Best Gyuto, $300-$400(ish)???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, I don't know if you're going to outperform your current Kono or Moritaka KS....

Both deliver superior bang for the buck.

Maybe go with something completely different; Zakuri, Mizuno, Yoshikane, etc...may fill a void.

what i will say here is that you are getting A LOT of different suggestions on what people think are the best knives for them based on their own preferences as well as overall performance.

the first thing that you need to do is decide what kind of knife fits your needs and preferences first. if you like the profile of the konosuke and believe that you would like to replace/upgrade, there are tons of options out there (masamoto KS, suisin IH, etc). now, if you would like to get something to compliment your konosuke, then you would want to look into the thicker, heartier knives (heiji, gengetsu, etc)

i for one have a 270mm kono HD gyuto and a 210mm IH petty and complimented them with a 240mm a-type gyuto. i did this because i believe thick and heavy knives do affect performance no matter how thin behind the edge they are. if you like the laser and want something to compliment it but dont care for the thicker heavy knives there are also options (mizuno, a-type, etc.)

once you answer these questions, you will narrow down your search considerably. good luck!!

TK-

I have been eyeing the Gengetsu knives. Thanks for the feed back. Is it as thin behind the edge as the Kochi? Looks like it has more of a tip than the Kochis. Did you use a 240 or a 270? Where is the balance point?

Sorry for all the questions. I am also really interested in a Masamoto KS but would possibly hold off for a Gengetsu but it sound like it might be at least a couple months.

Most of the knives in this price range that I am interested in are not in stock! Patience is not a strong suit for me.

Cheers,
rj
I very much agree with Chuck's response. With regard to balance, like any wa-handled Japanese knife, they are balanced forward of the machi by a fair amount. I don't remember exactly where but I'd guess two cm forward of the heel. It is a little thicker than a laser but I find it is outstanding in term of wedging. It cuts like a very thin knife and with very little resistance, like some other knives but has a somewhat more substantial feel and releases food so well, I had to stand there, sacrificing potatoes over and over. The dude that made Chuck's knife found the holy grail of grinds. I only hope he does it one more time on mine. With regard to the tip, it wasn't as pronounced as I generally prefer, nor is it quite as low but this knife is worth adjusting your cutting style to use. I would also talk to Jon. I gather some very subtle modifications might be in the works so the next batch might be slightly different.

what i will say here is that you are getting A LOT of different suggestions on what people think are the best knives for them based on their own preferences as well as overall performance.

the first thing that you need to do is decide what kind of knife fits your needs and preferences first. if you like the profile of the konosuke and believe that you would like to replace/upgrade, there are tons of options out there (masamoto KS, suisin IH, etc). now, if you would like to get something to compliment your konosuke, then you would want to look into the thicker, heartier knives (heiji, gengetsu, etc)

i for one have a 270mm kono HD gyuto and a 210mm IH petty and complimented them with a 240mm a-type gyuto. i did this because i believe thick and heavy knives do affect performance no matter how thin behind the edge they are. if you like the laser and want something to compliment it but dont care for the thicker heavy knives there are also options (mizuno, a-type, etc.)

once you answer these questions, you will narrow down your search considerably. good luck!!

I really like my kono, but I also feel like theres a better knife out there for me...would like the profile to be a little flatter towards the heel, and the handle is too small for me. The Moritaka KS, I keep trying to make myself like it, but I just cant do it. It does cut nice, but it just doesnt feel right in my hand...handle is boxy, balance doesnt work for me. It feels awkward to use.

Realistically, I'll be getting other gyutos than just the one I am looking to purchase now. I want to add another laser, due to what I mentioned about the kono earlier, but I think my main concern right now is to replace my moritaka...so I think something with a little more heft to compliment my kono will come first. And based on what everyone has said about the gengetsu, I'll go ahead and shoot Jon an email and see whats going on with the second batch

I havent had the chance to checkout a Gengetsu yet either, but based on the reviews, they sound great.

Based on your comment about your issues with kono and ks, you may want to take a serious look at a Martell.
I dont own one (yet) but Ive had the chance to play with one.
Design and ergonomics are simply stunning. If it doesnt feel right in your hand, I dont know what will. There is a ton of small detail and understanding masterfully packed into a very nuisanced design.
IMO it's a true all rounder: thin, but rigid convex enough to help with release and slicing, but still low on the wedge scale.
It's everything that I always wanted my TKC to be. Its one of those knives that increased my knife IQ just by using it.

If what you want is more distinct specialization, this might not be the most exciting choice, but then again "balance" is a kind of specialization in its own way.

Forget the gyuto and snag the Martell suji w/ Keller handle that Dave has up. Killer deal!

Thanks for the feedback Chuck and TK59! Sounds exactly what I am looking for.

O/P-

Congrats on your new gig! Sorry to highjack but you posted almost exactly the same question I have right now.

Best of wishes!
rj

I havent had the chance to checkout a Gengetsu yet either, but based on the reviews, they sound great.

Based on your comment about your issues with kono and ks, you may want to take a serious look at a Martell.
I dont own one (yet) but Ive had the chance to play with one.
Design and ergonomics are simply stunning. If it doesnt feel right in your hand, I dont know what will. There is a ton of small detail and understanding masterfully packed into a very nuisanced design.
IMO it's a true all rounder: thin, but rigid convex enough to help with release and slicing, but still low on the wedge scale.
It's everything that I always wanted my TKC to be. Its one of those knives that increased my knife IQ just by using it.

If what you want is more distinct specialization, this might not be the most exciting choice, but then again "balance" is a kind of specialization in its own way.

+1 i'm loving mine

Masamoto KS. The best profile of any knife I've ever used. I absolutely love this knife.

Based on my own experiences as well as a few others, Masamoto KS is pretty spotty. They can be really nice or just okay. I won't be playing that lottery.

Based on my own experiences as well as a few others, Masamoto KS is pretty spotty. They can be really nice or just okay. I won't be playing that lottery.

Thanks for the input.

What do you mean spotty Tk? Issues in f&f or grind or heat treatment? Or something else?

Some are thicker than others. Salty's looks like it is concave ground but I know there are convex ground examples. Some of the factory edges are poorly ground, approaching what was on my A-type back when I got that with a factory edge. Fit and finish is below average for a $300 knife but I'm less concerned with that. Probably most of them are great knives but I've seen enough mediocre ones that I wouldn't want to take the chance, esp. when I go over to JKI and just about every knife I pick up is one that I would be happy to use... I hate to sound like a JKI fanboy but Jon's offerings have been very hard to ignore lately.

Fair enough, those seem like substantial differences performance-wise.

Yeah...I had a hard time justifying the masamoto ks price considering the only reason I wanted one was because of the profile. I just grinded down my kono #2 270mm with a 60 grit stone and gave it a ks profile. It really wasn't that hard.

I hate to sound like a JKI fanboy but Jon's offerings have been very hard to ignore lately.

I feel the same way man. Jon's stock just gets better and better. I watched the gengetsu video last night. Blown away! The 270 Gyuto looks like a sword...a very useable and efficient cutting machine in the kitchen kind of sword. It is weird. They look like something that heiji and hide would collaborate to make.

well i enjoy the lottery but i find these comments to be true for the masamoto but imo its not the only knife that fits this mold as far as mass produced knives go.
anywho in this price range its increasingly easier to get both good heat treat and consistent grind.

gotta add for 400 its getting to be the case you can get a maker that back up their work... so if you are unhappy odds are they are willing to work with you to find a solution... masamoto is far from doing any of these things for you.

I know I'm spoiled, but that's the beauty of shopping in person -- whether at JKI or Korin, or in Tokyo or Osaka. The KS 240 is sold out everywhere in Japan, and the 270 is getting harder to find. I picked mine up at Union Commerce on Kappabashi-dori in February, and it exhibits none of the issues mentioned above. It is no drawer queen, but the fit and finish are what a good workhorse knife should have. I had the shop do an uraoshi for me and it is just a sincere pleasure to use.

I know I'm spoiled, but that's the beauty of shopping in person -- whether at JKI or Korin, or in Tokyo or Osaka. The KS 240 is sold out everywhere in Japan, and the 270 is getting harder to find. I picked mine up at Union Commerce on Kappabashi-dori in February, and it exhibits none of the issues mentioned above. It is no drawer queen, but the fit and finish are what a good workhorse knife should have. I had the shop do an uraoshi for me and it is just a sincere pleasure to use.

You are very spoiled! My shopping in person included checking out Shuns, the Germans and Globals at the local 'high-end' kitchen shop.

God, I need to get out and travel a little.

Thanks for the input on your new KS. After reading the last number of posts, I was starting to question my lust for a KS gyuto.

Cheers,
rj

Sheesh you both are spoiled!! Closest I get to look at knives is the ones at walmart. I never make it to Kohls, but they just have what walmart has just out.:crying::guillotine::vmc:

i just want to say that my 240 KS has my absolute favorite profile. it's not my favorite geometry, but it has a great profile. i use it mostly in situations where i need to chop and slice, as it slices about as well as a nice suji, and chops great too.

To be honest my KS is probably the knife I use the least now. I find the tip is way too low for the way I cut things, a little more blade height would go a long way. The profile is good, and the f+f is pretty good, the knife just doesn't suit me I think

To be honest my KS is probably the knife I use the least now. I find the tip is way too low for the way I cut things, a little more blade height would go a long way. The profile is good, and the f+f is pretty good, the knife just doesn't suit me I think

What length and how much do you want for it? 1/2 joking.

I know that different grinds and different profiles are not for everyone.

Cheers,
rj

Sheesh you both are spoiled!! Closest I get to look at knives is the ones at walmart. I never make it to Kohls, but they just have what walmart has just out.

Oh, we used to dream of living in a corridor! Would have been a palace to us! We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House, huh!

i just want to say that my 240 KS has my absolute favorite profile. it's not my favorite geometry, but it has a great profile. i use it mostly in situations where i need to chop and slice, as it slices about as well as a nice suji, and chops great too.

I have heard this several times and i haven't been able to figure out what you mean when you say geometry of a knife? I understand the profile but what are you referring to when geometry is mentioned?

I have heard this several times and i haven't been able to figure out what you mean when you say geometry of a knife? I understand the profile but what are you referring to when geometry is mentioned?

Experts may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but I take the geometry of a knife to refer to the cross-section of the blade that is dictated by the grind. The geometry has a great effect on cutting performance.

You should be able to get a Moritaka custom made in that price range. I hade them make me my second custom cleaver last year (AS, Damascus with hammer pattern) told them what profile and size. It ran around $600. I would think a Gyuto would run a lot less.

Back