Bashing Bones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW please don't use a vege cleaver to chop chicken bones. With some skill, there's no reason to chop chicken bones. And if you do, a small stainless euro chef knife will do fine. IMHO CCK cleaver isn't massive. OK in the end chicken stock is a quick stock. Please don't try to make chicken stock into veal demi. You'll just turn yourself into an ass.

You are confusing 2 cleavers. CCK has a line of nice heavy bone chopper cleavers. They have nothing to do with CCK vegie cleavers many people use except of similar form and steel and the handle ;)

I'm guessing the guy in the video is using what they call a barbeque cleaver. I have a CCK model. Its very large and heavy, easily capable of chopping poultry and pork bones.

Generally at work for poultry I use my honesuki, bashing through the bones is a bad thing because you end up with weird looking portions and bone fragments in the meat, which if you're serving the product to a paying customer is a bad thing. Use the tip of a petty or honesuki to probe for the joints and you'll find the bird wants to come apart with little to no force. That being said if I'm beating up backs and necks for stock I usually use a beater chef knife lying around the kitchen.

CCK makes other knives ? :whistling:
Ha gotcha I guess I just had vege cleavers on the brain.

Back