Bearnaise sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably cannot tell much from a still photo, but this is the bearnaise:

bearnaise.jpg

Anyone care to share the blender method? I think Eric Ripert has a method in the blender though I've never tried.

Seeing as how whole butter is already an emulsion I can see the merit in this. Though I've never tried it. I wonder about the temperature of the whole butter though. When I use clarified it's normally over 150 degrees.

I use whole butter in mine. I usually use about 12 yolks for a pound of butter (yeah i know). Put them in a bowl and whisk over heat. Right on the grill, burner, flat top, whatever. Whisk and cook them until they are light yellow and thick (it can take awhile, depending how aggressive you are with the heat). Then I start adding small cubes of room temp butter. At this point I usually put a wet folded towel on the apron in front of the burners/flattop and sit the bowl there. Still hot enough to melt the butter, but you don't have to hold and whisk it constantly. Add some butter, give it a whisk, let it sit, whisk again, repeat until incorporated, add more butter. At the end I will add lemon juice/worcestershire/tabasco/salt, whatever you like. You cook the eggs first by themselves, so the temperature of the butter doesnt matter. It holds really well and the whole butter tastes good. I hold mine on top of the pass, where my plates are, the underside of which has a heat lamp attached to it.

Anyone care to share the blender method? I think Eric Ripert has a method in the blender though I've never tried.

Ive done it in a robot coupe with clarified butter before. Basically just like making aioli in a robo, just sub out oil for warm clarified. I assume you could use whole butter too, just cook your eggs first like above, transfer to robo, start adding butter. The heat the robo generates when in constant use should help keep everything together. I've just never done this before, so don't try it for the first time 10 minutes before service starts, haha.

We do it all the time at the catering co I'm working at.Butter(clarified)has to be hot,we microwave it for 3 mins,yolks room temp add essence or water or lemon juice S&P etc or what ever else you want,turn on robo(or blender which is what we use) and drizzle in the butter.It works well.Before I started working there I'd never heard of this methode before.
Who'da thunk....

Im not a posting this from knowledge or anything, but a quick youtube search forund this...
[video=youtube;ObxZtCt5BsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObxZtCt5BsE[/video]

I dunno ptolemy...looks broken to me too. :eyebrow: Buy a whip.

Oh honey, THAT'S not broken. You should've seen what I made the other day. Playing with a microwave hollandaise recipe, and hubby interrupted at a bad time. It came out looking like cottage cheese. :yuck:

It tasted fine, tho, and we mopped up the oily residue with some fresh rolls. The next day I used a little boiling water to fix the leftovers--this was one ugly sauce, and it smoothed right out.

Oh, and I leave the herbs in.

Way cool! Nice to see Salty vids again!

Some ago I worked with sous chef from The Drones [Marco Pierre White].

Try reduction this method

Chop shallots thinly, garlic also. Cover with mixture of white vine and wv vinegar 1/5. DOnt use more liquid then just to cover. Throw in some black peppercorns. Throw whatever seasoning you wish,

Bring to boil and just about then take out the heat, if its only for bearnaise, when it gets to 90 degrees throw tarragon in, cover with cling film and cool in fridge.

Next day taste it, and tell me isnt it sweeter and with more body that the overcooked shite.

:D:D

Has anyone used Xanthan Gum to keep things stabilized?

being new here, and this is my first post. I would like to say I have done both the wisk and blender way. I have used a copper bowl over water and fryer (had no room on the stove). :eek2:

our recipe called for 1c of easy eggs (pretty much egg yolks in a carton) with 1lb of whole butter. I have since forgot how long you microwaved the butter but to hot and you get bad sauce and have to start over. (blender method):curse:

the most I had to do at one time was 50 egg yolks in the bowl. man my arm hurt for 2 weeks after that one. I think I ended with 2 gal. of sauce.:spiteful:

btw I am loving this forum I can sit and read all day about knifes and cooking.

I have been wanting to try xanthium and other stabilizers but have not had the opportunity to. But am willing to gum things up more any time.:cookegg:

Welcome to the Knut house! Boy howdy, that's a big batch of sauce!

50 yolks is a little too much for 2 people.

Been making hollandaise in the microwave lately--1 yolk, about 1/2 stick butter, lemon juice to taste. Soften the butter in the microwave (you want it softened, not melted, or you will get a nasty mess.) Meanwhile, whisk the yolk with the lemon juice. Mix it with the softened butter and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

Hollandaise1.jpg

Then nuke the mixture for 10-20 seconds, remove and whisk, and repeat as necessary. The mixture will go from lumpy to liquid, then make a thickened sauce (should only take about a minute or less cooking time) Season as desired.

Hollandaise3.jpg

Mix in some of bieniek's reduction, and you have a reasonable facsimile of bearnaise in just a couple of minutes.

It may not be perfect, but it's fast, easy, and a nice small quantity.

the 50 eggs was for a breakfast buffet. I agree I think there was over 200 people that day, being mom's day.

Microwaves are insane. I wish I had one. It's like a food science experiment.

I don't use the microwave for cooking much. Mainly reheating, thawing, and boiling water. But the microwave hollandaise works pretty well.

I'd use it to make rice, soften butter, un-stale bread, melt chocolate, reheat food, warm milk, "bake" potatoes..the food cooks itself! It's crazy.

I use ours too cook my daughter's chicken nuggets, hard boiled eggs and as a timer. That's it. It gets more use as a timer than anything else.

-AJ

Back