, how exactly would she be able to answer that question, lol? Given your experience, you can probably get a better idea from checking out the pic.

How deeply was the blade etched when you got it?

Sorry--left my optical comparator in my other pants.

Here's a photo showing the etched damascus:

Burke.jpg

The smell problem seems to have resolved as the patina has built up. It's actually got more of a smell when it's being washed than when it's being used. Makes me wonder about the chemistry involved. Isn't the sense of smell triggered by molecular interaction with the olefactory receptors? If so, something volatile is causing the stink.

By using your calibrated fingernail comparator. if it goes bumpity bump (thats a technical term) then it is probably etched deep. I was wondering if maybe the residual etchant or oxides might be causing the stink. Someone recently made a comment that deeply etched damascus might cause some food sticking, so I just assumed that folks on here knew what deeply etched damascus looked like.:O

What sort of knife is that?
It's a filet knife.
@*******: In order to make that call, you'd have to have some basis for comparison. Unless you are a knifemaker, hang out with knifemakers, or own (or have seen) multiple etching jobs, not that many folks are going to have a great idea of how to judge the depth of an etch.

Back