Best grind on a production knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easing the shoulders on Heijis typically increases stickage, which negates increased cutting ability.

and is that the case with most other knives that have a shoulder about half way down the blade? i never tried doing that for fear of that exact reason. i like blades that push foods away vs gliding through. for example tanaka blue is the thinnest blade i have behind the edge but i don't care for it as it's a glider.

The ones I've tried, yes. Heiji, Yoshihiro, Tanaka, etc.

In any case it is a superb geometry,it is very slight near the edge.I think some makers make the area just above the edge thinner making the knives easy to sharpen on whetstones.I think Jon is right that is not done on a wheel.

Americans do know concave thats for sure.Some makers take the easy way of blade thinning by grinding a concave bevel on both sides with a grinding wheel. Cutco knives does this,you get a thin edge,but the overall geometry from from spine to edge does not cut anywhere close to a fine Japanese blade.Even Ming's Areo knife has a concave grind.

Most American & European production blades are thick behind the edge.Some makers have tried a more Japan style Gyuto simply because they work better.I have used German & Forschner blades in production kitchens.I will take a Japan blade anyday.

Try sharpening a Heiji or Takeda and not taking concavity into account: it'll suck. Cutco these knives are not.

i know my kono hd is a laser but it has very good food release i mirror polished it which helps a bit imo.

Sorry should have clarified, falling through food without much sticktion (sp?) and minimal steering. I haven't handled many knives, but hear people talking constantly about messed up grinds which diminishes performance.

Of the OOTB production knives I've used, the Suisin Inox honyaki, the Tadatsuna, the Sakai Yusuke and the Gesshin Ginga were the best at "falling through food". All of them had moderate "stiction", which is the tradeoff you make. All of them have thin blades, and are in the "laser" or "laser-like" category.

You mentioned "messed up grinds", and this is usually seen in thin knives that are not thin "behind the edge" so that it takes a lot of force to cut food like carrots. These knives need anywhere from minor to major tweaks to be good cutters. Some that I have used are the Richmond Artifex and Addict, the Hiromoto AS, the Bu-Rei-Zen (Blazen), the Fujiwara FKH and the Hattori HD.

Knives by Murray Carter would fall into the first category, but I don't consider them "production" knives.

Hope this may answer your question.

Rick

Of the OOTB production knives I've used, the Suisin Inox honyaki, the Tadatsuna, the Sakai Yusuke and the Gesshin Ginga were the best at "falling through food". All of them had moderate "stiction", which is the tradeoff you make. All of them have thin blades, and are in the "laser" or "laser-like" category.

You mentioned "messed up grinds", and this is usually seen in thin knives that are not thin "behind the edge" so that it takes a lot of force to cut food like carrots. These knives need anywhere from minor to major tweaks to be good cutters. Some that I have used are the Richmond Artifex and Addict, the Hiromoto AS, the Bu-Rei-Zen (Blazen), the Fujiwara FKH and the Hattori HD.

Knives by Murray Carter would fall into the first category, but I don't consider them "production" knives.

Hope this may answer your question.

Rick

Thanks Rick that's what I was looking to know. I'm just getting started and trying to experience what's the best of production knives (ie not knives you have to get on a waiting list to order). Actually good to know what knives are subpar performers not to waste money on those.

Thanks Rick that's what I was looking to know. I'm just getting started and trying to experience what's the best of production knives (ie not knives you have to get on a waiting list to order). Actually good to know what knives are subpar performers not to waste money on those.

One of the great benefits of KKF is a pretty good passaround system, where you can try out a knife for the price of postage and insurance. Keep your eyes open for a passaround you might be interested in. The more exposure you get to various knives the better, and it beats buying them.

My Gesshin Ginga 240mm grind was beautiful out of the box. Not overly sharp but it still slices very well because of that very nice thin grind. It's probably time to take it to my stones for a quick touch-up since it has been my go-to knife that sees daily use. Even last night it was used for dinner prep and finished up by cleanly slicing through a large watermelon like it was soft butter.

My Gesshin Ginga 240mm grind was beautiful out of the box. Not overly sharp but it still slices very well because of that very nice thin grind. It's probably time to take it to my stones for a quick touch-up since it has been my go-to knife that sees daily use. Even last night it was used for dinner prep and finished up by cleanly slicing through a large watermelon like it was soft butter.

I would just put a micro bevel on it, with a finishing stone, if it's not chipped. Keep that stock grind as long as possible.

Back