Beginners knife for the families favourite chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge0rge3boy

Reaction score
I am relatively new to all this but I have had my eyes opened by this great forum. I have been using cheap/blunt knifes my whole life and now it's time to upgrade!

Location? UK

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
- Chef's knife

What handed are you?
- Left

Are you interested in a Western handle?
- Probably Western but I am only guessing looking at comfort wise from seeing pictures

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
- 8 Inches

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
- £100

Knife use

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
- Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
- Slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
- An old £10 knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
- It seems the pinch grip and also the pointed finger grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
- It seems like slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
- I would say more durable and sharper
- Aesthetics: I like the look and shape of Japanese style knifes more than Western
- Comfort: I would like a relatively light knife as I have small hands and one that is better for chopping at the front of of the knife (unsure if rounded would be better, as I have never used)
- Ease of use: Ideally use straight out of the box as I am very knew to knife sharpening and have only recently purchased and steel rod (willing to learn other techniques)

Knife maintenance

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

- Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
- Yes, only within the last week (steel rod)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
- Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
- Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I have quite small hands and wrists for my size 5 feet 10, so a big heavy knife probably would not be suitable. I am mainly interested in having a knife that will last a very long time, that can be maintained to be very sharp.

A steel rod isn't a sharpening solution. It might hone an edge to extend it's life a bit, but eventually you'll have to actually sharpen something. There's no point upgrading in knife when it's not getting sharpened. You're better off with a cheap Victorinox and an actual sharpening stone, than a 300 euro knife that just gets neglected and eventually goes blunt.

A very comfortable, unexpensive knife is the Pallarès Solsona, 22cm, C60 @ 60Rc. About €40. Have it sharpened before use. Don't know about availability in the UK.
For further maintenance, get a 2k stone with knivesandtools.co.uk

^

A couple of good recommendations above. I would definitely advise Victorinox - I haven't seen any other knives used more frequently in restaurant kitchens in the UK.

I also do have a Pallares Solsana, and it's very cool and good for the price, though it did need sharpening/thinning. I'm pretty sure they're not readily available in the UK... and god knows what'll happen atm if you try to order from Spain!

No reason not to suggest the victorinox there, use the rest of the money to get yourself a good 1000 grit stone and a strop block. Work with that for a while, get good at all of those things, then maybe down the road decide if you want to fall down the rabbit hole. It's deep, that hole. You've been warned.

No reason not to suggest the victorinox there, use the rest of the money to get yourself a good 1000 grit stone and a strop block. Work with that for a while, get good at all of those things, then maybe down the road decide if you want to fall down the rabbit hole. It's deep, that hole. You've been warned.
A steel rod isn't a sharpening solution. It might hone an edge to extend it's life a bit, but eventually you'll have to actually sharpen something. There's no point upgrading in knife when it's not getting sharpened. You're better off with a cheap Victorinox and an actual sharpening stone, than a 300 euro knife that just gets neglected and eventually goes blunt.
Would a stone be better than one of those plastic manual knife sharpeners?

Well, there isn't really a "right" answer there (though everyone on this board agrees that one is better than the other), so I'll give pros and cons.

STONE:
PROS: Great results, very flexible (thinning, polishing, sharpening, honing - all can be done on a stone with god technique), relaxing and fun to use.
CONS: There's a learning curve. Getting great, consistent results takes practice. It can lead you down a rabbit hole where you get more and more and MORE AND MORE AND MORE...

PULL-THROUGH SHARPENER:
PROS: Zero learning curve, gives very consistent results
CONS: Those consistent results are consistently mediocre. You cannot adapt your sharpening to the blade in question: you will effectively regrind your blade to the angle of the device. The sharpening job done to your knife can be weaker than a good stone job. It removes a lot of metal. You can't thin with it. You can't really hone with it. It's as much fun to use as scratching fingernails down a chalkboard.

There you go, totally unbiased results. :D

Yes. Even the best pull-through sharpeners only restore the very edge. Stone sharpening allows you to restore the entire geometry. As the new edge will move to a slightly thicker part of the blade, some thinning is essential to keep the blade performing.
sharpen4.jpg

That being said, most pull-through sharpeners remove a lot of steel and deliver a ragged edge that won't hold. To be avoided.

Welcome....

A Victorinox is a great solution, I have several that are over 25 y.o., but my 8" wood handled chef cost $35 US.

BUT.....since you're here, two suggestions from a trusted online venue that I think would be outstanding upgrades, and the third (Tojiro) that was a long time value / intro knife. I have the early version of the CarboNext - an Ichimonji TKC - and you won't be disappointed.

I believe these three all come in under $120 US$, which I think is under the BP!00 mark.

For sharpening, I don't see a problem with a two sided combo stone thats 1000 grit on one side and 4000-6000 on the other, BUT for right now, 5$ invested in 1000 & 4000 grit wet/dry sandpaper will be more than enough for the first 6 mo.s ->year.

Now...a warning. If you have an addictive, eclectic, obsessive or eccentric personality - your other hobbies include cameras, cars, bicycles, coffee, espresso, wine, whiskey, cigars, crack, any number of other 'habits' that you know a LOT about, and your friends and family avoid talking about at gatherings for fear of being dragged into an endless conversation....buy your knife and go to a 12 step meeting fast. This is a great community...great at encouraging the new addict!

https://japanesechefsknife.comJCK Original Kagayaki CarboNext Series Gyuto (210mm)
JCK Original Kagayaki Blue Steel No.2 Clad Series Gyuto (210mm)
also
Tojiro DP

When I started my knife journey, about 5 years ago, I was like you: an enthusiastic home cook with bad knives. I had no idea how to sharpen a knife. One day, on a whim, I bought a $300 japanese knife. When it arrived, it was epiphanal/life-changing, and I'm not exaggerating. The thing was so sharp it was like nothing I'd ever experienced. There was no going back. I did need to learn how to take more care with my knives and I did need to learn how to sharpen on stones. Neither are rocket surgery and you can get the basics of sharpening in a few practice sessions.

So how does that relate to you? If you're looking for a serious upgrade (and you should be, you deserve it!) go with one of the japanese selections listed above, watch a sharpening video on youtube (the ones made by Japanese Knife Imports are great), and have fun cooking!

Welcome....

A Victorinox is a great solution, I have several that are over 25 y.o., but my 8" wood handled chef cost $35 US.

BUT.....since you're here, two suggestions from a trusted online venue that I think would be outstanding upgrades, and the third (Tojiro) that was a long time value / intro knife. I have the early version of the CarboNext - an Ichimonji TKC - and you won't be disappointed.

I believe these three all come in under $120 US$, which I think is under the BP!00 mark.

For sharpening, I don't see a problem with a two sided combo stone thats 1000 grit on one side and 4000-6000 on the other, BUT for right now, 5$ invested in 1000 & 4000 grit wet/dry sandpaper will be more than enough for the first 6 mo.s ->year.

Now...a warning. If you have an addictive, eclectic, obsessive or eccentric personality - your other hobbies include cameras, cars, bicycles, coffee, espresso, wine, whiskey, cigars, crack, any number of other 'habits' that you know a LOT about, and your friends and family avoid talking about at gatherings for fear of being dragged into an endless conversation....buy your knife and go to a 12 step meeting fast. This is a great community...great at encouraging the new addict!

https://japanesechefsknife.comJCK Original Kagayaki CarboNext Series Gyuto (210mm)
JCK Original Kagayaki Blue Steel No.2 Clad Series Gyuto (210mm)
also
Tojiro DP
The OP is left-handed.

If you mean a pull-through sharpener then absolutely, unequivocally yes a stone is significantly better.

Those things tear steel away and do so parallel to the edge. They wear your blade excessively and leave terrible, ragged edges that won't last. And that's on low HRC steel. I can't imagine running something 60+ through one.

Assuming OP goes with the Victorinox that others have mentioned for around $45, he can get a manual guided system like Lansky, Spyderco, etc for $40-$75 and end up within budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Stand...&qid=1612971069&sprefix=lansky,aps,237&sr=8-7
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Angle-Sh...qid=1612972156&sprefix=spyder,aps,228&sr=8-21
That’s the combo I would recommend if OP is reluctant to learn freehand sharpening. But if OP is ready to pick up a new skill, then swap out the sharpening system for a combo stone.

Correct, and IMHO...it doesn't matter. Stepping up from a 10bp beater, 100bp price range, western style gyuto, 2mm +/- spine.
Back in the day we all got hooked without an inkling off 70/30....

The OP is left-handed.

I have a pull-through sharpener and it's all I've used in the past. It is definitely just as disappointing as everyone is saying, plus in fact it requires its own type of "good technique" in order for it to work as intended. (Every tiny random unevenness in your pull-through stroke translates to a new bump or wave on the edge, and rather than being smoothed over by subsequent pulls, each of those bumps creates a "pothole effect" - so the next time you go over the same spot, the knife bounces and a bigger bump is created.) My old knife is not in great shape.

If you have to sharpen a knife, and a pull-through sharpener is what's available, it will get the knife to cut, and in that sense it does do the job. If you're camping or something, it can be useful to have a pull-through sharpener in your pocket. But.

This is maybe something slightly from the left field, but in your situation I'd take a look at this.
https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/collections/gyuto-knives/products/masutani-v10-gyuto-180mmYeah it's only 180mm, but at home it'll be enough for most things anyway. At home I like to use that size quite a lot. The 60 hrc hardness on the VG10 steel will blow the Victorinox out of the water in edge retention and sharpness. Also it looks nice. The VG10 isn't the easiest to sharpen, but it's not too bad either.

One added benefit of the 180 size is, if you end up starting to learn sharpening, the shorter blade is so much more easier to learn with than with a longer one.

SeattleBen beat me to it, but the Mac suggestion is very solid. If you can find a Mac superior chef knife (Pro is even better) in UK for a fair price, you won't regret getting one. Again much better steel than the Victorinox and more versatile profile too. I just gifted two Superior 210 to friends. got them for 62€ per knife. Both were super excited to get them. One just started at a culinary school the other was my neighbor.

I also like the Tojiro suggestion a lot. Great knife for the price.

Correct, and IMHO...it doesn't matter.
Expect serious sticking of the produce on the left face. If one being a lefty wants a Japanese yo-blade, consider one with an inverted geometry. Both Misono and Masahiro make them. Misono asks a 15% premium.

Back