Beater Preferences

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems like beater = work horse for a lot of the folks responding here. which makes sense, actually.

I take it to just mean knives for tasks I don't want to use my good ones on and also knives for others to use. For example sometimes I have to cut things on a metal grill, which I use my Victorinox boner for

I think for the most part people are too dainty and nervous with their knives. I remember an old post on kf debating if you should use your good knives to take the pits out of avocados (using the bury the blade into the pit and twist method).

The first time I used my Kochi to remove an avocado pit I was extremely nervous...since then I have much more confidence in just using the knife normally for my kitchen tasks. I still break out the Sab's though when bones are involved...maybe I should give that a try next. :scared4:

Johnnychance has made me rethink this. My work knife (huge beater), is a Global chef knife. The thing isntough as nails, and takes a good enough edge, holding longer than you'd expect.
My beater, at home, however is an Adam Marr 240 AEB-L gyuto. It tales a real pounding, and boy did Adam ever nail the HT. It gets crazy sharp, and is just a tough knife all around.
A beater is something you use hard, but for us, a beater can still easily be a $450 knife.

When I bought my Globals everyone thought that they were to expensive. (at work) now when someone comes looking for a knife I will lend them out. I will also let them try on of my newer ones too. But I usually am right there. My point is they still are "expensive" in their eyes. There is some things that they wont even ask me for a Global, that I wouldn't even think twice about.

Knives are tools they are ment to be used. Would I use a Shig on a grill? Hell no!! But a Global not a problem.

Seems like this term is less relevant to gyuto, as most will be pretty versatile... Single bevels, at least mine, are a little harder, a little thinner, and without care, or a micro bevel... will chip way more than a spendy dt or carter gyuto.

If I'm loaning it out to dishwashers, (and frankly some of them I now trust more than the cooks so lets say new dishwashers) get the cheap tosa knives from http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&dept_id=13198 .

The grind is thick and uneven. The handles are utilitarian. On the other side...they resharpen a lot faster than a throw away shun. For me.. better to spend 2 min sharpening once a week, than to give away a global, shun, or German, and wait until it needs and hour of work to refurbish.

My Mac's, and my hammered damascus gyuto and suji would be considered beaters these days. When it comes to splitting skulls, I have a Tojiro Flash damascus nakiri that I took a pea-sized chunk from, and in fixing it, it became much thicker behind the edge...

Messermeisters. I saw this thread about the time I rediscovered my Messermeisters and thought about saying something then but never got around to it. You certainly don't have to baby these puppies. In comparison to Japanese knives they are inexpensive. They really excel at some tasks, e.g. Cutting heavily crusted beef, cutting through chicken bones, splitting lobster tails, etc. I love 'em.

my globals. They for some reason take a great beating, stay sharp for a decent amount of time. I just hate sharpening them.

Funnily enough, my globals are my easiest to sharpen knives yet don't keep the edge for that long.

My beater would be my Victorinox pastry knife. Cheap, sorta sharp and takes abuse well.

My beater every day knife is a Sakai Yusuke "extra thick", "extra harden" and "extra flat" profile 240mm gyuto.

Love that knife but I am the only one using it at work, unless someone comes to my station and needed to use it to cut something quickly. After I give him permission, of course,

Ferry

I'm using IKEA Gnistra knife as a beater. Frozen food and wood cutter for me.
ikea-365-gnistra-noz.jpg

It cost around 10$ and takes a surprisingly good edge. It even holds it for some time. Actually I've yet to see another knife in this price range that could come close to this Gnistra.
Though the handle is not for everyone.

I would have said Victorinox but i just bought in Thailand for like 9 bucks a 270mm "kom kom" stainless (=german soft steel) = high end line of Kiwi whose profile is classic french, it's grind is really well done. Bought a bunch to give away. Insanely good quality for the money I thought.

I also like the Tramontina VG10 set but those are no longer available cheaply a the price on the bay is up by 50%

I have a 30 plus year old "Maxam Japan" 8 inch chef knife for the dirty work. Doesn't hold an edge well but takes it back quickly. It now doubles as one of my learning knives for hand sharpening. Soft steel is great for creating and feeling the burr.

My line/beater knives are a Shun 8" and my Tojiro Honesuki. The Shun mostly because it was the first "real" knife I ever owned, and since graduating a bit (that is, gaining a particularly expensive knife habit), I don't really like having my carbon knives on the line. I know some people don't mind, but my carbons are for prep, service is simply too hectic to pay them any mind. It's sort of a co-incidence of my station too.....We do a squab dish on our tasting menu, which is not a all the time, so I have to break them down a la minute, so it's nice to have the Honesuki for breaking down/frenching. But that's made me realize how awesome it is to have the little knife for general utility anyways.

I keep my Kono HD slicer on line too, but If I could I'd get a much smaller version, like a 210 Suji...that plus the Honesuki would be I think a perfect line/beater setup.

T

I think that beater knife is diff than line knife or at least can be. Your line knife doesnt have to be a beater and your beater doesnt have to cost $8. I dont think of a beater cutting frozen foods or wood. When i think of beater i think of a knife..a sab will work... that can handle heavy tasks without throwing away all other performance. I use my misono Dragon as a beater, crack lobsters ect. I think the best beaters are the ones not just used to beat on but you dont have to worry about if you do. For me at least a big meaty whustoff with unatractive steel, grind, profile and handle isnt a beater its a peice of .....

Sakai Takayukis model of the classic OEM VG10 Hammered Damasus, Mahogany Western Handle Gyuto. The VG10 takes a nice edge, I have no problem giving it to even the greenest of prep cooks to knock out a couple of hours of work and I don't have to worry about it rusting from sitting wet/dirty on a cutting board. All that and I would have no problem using it for a shift myself.

When I think of beaters for me its definitely my fujiwara fkm yo-deba doing things like cracking lobster/bone anything really that i wouldn't do with my nice knives since it can take quite a bit of abuse.

I
It cost around 10$ and takes a surprisingly good edge. It even holds it for some time. Actually I've yet to see another knife in this price range that could come close to this Gnistra.
Though the handle is not for everyone.

Ah yes that handle .... I have fondled them a time or two and that thing has idiotic ergonomics. The groove is far too wide for one finger and much too narrow for two. It's like it was designed by somebody who had never designed a knife before and didn't bother testing his creation on a prototype or two.

I have the IKEA Slitbar gyuto and it is pretty decent a far as sharpness and edge retention are concerned. very thin at the edge, too.

For me there is a Bismark branded Chinese made German steel $30 dollar junk knife, or my Mrs furi set that I'll use to crack bones, tails etc otherwise its my Richmond laser that I learn to sharpen on, don't care if I ruin it and let her use.

My work knife is either a 240 Richmond Laser in AEB-L or a 8" Sab with the 3 piece blade/bolster/tang. If I'm going to be going through bones I have a 9" Mercer Genesis from culinary school and could die in a fire for all I cared. I used it hard for seven years and the rubber handle is worn smooth, the bolster has been ground down so I can still use the whole knife (which was not a fun or easy job to clean up... such a worthless overly thick bolster,) and the edge wears down way too quick. Screw that knife.

I have a Tojiro ITK 240 and the white steel in ok and I can handle a carbon knife on the line (see the Sab) but unless I'm chopping parsley I reach for the Laser. It would sit at home in a drawer but I don't trust my roommate with carbon knives.

I don't see myself ever spending too much on a knife. I thought I was crazy buying the laser... It does great at work and the Sab I stole off ebay. The Mercer I hate and spent $30k on.

Back