Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised anybody recalls that thread hahaha
Love the cleaver spirit you show. When I started to use one, it changed everything for me. I would have bought an expensive, exotic one, but ended up with with a Shibazi f/208-2 for $33.

It's not a cleaver, but the Japanese nakiri has a place in my kitchen. I was given a Kai Seki Magoroku 165 mm 30 years ago when I was in Japan--and continue to push cut my way through vegetables to this day. It's light, thin, tapered, and safe--but it doesn't chop.

More thinning, getting rid of the fat apex on Xi Gong Zi, now that’s a proper slicer
8BD8A078-7BFC-43EC-8853-173B8B8D656D.jpeg
5EEB2022-E95B-438C-A8E9-EC4362DCF978.jpeg

I'm surprised anybody recalls that thread hahaha

I'm constantly reading whatever has been written about Chinese cleavers for months. KKF, CKTG new forum (and old forum), Reddit, ChefTalks, blogs etc... I have a growing addiction on cleavers by reading and trying/using them at work. That thread gives me a huge smile whenever I read. Really good insights. 👊

A cleaver by Kojiro Watanabe that's thicker through out in comparison but still pretty thin near edge geometry. It's even more no fuss and still cuts fairly well on 99% of the things - perfect daily driver.

Kg1xuFLl.jpg
Is Kojiro Watanabe a new supplier for Shinichi or another member of the Wat clan? I'm curious how you ordered it.

what would be an attractive entry point for a gyuto and nakiri user who doesn't want to compromise on fit and finish? reading through the entire thread, many folks' journeys begin (and many end) with a CCK 1303/Chopper King. The value proposition is compelling - both seem to be lightweight, thin BTE, easy to sharpen/maintain, and still reasonably priced. But for someone looking for a less....rustic experience, looks like the next step up is in 3-4x price territory (Sugimoto #6, Gesshin Ginga). Are there compelling Goldilocks options I missed out on?

what would be an attractive entry point for a gyuto and nakiri user who doesn't want to compromise on fit and finish? reading through the entire thread, many folks' journeys begin (and many end) with a CCK 1303/Chopper King. The value proposition is compelling - both seem to be lightweight, thin BTE, easy to sharpen/maintain, and still reasonably priced. But for someone looking for a less....rustic experience, looks like the next step up is in 3-4x price territory (Sugimoto #6, Gesshin Ginga). Are there compelling Goldilocks options I missed out on?
What particularly about the 1303 or the chopper king don't you like? CCK also has a thin stainless option in the 1912 which feels similar to the 1303 but without the reactivity.

The Suien VC Cleaver is a great entry point. I have a Chopper King on the way to give my current Suien a little brother. I can give more opinions when it arrives in a week or so.

I would also avoid long handled cleavers for your first one. Save the exotic extras for your second or third one. This is more common with Japanese made cleavers.

Also don't feel afraid of going even cheaper with say a stainless steel Dexter Russell or a cheap stainless steel version at a local Asian grocery store. I know it sounds sacrilege but it would be a lotw cost entry point that will teach you everything you like or don't like.

What particularly about the 1303 or the chopper king don't you like? CCK also has a thin stainless option in the 1912 which feels similar to the 1303 but without the reactivity.
It's mostly subjective - I dislike the rat tail tang, the rough finish of the collar, and the laser etched branding. Truthfully, none of these issues would likely compromise performance. But they would detract from my enjoyment, and while I would have likely picked one up for $50 to satisfy my curiosity, I'd be happier investing $200-250 and getting into a knife that I'm more likely to pick up and enjoy interacting with.

It's mostly subjective - I dislike the rat tail tang, the rough finish of the collar, and the laser etched branding. Truthfully, none of these issues would likely compromise performance. But they would detract from my enjoyment, and while I would have likely picked one up for $50 to satisfy my curiosity, I'd be happier investing $200-250 and getting into a knife that I'm more likely to pick up and enjoy interacting with.
Gotcha, in that case, I really like the Matsubara cleaver. I have the ginsan model, but I think there's also a B#2 version that's a little cheaper.

The Suien VC Cleaver is a great entry point. I have a Chopper King on the way to give my current Suien a little brother. I can give more opinions when it arrives in a week or so.

I would also avoid long handled cleavers for your first one. Save the exotic extras for your second or third one. This is more common with Japanese made cleavers.
There seems to be a gaping hole in the market where Suien used to reign supreme - they're out of stock everywhere with no restocking ETAs. Will look into Matsubara - thanks for the tip! Has anyone owned/used the Sugimoto #1? @kpham12 mentioned on a separate thread that it's essentially a scaled back #6. Is the Sugimoto geometry a poor fit for a cleaver novice?

I've never been that picky.
Okay I lie. I have been that picky.

Me- "so how much to refinish the laser etch once you are done with the newer handle to replace the new handle on the new knife?"

😅🤣

@tostadas

You have convinced me. My third cleaver will be in blue#2 Wa handle.

My 4th will be a dedicated bone chopper... maybe 🤔

You might note that once you go much above $100 you leave all the real Chinese cleavers behind and everything becomes a Japanese interpretation of the style. I like Japanese steels but I'm not crazy about their nontraditional handles.
There is Chinese made cleaver above that range, this mostly custom or high end that’s not being sold overseas. I have 2 en route. One by XinGuo, one of my favorite Chinese maker and one by Fu Yi Dao, a maker focused mostly on restaurant supply like CCK but taping into the new higher end market recently, here’s videos of these two.

There is Chinese made cleaver above that range, this mostly custom or high end that’s not being sold overseas. I have 2 en route. One by XinGuo, one of my favorite Chinese maker and one by Fu Yi Dao, a maker focused mostly on restaurant supply like CCK but taping into the new higher end market recently, here’s videos of these two.
Um, if you ever feel like writing about how a mere Westerner might go about getting his hands on a XinGou cleaver, I'd be all ears. I have a number of the Japanese interpretations, and I am very happy with them, but I'd love to add in a high end Chinese take to the mix.

View attachment 224999
View attachment 225000
You have to do some searching to find those in China too but its a big country. Trust me, I've tried but its a big country.

Um, if you ever feel like writing about how a mere Westerner might go about getting his hands on a XinGou cleaver, I'd be all ears. I have a number of the Japanese interpretations, and I am very happy with them, but I'd love to add in a high end Chinese take to the mix.
Mailing knives overseas is just alot of hassle for individual maker, personally I used mail forward service tho I’m not sure if they do that in English… here’s his TaoBao store, most of knives would be 3-6 months waiting, tho he just moved to Shanghai and settling down so the wait might be alot longer for certain stuff. If you can get his knife mailed to your contact in China I’d highly recommend him.
https://m.tb.cn/h.UN0WBEz

You have to do some searching to find those in China too but its a big country. Trust me, I've tried but its a big country.
The same way you have to do some researching to learn about most of the knives here on the forum, tho internet helps bring enthusiasts together and it got easier.

View attachment 224999
View attachment 225000
Good stuff. Are the ones in the second video modeled after Sugimoto? Kind of ironic considering Sugimoto is said to be one of the first companies to produce Chinese cleavers in Japan.

Back