best cookbook for technique/fundamentals

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was about to write about the CIA book and finally designdog mentioned it. It goes through the five mother sauces, basics of soup bases, fundamentals of frying vs. saute, braising, etc. A lot of good books mentioned here. I like the Molly Stevens books and Child's, The Way to Cook got me started. You gotta love some of Bourdain like his intro to hollandaise: "If you have never done this before, you are going to fu#k it up." Love Ad Hoc and the rest of his books. Almost as addictive as the tools we use. We had a thread at one point; something about whether you read cookbooks for recipes or do you read them through like novels? After you read ten versions of the thoughts and recipes for beef stew, you acquire a concept. Harold McGee and flavor bible should also be part of your library I think. Leave out most of the books on knife skills. It's all right here.

Yeah, I was about to write about the CIA book and finally designdog mentioned it. It goes through the five mother sauces, basics of soup bases, fundamentals of frying vs. saute, braising, etc. A lot of good books mentioned here. I like the Molly Stevens books and Child's, The Way to Cook got me started. You gotta love some of Bourdain like his intro to hollandaise: "If you have never done this before, you are going to fu#k it up." Love Ad Hoc and the rest of his books. Almost as addictive as the tools we use. We had a thread at one point; something about whether you read cookbooks for recipes or do you read them through like novels? After you read ten versions of the thoughts and recipes for beef stew, you acquire a concept. Harold McGee and flavor bible should also be part of your library I think. Leave out most of the books on knife skills. It's all right here.

Oh crap! The Flavor Bible is essential! I spaced that one off entirely. Been a couple years since I dug into it, but it was really helpful when I was getting writers block trying to come up with a special, or spitball new menu ideas. Thanks for the reminder Seth.

Culinary Artistry. Excellent resource. Don't leave home without it.

The Zuni Cafe Cookbook is among the most informative, eye-opening books on cookery I've encountered. It's not really a carefully constructed introduction to technique, but it's a freaking miracle of paper and glue if you regard it as the recorded observations of an incredibly thoughtful and perceptive cook.

Dylan greys yachting recipes are very good, free on Amazon prime

They are pricey but you won't regret it. Even the photos are inspiring.

I always research the recipe for one dish. Loots of google and youtube. When you see a dish be made several chefs and enthusiasts you start to understand the basics in that particular dish. I think youtube is great for learning basics. Just look at Jacques Pepin omelette or when he debone a chicken. No book can show you that.

The books I will buy are, McGee on Food and cooking, Keller's Under Pressure and Modernist Cuisine at home.

I will second Ad Hoc, it is my favorite cook book. The recipes are all extremely delicious and while some may be complex, Keller and Ruhlman really have a way with words, which clearly and concisely describes the process. The pictures and overall workmanship of the book mirrors Keller's commitment to quality as well.

Enjoy,

Pete

chiffonodd, King County has an excellent library system. A good way to try before you buy.

I will second Ad Hoc, it is my favorite cook book. The recipes are all extremely delicious and while some may be complex, Keller and Ruhlman really have a way with words, which clearly and concisely describes the process. The pictures and overall workmanship of the book mirrors Keller's commitment to quality as well.

Enjoy,

Pete

My guess is that it is Ruhlman that makes the read so easy...Keller for the wealth of information.

Keller's under pressure is a nice book but no thing for basics, it is just a bunch of recipes you won t try un less you have a professional vacuum chamber and sous vide bath..
Modernist cuisine at home is more fun and generalist.

Heston Blumenthal at home is also a wonderful one for basics. And cheap 😉

all of this books are very interessant. You could try a Sample of "building of a meal" by Kindle for exemple.

It s like modernist cuisine but deeply/full explained.

basics? fundamental techiques?

i'll probably get lynched and burned at the stake..but i like the big fat ATK book. it breaks it down to simple things. kinda shows you the "Rules" to start with..and you can go about breaking those rules later.

basics? fundamental techiques?

i'll probably get lynched and burned at the stake..but i like the big fat ATK book. it breaks it down to simple things. kinda shows you the "Rules" to start with..and you can go about breaking those rules later.

Which is the big fat? Cooking for geeks?

Lot's of good stuff in this thread. My two cents: get three or four of these books, and DVD's, and study them. Practice and taste. Then, regularly focus on an ingredient, or a technique, and study what they all have to say about it (and take a look at cookingforengineers.com). I've found it to be the equivilent of immersion vs. lessons in learning a language. Both are necessary for mastery. And, hit youtube -- watch 10 people make a dish or demonstrate a technique. You'll eventually recognize what is good and what is not. Keep what is good, shun what is bad. And always remember techniques sometimes don't make sense until you've done them 20 or 100 times.

Cheers,

Jack

I agree that routine is everything but if if you don#t work in a restaurant the routine will come slowly.. Knowledge helps too!

After a wonderful evening at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal I decided to buy the restaurant's Bible: Historic
A beautiful book with brillant recipes, a lot of interessant and funny stories, sketches.

The most important is that Heston not only explains how to but also why and that makes the difference with 99% of the other books.
For exemple, I used to hate reading things like "Start your broth using cold water for a better taste". I generally don't believe this kind of rumours if I the guys doesn't explain a bit scientifically..

A bit off-topic but I used to have a chef who was very good in service (10 years in Michelin-star restaurants) but the guy was sometimes a bit a liar and it was difficult to believe the tricks he wanted to teach me.

Back