Beginner Kitchen Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the Shun does cost 2x more.....

That is true, but the Tojiro is priced so disproportionately lower than most knives, you could use that same argument against buying any mainstream mid-range knife. The Tojrio DP recipe: a good steel with competent heat treatment and can take and hold a good edge, profile not great but OK, geometry not great but OK, F&F not great but OK, handle not great but OK, nimbleness not great but OK and so forth...churn out tons of them and price them dirt cheap. Yeah with my preferences, I wouldn't spend twice to get a Shun classic, but for those that like the Shun classic, hey go for it if it makes you happy. But I would spend twice the price of a Tojiro for say like a Misono 440 or Masahiro MV, even though the steel is sightly softer, because for everything else that the Tojiro is merely OK at, those knives are excellent at, and it's a pleasure for me to use them. The Masamoto VG and Mac Pro are both also much more expensive than the Tojiro, but they still get often recommended.

I second the Tojiro in terms of bang for your buck it is hard to beat. If you want to spend a few bucks more consider a kikuichi

The Masahiro MV plastic handle, 148.. series, is a really pleasant knife to work with, especially the 21cm, very thin, very light, perfectly balanced, takes good edge pretty easy and holds it enough, not very hard, but hard enough, not soft, but very tough, and the handle has a nice form.

I have a knife, identical to Sakai Takayuki VG-10, the Gekko, from JCK, at 24cm, also very nice knife to work with, harder than the Masahiro. To my opinion the best knife to move from German knives to Japanese and a beautiful one.At a Kikuichi pdf., I read that this line had been voted sometime in Japan as the most beautiful knife of the year. Just more difficult to sharpen than the Masahiro. It is most likely, the same knife with Kikuichi Vg-10 hammered damascus, but much cheaper.

You cant go wrong with any of them.

Back