BB @ EE

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt if I were a real tease I would tell you that there is a new sanmai 240mm gyoto up and maybee post a link like this.

View attachment 6334

Bill, Seriously that is just awesome. I mean really Bill I don't know what else to say. Except maybe I like you horn handles better.:O

One day I will have one, one day.

Oivind,

Have you seen the musk ox paring knives now at EE? They look like they'd go beautifully with your collection.

Thanks;) however mr BB is soon to start on mine now and one of those is a parer;) and i cannot afford anoher for the next ten years.

Bill, I'm curious, especially as 15n20 and 1080 steels are used so often for damascus -- which of those two steels do you think makes a better monosteel knife, especially for kitchen use?

Ive googled and don't find that out. I see a lot of MS favorite 52100 for monosteel. But 52100 is an animal; it doesn't play well with others, hell it doesn't play well with its own and as I understood from a post of Ed Caffrey, it reacts very poorly to overheating (is this why integrals are a pita on forge welding on 52100?)
http://knifedogs.com/archive/index.php/t-18858.html?

Why will you have a blade in 15n20 or 1080, when there are so many really great steels out there?

Because 1080 and 15n20 are much easier for us newbie knife makers that don't want to send our blades out for heat treat. If anyone really familiar with HT wants to jump in here, please do.

of the two steels that you mention I would choose 15n20 for a monosteel knife. I have found that it is a very good steel on its' own with a good heat treat.

Thanks Bill. I hear Aldo has some 15n20 coming in soon for those of us who make knives by stock reduction.

Latest posts

Back