Bad servers great servers your stories

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, Next time I'm at your place I should start serving tables. I could make my airfare back in one night....

Yeah, but keep in mind waiting tables is a pretty much an occupation for people without souls. Its prostitution but without sex. I may be broke but atleast I have my dignity.
:justkidding:

they are making tons of money. Our summer didn't slow down that much. The servers complain that they only went home with $200 today or $300 yesterday. for 5 hours work. FY!

If I can add right... (Unlikely) that's between $40-$60 p/h ?? Is it like that everywhere in the u.s?Down here servers don't get half that. Does that mean they earn more than cooks? If so that's kinda ****

Cooks make $10-15/hr. servers make about $50/hr. Here in Minnesota a law has been passed raising the pre tip wage for servers to $9.50/hr.

That's why it is so easy to rip on them.

I waited tables for a year and a half, my best night I walked with $875. Still not worth it. I hated it.

Waw I had no idea! From my brief visit to the states I remember tipping is pretty much compulsory.
Very different down here they get a flat rate of between $18-$25 p/h but virtually no tips. What you would call a line cook usually gets between 38k-45k per year salary but works 50-70 hours so adds up to peanuts anyway.
Definitely can't be in it for the money !

i know it's standard practice to have new silverware for each course, but i just don't see what the big deal is. i would eat each course with my fingers if i had to and think nothing of it. i'm never one for 'service' anyway, only care about the food.

You wouldn't toss a salad in the same bowl used to bread chicken, would you?

Waw I had no idea! From my brief visit to the states I remember tipping is pretty much compulsory.
Very different down here they get a flat rate of between $18-$25 p/h but virtually no tips. What you would call a line cook usually gets between 38k-45k per year salary but works 50-70 hours so adds up to peanuts anyway.
Definitely can't be in it for the money !

In Hawaii tipping is expected. So when went abroad I would tip. At Ice Carving competition in Hokkaido it was really cold and snowing. Would go to these wonderful noodle shops maybe it was the weather but these were the best I had ever eaten. so I tipped. The lady came out of the shop in the snow to return my tip.

b46e4260200301329e3c005056a9545d

I used to try to get some some of my wait staff to take the line from time to time, ( carefully supervised). After the novelty quickly wore off, it became an eye opening and humbling experience. Certainly help them all work as a team , rather than adversaries .

I've done both; sous chef, and service, in a great Paris bistrot, "chef" in a french ski resort during the summer "off season" which I did because the owner, a friend, couldn't find a real chef for the 6 weeks. I had warned him that I had to leave just before the "big week", but he said that he was ok with that, and that he would do the cooking--Uh-oh....While "chef-ing" I realized that his front house organisation wasn't very good, and as my last day drew nigh i could fell his slight panic! Long story short; when I got back he said that having to cook was the biggest eye opener/way to improve the service he could imagine!

Wow. Many moons ago I worked at a TGI Friday's. We got paid $2.25 or so an hour and I was lucky to walk out with $50 in tips. I was a good waiter, the clientele was terrible. I remember a couple with a $50 bill. After paying, and receiving change, he handed me a dollar, and told me what a good job I did. I still enjoyed it, because of who I worked with. And, we usually just would make fun of the guests. Lol. I wouldn't mind working someplace where I made $200 a night.

This was before cell phones BTW so we "had" to talk to each other, if not our own tables.

Was still kinda neat waiting on Dennis Rodman, John Salley (ordered a vanilla shake, don't ask me why I remember that. lol) Vinnie Johnson, And while I didn't wait on him, John Delorean came in, heard he was a big jerk. We had lots of local celebs come to our place, for some strange reason.

Joe_Breezyjr

Back