Best cheap knives ever??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a basic Cuisinart serrated tomato knife from Ross for like $10 over 10+ years ago and it still cuts through my fruits cleanly. I've never sharpened it, and never give it a thought when tossing it in the dishwasher either. One of the front poking tines snapped off years ago, but I can't find any reason to get rid or replace it. Some things just seem work.

Without thinking of the German/Brazil history, I always thought it was funny seeing the white handled Tramontinas with the German Steel. It's a cheap knife but the fact it was cheaper to ship the steel to Brazil then to make in Germany always gives me images of sweatshops. Unless that's just some kinda marketing gimmick...

I bought one today just to check it out. At the very least it'll make a usable line knife. Ill keep y'all posted when it arrives.

I'll be curious to read that. Looks confortable.

I have a Ikea Damascus VG10. It was a gift, but was 50$ new. Great great knife. Very shun like in the handle. Takes a great edge, and takes a beating. I actually have the whole set from this line. The only stainless kitchen knives i have, and I love them.

Anything from the Fujiwara FKH line, cheap and very good for the money.

dexter sani-safe line has to be one of the best values. 10" chefs for $30. last night i sharpened two of them with a don brand tri oil stone (hate these types), stropped on cardboard. got them both to pass the slice tomato without holding it test with see-thru thin slices.

Victorianox are great, dexters makes good stainless as well.

Tojiro may be best bang for the buck over shuns.

Dexter Russel carbon 10 inch cook's knife. When they were widely available 10+ years ago they only cost $14. I still see them around for $40...easy to sharpen and a pretty thin blade, I probably burned through a little over a half dozen these in my career.

Any further news or other success stories from the plethora of knives on Global Rakuten?

Now that the weather has been picking up around here, I haven't been doing much with knives. Other than cutting up food.

I'll be curious to read that. Looks confortable.

So I've had a little time to play with the "peasant chef knife" from lee valley. Fn'f is good, the handle is rather large though knuckle clearance is lacking a bit. The steel sharpens up nicely and is fairly unreactive for undisclosed carbon steel. The best workout that I've been able to give it so far was on the line while cutting roast lamb racks into portions. It is a great knife for this. The profile really reminds me of a tall boning knife and it's sturdy enough, probably just under 3mm on the spine, that it would do a great job of breaking down chickens into parts for frying/ roasting. I think i've had well over 30 dollars worth of fun with it so I'd say it's a good buy if you think it's a knife that might suit you.

Back