Bernal Cutlery & Sakai Kikumori Nakagawa?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the 240, white 1 version a couple months ago—prefer w1 to b1; also wanted the ho wood handle over burnt chestnut.

Been enjoying the knife a lot, lovely profile; one of my faves these days after a 'lil thinning and sharpening; steel is wonderful; nimble, nice in hand feel.

02B3E118-C18C-4D5A-9BF2-143045EC2C6E.jpg

BC3C6D83-CECB-414F-9729-B45E5C80C971.jpg

I have multiple from Kikumori and I'm finding them to be some of my favorites because the proportions are about perfect for me and they cut like a mother! I haven't tried any from Nakagawa, but the ones from Tanaka I have are stellar. I have a white 2 kasumi 270, white 2 choyo 270, and a blue 1 dammy 270 coming. I'm kinda hooked on them ATM LOL!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Curious about the one you posted—highly unusual to see a 240 Japanese made gyuto in that height.
The white 1 KU line by Sakai Kikumori that very closely resembled the knives by Matusbara were about that size. I checked one out in store and it absolutely wouldnt surprise me if they were from the same maker.

The white 1 KU line by Sakai Kikumori that very closely resembled the knives by Matusbara were about that size. I checked one out in store and it absolutely wouldnt surprise me if they were from the same maker.

Certainly the same height, but man that's a major righty grind.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 3.07.28 PM.png

Certainly the same height, but man that's a major righty grind.

View attachment 242763
The grind on the Matsubara White#2 knives that I've seen have not been that consistent along the edge. The white2 is more inconsistent than the blue or ginsan grinds. One of mine arrived really thick. Also quite possible the heel is just different than the midblade. Anyways, all of mine were close to 50/50 grinds.

Picked up the 240, white 1 version a couple months ago—prefer w1 to b1; also wanted the ho wood handle over burnt chestnut.

Been enjoying the knife a lot, lovely profile; one of my faves these days after a 'lil thinning and sharpening; steel is wonderful; nimble, nice in hand feel.

View attachment 242723
View attachment 242724
this looks great!! how is the grind?

Latest posts

Back